Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When are headlamps are TOO bright..???
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What headlamps are TOO bright..???
LED Headlamps
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
HID Headlamps
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Halogen Incandescent Headlamps
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Standard Incandescent Headlamps
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Hell man.. 6 volts are too bright
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Acetylene headlamps
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

Agree with hitest: Son of a bitch those LED bars are annoying.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

Their too bright when they melt the supply wires or the back of your next tinges when they are behind you.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Their too bright when they melt the supply wires or the back of your next tinges when they are behind you.

Stacy

To be fair- and based solely on your car list... From '92 to '99 I owned an '87 Syncro vanagon, and for a few years in college, sold car and truck accessories at Trimline. In about '91 we brought in a then-unheard of company called PIAA. We were the only dealer in the state, and while other folks were selling $80 Hellas, we sold $350 PIAAs- a pretty tough sell, until you turned them on! Needless to say, the front of my Syncro had two PIAA projector fogs and all four H4s(?) were replaced with bare PIAA bulbs. As you know, all four lights come on when on "high" in vans- so I had to individually relay and switch the inner brights for the PIAA bulbs. Then things got fun.

If someone came toward me with brights on- I could give them a quick flash of just the outer 85 watt(!) highs, and if they didn't dim them- I clicked on the inner 110 watt highs and lit up the whole of the earth! I called the outers Retina Roasters and the inners Cornea Cookers! My wife got to really enjoy trips with me. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

I had a set of PIAA's on my 70 Crewcab and rear ended a Volvo Wagon and killed one of my lights. I still have that PIAA light, they were and are superior to any Hella or most aftermarket lights on the market.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

As long as we are discussing "retaliatory lighting" I had a 7" thin Cibie Series 45 H2 driving light. Shot a beam about a mile down the canyon roads ahead of me. Needless to say, nobody left their brights dazzling me as they approached me from the front.

From Cibie's catalog: "...has the highest lumen to watt ratio of any automotive bulb manufactured, making it absolutely the most powerful light source available today in an automotive accessory lamp."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

None are too bright, as long as you're the one behind them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

I haven't wired this to the car yet- but in the garage on the test bench, it was a space heater. I can land light aircraft with it.

Unfortunately, I can hear every little pebble that bounces off the massive concave glass lens- over and above the noise from the sunroof.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

The solution:
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

I always find it amazing how when at night driving down the highway it seems every car has a different colour/brightness headlight. Remember the days when they were all the same?
lol
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
I always find it amazing how when at night driving down the highway it seems every car has a different colour/brightness headlight. Remember the days when they were all the same?
lol

You mean a dim yellow? Wink

I used halogen H4 back in the mid-'70s, and compared to the weak standard sealed beams, the light was very white-looking. I used to worry (just a little) about a ticket since the look of the E-code lenses and the color made them noticeable to the CHP. Never got a ticket, though, and I was careful to aim them regularly. I figured a ticket was cheaper than an accident, so I took the chance. Now those same lights look yellow compared to the newer xenon and especially the LED lamps.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

If found glaring or "dazzling" I fail them at the state vehicle inspection level.. and let the DMV make the call .. or... the next shop down the road who passes them Rolling Eyes

Our state doesn't check headlight aim any more at state inspection so we are on our own in NJ.

Damn.. ... I guess things have changed in NJ ??
The NJ State inspections used to be fairly strict??

NJ also used to check signals, steering, wipers, brakes, window glass, front suspension. When the system was turned over to a private contractor, it ran the same as before for a while, then the various tests were deleted over time until now, all they inspect is tailpipe emissions and whether the gas cap seals properly.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

I find it interesting that "acetylene" is actually out polling "halogen" right now. And, no, I did not vote for the former. How many Model T's are still running around out there with them installed?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: When are headlamps are TOO bright..??? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I find it interesting that "acetylene" is actually out polling "halogen" right now.?

C'mon ya know.. There's always gotta be those few people.. Rolling Eyes that just cant resist.. but really should..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I had to add them to the list.. just cause.. Laughing There will be at least one smart ass (currently 3) that has to check that lower box..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: