Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My daily driver baja bug build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The flanges look like Bus IRS. What trans does it have?

Whatever the trans is, there is what your CV drive flanges are for.

That was the problem, I didn't know what trans it was for, it's a type 1 case. After a lot of research and help from a member on here, and people from some face book pages, it turns out it is an industrial transmission out of a bus. An 081 which has a rhino case, different style 4 spider diff and a few other differences. It is known as a type 2 industrial bus transmission from what I understand. Not at all common in the US.

A guy is shipping me a set from AZ. I'll take it a lot easier on these ones till I get an 002 in thier.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

been a while since I installed the used output flange, drove it a few times several times. but it has been getting cold out and windows would be fogged over in the am. within the last week I installed an auxiliary heater that has its own heater core and fan, mounted it on the back fire wall and plumed it in to the stock heater coolant lines on the Subaru. have been driving it all this week and I have to say it works great. it has finely become " My Daily Driver Baja Bug Build" i started 4 years ago.. needs a few finishing touches to make it a little less breezy in there but it works great for now.

need to add a few cage stiffeners to tie every thing together, better grommet for wiring harness, tie heater in to the factory heater channel, redo defrost hoses, and a few other minor things. But for now I think i have a fairly reliable Baja to drive around on a daily basis.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I read this build before, but after seeing a post about your subi swap, I re-read it... any updates since December? Have you done anything with the 002 trans swap, or are you still running the industrial bus box?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read this build before, but after seeing a post about your subi swap, I re-read it... any updates since December? Have you done anything with the 002 trans swap, or are you still running the industrial bus box?

Yes, I put the 002 in around March, and I am horrible at taking pictures lol. But since I have done that, seems to hold up to the power just fine. Been to the sans dunes a few times. Due to wipers not working that great it's my go to daily when not raining.

Getting about 25 mpg. Only left me stranded once. My fault, no gas gauge and ran out of fuel.

Overall the car is fun to drive, pretty reliable with just a few kinks to work out still.. Thanks for reading the story
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

Do you run paddles in the dunes, or just the KM2's?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Do you run paddles in the dunes, or just the KM2's?

Km2s all the time, run them down about 6psi front and rear. I really need to invest in a set of turning brakes. It didn't go every where but I have a lot of fun with it as is.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

crazy that it has been two years since i have put anything in this thread...starting the process of coilovers. was able to get a set of chromoly arms from muddy rudder. 1x3 unable to go to wide since i want it to fit in my toyhauler still...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

Niiiiiice rear arms!!!!!
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
Niiiiiice rear arms!!!!!

yea they are pretty sweet, he is a pretty good fabricator, has been building for the off road race vw community for a long time. they are microstub arms, i am going to try and document this build a little better then i did the subaru swap..
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

Bad_chopper wrote:
tobiism wrote:
Niiiiiice rear arms!!!!!

yea they are pretty sweet, he is a pretty good fabricator, has been building for the off road race vw community for a long time. they are microstub arms, i am going to try and document this build a little better then i did the subaru swap..

Awesome. Are you staying with the Thing suspension up front?
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

well my goad is to A arm the front, i purchased a program called suspension analyzer to help design since i am limited to 70 inch total width...we will see how things go though..i have till april to have it on the road again. even though it is a thing front end, it is still a ball joint that is maxed out already..so i will have about 14 inches of rear travel, and .5 down and about 6 inches of up travel in the front.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

first step was cut out old floor pans, well it was actually done long after i started

next step was build my own body lift with 1.5x2 rectangle tubing

the very start of the cage, two tubes that will run the length of and be welded to the tunnel. the beam, cage, and transmission will be tied into those

The start of the rear cage. didnt get good pictures

Good view of the coilover mounts, wish i would have taken a picture as i built them, they are plated on the underside of the tube, and verry stout

giant hole that had to be cut in the body to fit.

Last edited by Bad_chopper on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

i took some random videos of building the cage.not in the order of the build but still shows the process. these are down tubes that go from the upper tubes to the lower tubes
Link

Last edited by Bad_chopper on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

tube work for the roof part of the cage. looking at it now its a bit of an overkill

tied in the upper shock mount to the whole cage

front down tubes

Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

little video of more tube work. tubes that the shocks will end up mounting to and the actual coilover mounts them selfs.
Link

Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

getting ready to raptor liner the inside

and yes I had to bash the doors in a little bit to clearance for those tubes...i was so close to having it correct.

unfortunately once i got to this point i saw the light at the end of the tunnel and stopped paying closer attention to taking pictures of progress

Last edited by Bad_chopper on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

i am super stoked with this build, it has turned out pretty sweet. one thing i wish is i had the money to have done something to the front. if i hit a bump with the front it sucks. but i barely feel it when the rear hits. a little bit of me wants to get some fox 2.0 air shocks for the front, and thru rod it. even though its a ball joint and will have something like 7 inches of travel...

total weight with me in it

Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My daily driver baja bug build Reply with quote

first time out in the dunes after the rebuild, wish i would have gotten some outside video as well....next year most definitely will get some....till the next upgrades i can talk about....
Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: