Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Ed's car just did 900-some miles offroad in one excursion across Nevada to California and back. So he knows whether his fix worked or not.

I would add plates from the cage to the A pillars and B pillars and at the back as well. The A and B pillar plates should be 16 gauge at least and be at least a foot long each. The plates could have cute lightening holes, or even cuter dimple die holes. Adding doubler plates to the surface of the body where the plates meet it would be good.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Mal I made it from 16g 1x3 and the whole body sways side to side if you touch it. Ed I totally went and stalked your build page again and that thing looks great all painted up. I will definitely try some of your ideas because we know your baja is tried and true. I found an example of what dusty was talking about on the "father son build" it looks like a good idea but it would also make the body permamounted so I'm still not sure. Dusty mentioned dimple dyes so now I must Youtube that sorcery I can see many uses for some i must figure out how to make them.
project of pieces to be assemble to someday be a baja (inprogress)
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Shifty I am a little slow on some things and I just realized you are the one that asked me what I had learned building my car on my build thread LOL. As for my lift I used 1 1/2 x 3 x .083. Your lift is lighter metal it sounds like and maybe you are crushing it some and if that is the case you my need to put 3" pieces of pipe in each of the body mount holes for support perhaps.

Ed
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

a company named Bugzyla made body lifts out of .090, and they had a video showing you can flex lifts made of 16 gauge. their web site is gone, no idea about their status.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
a company named Bugzyla made body lifts out of .090, and they had a video showing you can flex lifts made of 16 gauge. their web site is gone, no idea about their status.

BugZyla.com wrote:

If anyone has any question feel free to call the shop 480-545-1400 M-F 8A-5P Mtn Time.

pulled that off a different thread could always try calling
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

I already have mine. not installed, just taking up space.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

I was surprised to read that Bugzyla's site was down.

So I researched the situation. I found the following on his Facebook page by Lori O'Neill:

Quote:
Family, friends, and others whose lives Daryll touched are invited to the Memorial at Mesa East Foursquare Church, 9350 E. Brown Rd., Mesa, AZ 85207. Service begins at 2p.m on Saturday, November 5, 2016.

Quote:
Daryll Davis, age 49, passed away peacefully on Sunday, October 30, 2016, at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa AZ. He was born January 16, 1967, in Buffalo NY, to Father Homer Davis and Mother Fay Riggs.
In 1985 Daryll found the Sunshine State in pursuit of escaping the Oregon rain. Daryll a man of God met his lovely wife Vonda Langhout in a local Church and married her on April 2nd 1993. Daryll was a fun loving person who found a friend in everyone he met. He was a Provider, a husband and Father, that pursued and lived life to the fullest in simple pleasure. He was always busy inventing, creating and telling a lot of jokes and reaching people in a deep and positive way. His Passion recreating VW Bugs and operating his own business Bugzyla. He loved sand railing with his family and putting his creations thru the rigor's of the AZ dunes. He is survived by his wife Vonda, son Jeffrey and daughter Alicia. Family, friends, and others whose lives Daryll touched are invited to the Memorial at Mesa East Foursquare Church, 9350 E. Brown Rd., Mesa, AZ 85207. Service begins at 2p.m on Saturday, November 5, 2016.

Apparently, Daryll passed away a couple of weeks ago. I think I'll post a thread about it.

So for the time being, his products will not be available.

That makes 2 Offroad VWs people I consider friends who were both good guys and both 11 years younger than me who have passed away this year.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

That sucks bad news for everyone he fielded soo many questions of mine a few years back when I got my very first Baja. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Well now I am on my next minor issue with this baja. I finally disassembled my front end and took the beam and such off to replace with my 6 wider "warrior style" the front beam has the cage run to both top and bottom of the beam but the frame head is still inplace as well. But the issue is i have a center steer rack and the frame head is getting in the way. I have been trying to look all over and see solutions for this and the only one I found that addressed this was on Chirco's project baja bug page 10 where he cut off the top of the frame head off to clear and it still had half the top depression for the beam to run through. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Pictures of what you currently have would help us help you.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: