Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat catch
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Rear seat catch Reply with quote

My 58 owners manuel show two different set ups for the rear reat holder.

One shows the pin that Lisa is reproducing, on the seat it's self the other shows a hook.

What's correct? Was one for a coupe the other for a convertible?

Does anyone have pictures of all three pieces needed for the rear seat?

1) The strap on the tray (by the way what's the correct color?)
2) The holder on the seat
3) A hook near the tunnel??? What's this used for if the strap is attached to the shelf?

Thanks

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the hooks attatch to the rear parcel shelf and to the sheet metal above the transmission tunnel below the the rear seat.
The strap attatches to the seat back and can be rotated to secure the seat in the up or down position.
Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Rockstocks "awesome" site:
http://www.kgoc-gb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59

Down about 4/5 of site:

Seat - Rear Strap
The Cab had 2 white straps holding the seat either up or down
A long strap was attached to the rear parcel shelf
A short strap was attached to the rear seat cross member panel, just above the tunnel
The strap(s) hooked over a shaped screw located on the top centre of the backrest
For the Coupe, this situation was reversed
The coupe had one white strap, fixed to the top centre of the backrest
This strap swivelled and latched over one of two hooks
This variance was required due to the lower position of the Rear Parcel Shelf on the Cab tbc
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: retaining strap Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the original retaining strap and cap on my 1959 convertible and as you can see it is mounted just above the tunnel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the original retaining strap post for the seatback from the same car.

I need to take a picture of the strap that is on the shelf area behind the backseat. This is also a white strap that is similar to the one above, but it is longer because it has to stretch from the shelf area to the post. I know that there is a long strap available, but I think it is black Sad .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lisa,

Just what I needed. I knew the strap from KGP&R (black) was incorrect......what else in new Rolling Eyes

The clip for the rear shelf is the same as the one located above the tunnel correct? Just the lenght of the strap is different?

Douglas

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rubber strap looks just like what VW used on my '74 Thing, only those are black.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: backseat strap Reply with quote

23 window collection wrote:
Thanks Lisa,

Just what I needed. I knew the strap from KGP&R (black) was incorrect......what else in new Rolling Eyes

The clip for the rear shelf is the same as the one located above the tunnel correct? Just the lenght of the strap is different?

Douglas

I was told that these rear seatback straps were available in white at one time...but for some reason the white rubber didn't hold up to the elements. Then why do they still have the short white straps available Question Maybe because the longer strap is exposed to more direct sunlight than the shorter one and tends to break more easily when it is stretched?

The clip for the rear shelf is the same as the clip used on the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this long white strap something that Gary at Brezelwerks could reproduce?

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping up a very old post for some clarification on the clamps holding the seat restraining strap for coupe and convertible.

Image below shows a collection of various hardware used for the rear seat restraining strap.

The coupe uses a chrome cap (with a rivet and wood screw) to be tightened and to allow the restraining strap to swivel to (2) hooks when the seat is up or down. The cabriolet uses two restraining straps (each different size) and are tightened in position using the anodized cap (see image below) with the machine screw (and, I think without the rivet) so the strap is not to swivel or move. Is this correct? Or, does the strap swivel for the convertible also? Looks to me the machine screw being screwed through metal would eventually loosen if it was made to swivel. I believe that's why Lisa's image (above) showing the decrepit restraining strap held in that position after all those years is still in the fixed position. Lowlightheads, please advise.

cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat catch Reply with quote

Re-activating a super old post on rear seat straps. I'm just thinking convertible as per my questions...

So, we can see Lisa's original strap mounted just above the tunnel but does anyone have a picture or two of the convertible-only rubber strap that mounts to the "parcel shelf" behind the rear seat back rest? How about a picture showing the entire back seat where both straps are able to be seen?

The white strap is reproduced but does someone/some company make a second length white strap?

For a 50's era cabriolet (Lowlight), is the short white strap the one mounted above the tunnel whereas the longer version attached to the parcel shelf?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: