Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stolen '71 has anyone seen it?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

This '71 convertible was owned by some friends of mine. They sold the house it was sitting at and moved a few hours away. I was supposed to pick the car up and bring to my house to sell it for them but today the car was gone. She called the person who bought the housr and they said they sold the car to someone in Washington. My friend still has the title and i have the drivers door handle as i got a key made for it. It left mankato minnesota yesterday sometime so who knows where it is now. Any information would be great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

That is a strange story. Nice people your friend sold the house to. I am guessing there was some form of verbal or written agreement as to the disposition of the vehicle at the time of closing.

I purchased a house once where there was a similar situation. The person that I purchased the house from had an antique model T automobile in the garage. He asked if he could leave the car and come get it after closing. I said Yes. He did. It never crossed my mind to sell that car.

In any event I would think your friend has the basis here for some form of legal action. I don't think you can sell something that you do not own.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

Who sells a house without removing all of their property from it?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Who sells a house without removing all of their property from it?

That is why I asked if there was some type of written or verbal agreement on the car. As I said I have experience with this. I personally would not leave a car behind. With the experience I had the seller could not get the car out by closing as it needed to be transported. He was moving quite a distance and it was not feasible to drive a Model T that distance.

In general whatever is left on the premises at closing is the property of the new owner. However I am not sure about automobiles since it has a title distinct from the property. To a certain extent ownership varies by state under these circumstances - i.e., who has the property versus who has the title.

Not sure how the new acquirer would register the vehicle.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

technically it's not stolen, but what type of lowlife does that?? did the new homeowner ever attempt to contact seller?? how long was the car sitting there after closing??

to me it sounds like the car was there for months, the guy sells the car to someone out of state, they have to arrange shipping etc, this all takes a long time to coriidinate.

there has to be more to the story...
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
technically it's not stolen, but what type of lowlife does that?? did the new homeowner ever attempt to contact seller?? how long was the car sitting there after closing??

to me it sounds like the car was there for months, the guy sells the car to someone out of state, they have to arrange shipping etc, this all takes a long time to coriidinate.

there has to be more to the story...

I don't think they were being a lowlife. Although we see a Karmann Ghia in decent condition, the new homeowner probably just sees an abandoned old car that has been left behind and gets rid of it.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

I am not sure when the house was officially sold but the new owners knew the car was not included with the house. My friend told them i was going to pick the car up and they told them it would be blocked in by a dumpster until Thursday. Yet all week there was no dumpster and then the car is gone a day before they said it would be unblocked. These people planned this and they had no right to do this. My friend contacted her realtor and they said what the people did was illegal
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

Technically the car IS stolen Get the police involved. There's nothing a private person can do legally to get the car back.

brad
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Technically the car IS stolen Get the police involved. There's nothing a private person can do legally to get the car back.

brad

Pretty unbelievable...it appears the new home owners have just crapped on their own doorstep. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

The Ghia lover in me says, "What dirty rotten scoundrels!"

The lawyer in me says, "Wait a minute."

Most agreements for the sale of a house have a clause dealing with "chattels", meaning movables like stoves, fridges, curtains and so on. Some agreements stipulate that chattels on the property (land) at the time of closing or the date of possession will be included in the sale. So what you leave behind becomes the property of the buyer.

That agreement would be the starting point in the inquiry and I suspect the police will ask for the agreement before they open a theft investigation.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I am not sure when the house was officially sold but the new owners knew the car was not included with the house. My friend told them i was going to pick the car up and they told them it would be blocked in by a dumpster until Thursday. Yet all week there was no dumpster and then the car is gone a day before they said it would be unblocked. These people planned this and they had no right to do this. My friend contacted her realtor and they said what the people did was illegal

Why does the new home owner need a dumpster as they move in?
How much crap did your buddy leave behind?
Maybe the Ghia went in it.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

Just report it stolen to DMV and the new "owner" won't be able to register it. To sell an "abandon car" you have to go through DMV and get a title, so hope they didn't pull the body off and put it on a new pan. You could contact Washington state patrol and tell them to be on the lookout for it as it must be shipped and there are only so many roads into WA.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen '71 has anyone seen it? Reply with quote

So it got reported to police here and they are charging guy with fruad. But not sure how it if she will get car back. Did find out it is in the Seattle area. Someone on here must know who has it right now.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: