Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint and prep for colored fender bead?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Paint and prep for colored fender bead? Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what products are required to properly color fender bead? I'm working on a type 3 and want to change the color of the fender bead that is readily available. The color available is black and I want to match the car color which is Sea Sand. I suppose I'll need a flex agent to add to the paint. What have you used that works and what type of paint does the flex agent work with?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Paint and prep for colored fender bead? Reply with quote

Fender beads are generally vinyl. Thats actually their greatest flaw. Vinyl begins out-gassing and shrinking and hardening up in the process...they day it is born.

You can use any made for vinyl paint. The duplicolor and plastikote products work well with these. Duplicolor makes a clear primer and at one time had an adhesion promoter.

You need to read the instructions and follow them religiously. For best results make sure the environment you are painting in is not too hot or cold and not too humid.

You need to clean the vinyl EXTREMELY WELL. Typically you want to degrease it....use a solvent and not soap and water or simple green. Handle with gloves. Skin oils will screw this up.

Spray with the primer...follow instructions. The last primer I used for vinyl was not really an actual primer coat so much as it was a very thin hot solvent that softens the plastic surface and yes...leaves a very fine matt finish to give it tooth. You need to let it dry and paint within the required amount of time.

Buy one of those rustoleum (many brands out there) $8 spray can handles with aim-able fan spray nozzle for excellent results.

You do not need a flex agent. Flex agents for vinyls decrease durability of the paint, lengthen drying time and weaken adhesion.

Understand that vinyl paint IS flexible paint. But...it only flexes so far...unless its very thin.

The best way to insure that the paint does not crack...is to pre-shape your fender beading to a reasonable extent. It works best to do this with the fender off the car.
Make a cardboard or foam core board (better) pattern of the fender profile. Mark the screw holes and punch them out... first...not later. Don't get sloppy with this either and just cut rough holes with a box knife.

You can buy nice punch sets for leather that work perfect for gaskets as well....at Jo-anne fabrics, Hobby Lobby and Tandy leather. They make several different sized sets and also sell singular punches that are larger. I have two of these sets and the larger set goes up to about 7/16".

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1277680082...aQodrZEPkw

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Leather-Crafting/Tools-Finishes/c/9-177-1365

Test fit the fender bead to the fender and body using tape and clamps and then mark your bolt holes.

Then clean it well and put it onto one side of the cardboard pattern...held in shape through the screw holes.

Once the holes are done....clip the beading to the pattern...or even the body or fender for this step....and heat it moderately with a heat gun. Be careful not to melt it. You might experiment with distance and settings with a scrap piece.

When it cool it will hold a rough shape. Now...clean it religiously.....attache it to the pattern so its in shape,,,, prime it....and paint it. Install it ASAP.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: