Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: BugCity
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta leave some positive feedback here for Dave @ Bug City. I have been buying parts there going on 17 years now, before the internet scene I only found out about them from word of mouth of an old-time vee-dubber who was friends with my dad. Back then all I knew was Rocky Mountain Motorworks, JC Whitney and Bug City, and Bug City is the only one that continued to get my business. They almost always have the part, and for the East Coast you can't beat getting it the next day. I know others who have issues with Dave and won't use them, but he's always been easy to deal with for me. I research the part I need, go to their website, see what they have and give him a call. I've never ordered through the website. I have never been to his warehouse or met the guy. On the phone Dave will give you straight talk about the parts he has, what quality they are, what your options are, and he can make suggestions on what else you might need off the top of his head. I have bought some very hard to find stuff from him for "fair" prices (nothing really to compare them to most times).
My most recent order was for tie rods and some front end components for my bus. Dave told me they were busy and he might not be able to get the parts out until the next day. I explained to him that I had the bus scheduled to get an alignment on Monday and really needed the parts before the weekend. Next day they were on my doorstep.
Sorry for the long post but if I posted every time I had a good experience with Bug City this thread would be 3-4 pages longer than it is. DO NOT HESITATE to call them up!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought some NOS parts from Bugcity and had them shipped internationally. You expect to pay a 300% mark up on NOS parts but the 300% mark up on the shipping is a little harder to swallow. I contacted Dave to query why his shipping was triple what I pay with other US vendors and he basically said take it or leave it with no explanation and was pretty rude about it.

A number of other people in this thread have referred to Dave as a businessman who lacks people skills - if this means he is a price gouger and is rude to his customers I fully agree.
Unless you desperately need NOS parts that others don't have and are prepared to pay through the nose for them, give your business to someone who deserves it more.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Dave two days ago with a list of things I needed for a couple of off-season projects on my '69 Bug. He contacted me back promptly with news that all of those things were in stock (including some quality used OEM VW parts that are so much better than today's repro crap), and at a very reasonable price. I drove up to his shop the following day, and Dave had all the stuff together for me and ready to go, plus helped me out on one more part that I realized I needed at the last minute. I can't thank Dave enough for his help, supplying me with the right parts, the right quality, and at the right price. I have done business with Dave many times in the past and look forwarding to doing lots more business wth him in the future. Thanks again BugCity Dave!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnkt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Big City feedback Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share my two experiences with Bug City. I have found them very good with the two orders I've placed. The quality and description of their parts are spot on. I got a great set of Hell front turn signals for my 69 Vert, I also bought an NOS generator pulley and some tin parts and they arrived well packaged and in very good condition. I'll continue buying from them for sure. 9/23/15

ST
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent thousands of dollars with dave. is he a prick? yep...that's why we get along Laughing

it's business...if you call and he has it, get it...otherwise it may not be there in 3 days while you collect cans to get up the money...first come, first served.

he has been more than fair with me. I have no issues. glad to have him close and not for nothing, his prices are in line with everyone else..

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a conversation with Dave about some NOS fuel pump kits he was selling. He was dealing with a customer at the desk and me on the phone. I found him to be professional in handling my questions. I then hung up, ordered the parts online and they arrived 3 days later in PHX.

They were exactly as he described and I'm happy with his service. I've ordered other NOS items from Dave and have never had an issue.

Thanks Dave

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Les Garringer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Dave at Bug City Reply with quote

I have owned my 70 Beetle for 45 years and a 70 Ghia for 6 years. I am always looking for NOS or used German parts for both cars. I just don't think there is a better resource than David Valickis at Bug City. Over the past 7 or 8 years, I have spoken with him numerous times on the phone and have sent countless emails and queries to his place of business. He delivers exactly as advertised. Although it is rare that there is a problem with an order, if there is one, he fixes it immediately. I have found him to be one of the most honest and reputable businessmen in the parts industry. Without question Dave is always my first choice in looking for parts for my prized vehicles.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

Dave at Bug City always supplies me with the part I need.

This week it was a steering box pitman arm for my own '64 vert that had an earlier steering box in it. I needed a used '62-'65 pitman arm to make it all work and Bug City had it. More importantly Dave solved the problem for me with his knowledge of VW bugs. He's a great resource and solid parts supplier.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagespeedwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

BEWARE!

Sold some NOS stuff to him. FULL PICS of every angle. Complained about scratches, even though i never said it was mint.

Now i get an item back that is BROKEN!

i told him it must be shipping damage yet ebay sides with him!!

BEWARE, he expects something for nothing and if not to his liking despite looking at pics and description will screw you over.
donzi33z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

Been trying to get ahold of Dave for 2 says Neither phone works
Sent an email no response yet
Anybody know whats up?
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

worked for me yesterday. are you calling the # on the website? Try the local one not the 800 #. He picked up first try.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
donzi33z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

His phones have been down Talked to him today
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bug city is a great place to get parts NOS German or used.

Shipping has been a problem in the past but they are on the east coast I'm on the west coast.

So one has to understand the distance in shipping.

I was told today I have a history of negativity in the past 10 years with David and I can no longer purchase from them.

He canceled my monthly Order of $1000 of NOS wiper parts.

So keep that in mind before posting anything negative.

I cannot do what I do without quality parts from people like David.

His prices are fair and his packaging is the best I have never had a item arrive damaged.

I Want to apologize to David for my negativity in the past.

Even though he will not sell to me I will send people to him for the parts they need and recommend Bug City for parts and service. DL West-Wiperguy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

Was in a bind and couldn’t find the part I needed anywhere, I put the part number into a search engine and it comes up as in stock at Bug-City. A few days later it arrived, just in time for me to get back on track with my build.

Thank you for having those little hard to find parts!
205T (Bill)
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had ordered speedometer colored gels and was asked to pay 12.00 shipping something lighter than a postcard... when asked the just canceled my order... I called and he abruptly said "we canceled you order because you didnt want to pay 12.00."

On Jul 29, 2019, at 11:45 PM, Bugcity wrote:

> Name: mark dambrosio
> Phone: 7147240486
> Email: [email protected]
>
> Message: hi i ordered the speedometer gels if youd like you can partially refund some shipping as this is an envelope? 12.00 seems steep for this

BUGCITY <[email protected]>
9:38 AM (6 minutes ago)
to me

Your order has been voided & cancelled.
Bugcity
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

The shipping cost along with packaging and handling $14 fair price. He has to pay someone to pull the parts package and print label run it to the post office. It would have been well packaged and arrived safe with no damage. Dave is courteous and helpful but if you show attitude he simply chooses to not do business with you. I know this as he chooses to not do business with me. It was my fault for not understanding shipping packaging handling costs and the distance in-between us.
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

Fair enough I won’t entirely write him off I still think $12 to mail three little pieces of film is a bit steep when it can be mailed in a Standard envelope I found them locally at Wolfsburg West
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

markdam wrote:
Fair enough I won’t entirely write him off I still think $12 to mail three little pieces of film is a bit steep when it can be mailed in a Standard envelope I found them locally at Wolfsburg West

I ordered a single replacement distributor spring for a Porsche and also the vendor had a minimum shipping charge for $15... for a $8 part.

Large vendors don't stock every possible size boxes. When I sell parts I use USPS Priority flat rate, large, medium and small boxes. I also purchased some small padded bags for the small parts. But i'm a one man shop and the post office is next to my bank and supermarket and only 1/4 mile away. Larger vendors have employees, insurance, and operating expenses.

The bottom line is, lets be happy we can get parts for our 40-70 year old cars.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

All of above plus MANY stores do not use the US Postal service at all so that immediately leaves out all the super cheap options.

markdam wrote:

To be fair, I checked the WW site and it's ~$11 to ship these FedEx
WW is nice because they do use the post office too but it's still ~$6 shipping USPS
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugcity In Connecticut - [email protected] Reply with quote

got them today in one day no shipping charge cost of a stamp

and i was charged 12.00 not 11.00 re reread original post with email copy

just ftr
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: