Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

attaching clips to cards
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

We have ne cards to put on doors and rear. Can't figure out a REASONABLE way to get the clips onto the cards. I would love, at this point, to get the cards on the doors to see just how much the sound-deadening has done in the front seat, now that we have most carpet in place.

Plus, it will look nicer. . .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Push the U-part of the clip into the hole, parallel to the door panel, then pull the clip the other way onto the panel surface itself.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Be aware that the installed clips may need a bit of final positioning to align with the holes in the doors/body before pushing the panels into place.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

I used Cusser's method, but also had to nudge a few clips in with needle-nose pliers. In a few cases, I actually used a q-tip with a small amount of WD-40 on the clip to get it in. The board is not a solid mass and can be chipped or broken off if you're not careful.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

While the door panels were off did you do any and all other maintenance items. Hope for you that you replaced the plastic sheet behind the door panel.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
While the door panels were off did you do any and all other maintenance items. Hope for you that you replaced the plastic sheet behind the door panel.

Cleaned out all the sunflower seed shells, removed wires that might have been there for speakers, lubed up the regulator and locks, and put in a layer of Quick Roof. Also made sure the drain holes were unobstructed.

Cusser, we tried just pulling them onto the board, but that seemed so futile we couldn't get even one each on (myself and my son) even while holding them with pliers. Might have to give that q-tip/WD-40 a try.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

This is what Cusser was referring to, it's a heavier mil thickness plastic sheet to keep moisture away from the door card. I had some 10 mil plastic that I used to replace the old torn plastic. A thin bead of rtv holds it in place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the clips, they are pretty tight going on, I used a bit of silicone grease to help. You can open the u-slot just a bit but be careful and don't over-do it.

As mentioned, pre-align the clips to the holes and tap into place.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Remember what Cusser said. Put the u-bend entire in the hole first. Then push the open part around the edge of the hole. Use pliers to grip the v-shaped end, if necessary on some of them. Silicon grease might be better than my WD40 trick.

It's a good idea to install the corresponding rubber sleeves in the door holes also. And that's where I used the q-tip and silicone to lube the rubber opening, making the clip slide in nice and easy. I also applied several coats of oil-based Rustolem on the backside of the card. The color was very close to the vinyl color, in case I blew it a smidge when rolling and brushing the paint on. Even with a moisture barrier, some moisture starts forming mold after awhile. The brushed-on oil-based paint seals the interior or the card very well.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

We put new rubber sleeves in all the holes already, but with this help I see we have a ways to go before installing the cards if we want them to last.

Vapor seal AND oil paint on the backside? I know when I paint my bathrooms, I now add some mold-prevention stuff to the paint, to help preserve the greenboard walls.

TX-73, did you use the cards to draw on the plastic, or tape to the door?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Tape the plastic to the door. VW used some kind of flexible glue for this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

You don't have to paint the backside of the cards. I just did it because Every time I have removed those panels, there always seems to be some moisture damage, regardless if a vapor barrier was used.

Some people use double-sided tape to hold the plastic vapor barrier on. Others use flexible caulk, others use rtv sealant.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Some people use double-sided tape to hold the plastic vapor barrier on. Others use flexible caulk, others use rtv sealant.

Tim

Spray on adhesive worked well for me. Just remember to tape off the painted section of the door like in TX 73s pic so you won't get the glue everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Awreed, good idea. Next time I pull the cards, I'll give that a shot. The double-sided tape doesn't really seal as well as I like.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:

TX-73, did you use the cards to draw on the plastic, or tape to the door?

I used the cards to get the overall shape and cutouts for the plastic, then fine-tuned it on the door itself. I like RTV to attach the plastic because it's easier to peel off the door if the plastic needs to be pulled later to access door internals.
Taping off the paint surround helps not only for spray adhesive protection but also to help possible minor scratches from the clips as the door cards are positioned. Probably overkill but just my habit now.
And yes, good mention about the little rubber sleeves for the clips.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

We have a 77/sunroof. Vapor barrier on the back cards as well? I haven't figured out yet just where the back drain tubes end up.

Going to local marine store to see if I can't find a quart or pint of some better paint for all 4, just because.

"I DID batten down the hatches"
"Well, batten them down again. We'll teach those hatches"
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

In my '74 SB, the drain hoses simply drain into the interior of the quarter panel. If you look between the bottom of the quarter panel and the running board, you should have a large, obvious drain in that area. Back inside the car, shine a light while using a mirror to see this drain hole. Make sure it's clear.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

So those rear cards need the paint/barrier treatment also.

I learned something from this yesterday. I knew what RTV was, just didn't know what it stood for: Room Temperature Vulcanization.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-10-25-Ounce-Repositi...DYRJSA2X8A

I use this for the barrier film. Allows barrier to be removed and refitted without having to reapply glue.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

Put 2 coats of Rustoleum oil-based enamel on the backs Saturday. First one didn't take much material, but the last 3 all left "spots" where I could see the board absorbed a lot of the paint. Switched directions for the application on the second coat, about 5 hours after the first. Left them all day in the sun Sunday to dry.

I looked around at the home improvement stores and the thickest material I could find was 6mil. I don't need 250 square feet of it though!!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching clips to cards Reply with quote

I used the thickest plastic 12X12 paint drop cloths I could find. Get the thicker, more expensive one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: