Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubravsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor? Reply with quote

Went to Calico Ghost town this weekend with the buggy and go tot test out the new rear torsion, body lift and bigger tires.... and had a blast!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, drove home Sunday through the pouring rain. (didn't cover the motor in any way) Got back and the motor wouldn't turn over. I figured since I'd never touched the starter, that might be it. Replaced it and no luck. Turned the main pulley with a big ratchet, and it was initially very tight, and then broke loose and now turns over fine. But wouldn't fire up.

Pulled spark plugs and they were carbon fouled, but not terrible. Checked the oil and suddenly looked like I had 1/2 quart too much. So I drained it and it initially came out clear, which was when I realized a bunch of water must have gotten in there through the carbs.

So I replaced oil, sprayed some WD40 in the spark plug holes, sprayed some brake cleaner in the carbs, and left it to sit for the afternoon. Got new plugs to put in tonight.

Any other advice for me? (other than the obvious "next time cover the damn carbs when you tow it in the rain - dumb#ss!"?). I got that one.... Smile

thanks in advance for any help
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor? Reply with quote

I've had tat happen except m motor was hydro-locked on one cylinder, kinda freaky ain't it?

You drained the oil which is good. Just start it up and take it for a good run and get it hot and the remaining water should evaporate out as long as your oil temps are above boiling point of water. IF they don't get that hot, I would take a good look at your oil and if it is at all murky I would drop it while its good and hot and let it drain over night.

brad
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor? Reply with quote

I used to tape plastic bags on my carbs, but these are pretty awesome to have.

http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Scrub+bag
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
doubravsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor? Reply with quote

Thanks! I started it up and ran it for a bit today.... oil looks cloudy so I'll change it again and then run it around to evap the rest....

Just ordered a pair of carb covers for the next time....
peterd3060
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Rain! What to do- water in motor? Reply with quote

Rain???😳

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: