Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I went with a friend to look at the '72 Ghia he had imported from California. The seller had assured him that the body was in good condition, the car was running, and that there were no serious rust issues.

This is what lurked underneath:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A used front clip had been clipped onto the car. The outer skin had been welded up and painted with primer to mask the weld. Inside the front luggage compartment the gap between the two sections (about and inch or so) had been concealed under masking tape and the area painted with primer.

The other side looks no better.

There are crooks everywhere, it seems.

Anyway: Rant over. How does my friend recover from this? New front clip? Remove existing and reweld? Any other ieads?

If it came from a Samba ad a swift bit of revenge posting in the Feedback Forum would be the order of the day. Even if it was bought outside of The Samba it's acceptable to post a warning about this ****. Twisted Evil
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Thats terrible.
I think the only acceptable repair is to take it apart and start from scratch. Anyone who would do that...could be responsible for anything Mad
If I recall, you have high repair standards in order to register and drive on your roads. How could this pass?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Thats terrible. I think the only acceptable repair is to take it apart and start from scratch...If I recall, you have high repair standards in order to register and drive on your roads. How could this pass?

That's what I think. Unstitch, repair and re-weld. One of the reasons I went 90km from home to do my car's metalwork was that the workshop had 3 or 4 registered and certified welders (who allowed me to do the donkey work in order to save costs).

Phillip now has experience in putting together a Ghia with severe front end damage - especially the right front A pillar assembly repairs, for which I created a separate thread. That's where we're headed, I think. Small town New Zealand - incidentally, very far from the earthquake zone. (You had your own earthquake on Tuesday, I think, albeit of a different kind. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.)

A certifier would have to check the repair-work as it progresses. My friend has about USD10 000 in the car, so it's one of those cases where there may be more to be lost going forwards rather than backwards.

I appreciate your advice, as usual.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Quote:
(You had your own earthquake on Tuesday, I think, albeit of a different kind. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.)

Very Happy Yes, it has been a wild ride thus far. I am open and optimistic. Things are still shaking. Will take the wait and see approach as this was pretty unexpected, as all "earthquakes" are. Cool
Good luck to your friend. Crying or Very sad
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Wow. That is criminal. Was it a seller on here? If so he should be banned. At the very least he should be named and shamed. No excuse for that. As to what to do? I agree, take it all apart and start over, given this who knows what the rest looks like. If it's a good clip (other than being slightly too short) it could be straightforward to fix. Best of luck to him.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I bought the engine and gearbox of the California Ghia my friend is going to rebuild with a Subaru motor and gearbox.

I spent the whole day yesterday under the car, struggling to get the engine out. So much gunk. Some bolts between the engine and gearbox missing. (I spent an hour looking for them!) It will be an interesting project, I think.

It looks like a 1600 twin port motor, but I'm not sure. No engine number, but the case doesn't look like it's been split.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Interesting mix of original bits and modification to twin carbs.
I wonder what your plans for it are Question
Hopefully a good score. Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I'm loving the coil mounting!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
I'm loving the coil mounting!

Lots of strange things on this car, apart from that coil mounting. Small woodrim steering wheel. Gene Berg? gearstick. Holes though the floorpans for Recaro seats. Aftermarket mirrors. Thick plastic-like substance sprayed on the underside of the gearbox. Electronic 009 dizzy. And two small 34 Pict Webers with linkage, which my mate Dean says will be suitable for my 1641 motor.

How come I'm envious of the guy who's just starting on this project?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Quote:

Because you love the activity, the search, the chase, the learning, the problem solving, hitting up against block wall and busting through to success. Very Happy
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Because you love the activity, the search, the chase, the learning, the problem solving, hitting up against block wall and busting through to success. :D

Of course. When an interest becomes an inquiry, which leads to an acquisition, which, in the process of restoration, like alternating current, switches from desperation to passion.

Will those Webers work on my 1641 Ghia, do you think, Darrel?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Quote:
Will those Webers work on my 1641 Ghia, do you think, Darrel?

Will they work? of course. Better than a single, center mount carb? Yes again. Are there better options? IMO, yes. I am a believer in dual throat carbs for VW's. A set of 36 Dellortos would be much better.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I hope these Webers and linkage are going to work on my car. I also have the electronic 009 distributor to go with them. I don't really need more power - but I would like the engine to run a bit smoother.

The carbs say "Made in Spain." Small nation, big impact.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

These visor clips are useless and I'm going to have to make my own. Or find metal originals.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Well, I've been unusually quiet, but I had a novel (80 000 words) to write. But I've had a little time for my Ghia the last week or so.

First, the Weber carbs have been installed - and the car has about 20% more power, runs and accelerates more sweetly, and is just so much more responsive on the throttle. (Three Beetles and a Beach Buggy in my past, but never a twin carb set-up.)

Secondly I spent two days doing additional sound-deadening under the back seat area and on the heater tubes under the back seat. And the car is so much quieter: I might even install the original radio. Maybe some other time.

We went for a drive to enjoy the extra power and the less noisy ride and stopped at Mellons Bay. A woman in a Holden (Chevrolet) stopped next to us and lamented the fact that her Dutch grandfather who had a '61 Ghia wouldn't sell it to any member of the family - so they watched it go and have been sorry ever since. (She now owns a Rat Rod VW - an abomination, if you ask me, but I suppose there's no accounting for tastes.)

Summer's here, and here's the proof.

The trees in the background are Pohukatawa and they bloom at Christmas. I wish all Sambanista a peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Good to see, the car's looking great!
Sounds like the twin carbs were a very worthwhile upgrade, nice to hear that you're enjoying the change! Very Happy
Summer's for enjoying the Ghia. Winter here is for small jobs and planning ahead...
I'm making decisions on my slow accumulation of parts, mostly NOS, so that when the time comes to rebuild the engine (hopefully not for a long time!) then I can do it the way I want. Today's decision is whether to go ahead with Porsche 911 elephant foot valve adjusters (and a set of rocker arms properly machined to allow them to fit). The adjusters are $24 US each though, which is a great big, bitter horse pill to swallow. We'll see!
Have a great Christmas!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

I hope you know the fan shroud has been modified for the addition of air conditioning. The "coil mounting" area was moved to accommodate the compressor.

You might stash that shroud away in case you ever decide to add A/C.

....and a Merry Christmas to you too!!
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Interesting that you swapped your Solex for twin 34ICT's
I was thinking of doing just the opposite! purely for originality, but now not so sure.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
Interesting that you swapped your Solex for twin 34ICT's
I was thinking of doing just the opposite! purely for originality, but now not so sure.

Hi Paul, I'm keeping all the orginal pieces and parts for the day I (or any subsequent owner - perish the day!) decide to revert to originality.

In the meantime, the car drives just so much better with the twin Webers. Others have said twin Dellortos (spelling?) are even better.

I have original parts - mirrors, aerial, radio, reverse lights, steering wheel, red taillights, front seats, and now all the carburetor parts and manifolds - all saved to go back on or in.

Have a good Christmas.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

WooleyNelson wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

I hope you know the fan shroud has been modified for the addition of air conditioning. The "coil mounting" area was moved to accommodate the compressor.

You might stash that shroud away in case you ever decide to add A/C.

....and a Merry Christmas to you too!!

That shroud went with the motor to my mate Dean. I might make aircon my 2017 project, but at the moment it's just a Santa wish. (I get terrible hayfever in summer here - and aircon should keep the pollens out.) But the supplier won't sell outside of the US.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 76 of 90

Jump to: