Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI Seat pads fit 61-67
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

I ordered some seat covers from TMI via VWHeritage, and after much research by myself and VWHeritage, the seat covers seem to fit my 61-67 seats. However the seat pads (TMI P/N 43-1515) dont really seem to fit well at all.

They exhibit the same problems as shown in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6700234

The seat base pad just about fits, although looks like it is made for a later style seat. The backrest is more difficult as the corners are cut. at the bottom.

The thread mentions that part no 1514 is actually the correct part, can anyone confirm if this is correct?

I appreciate that TMI is not that expensive, but that post identified the same problem i have, over 2 years ago.

VWHeritage lists the 43-1515 as 61-67, as does Jbugs (according to the thread). So is this a problem with TMI or VWHeritage?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

I used a TMI seat padding kit when I re-did the seats in my '67 Ghia, and both the seat bottom and backrest fit pretty well as I remember. The TMI P/N I ordered was 43-1515, but I don't remember the edge bolsters on the seat bottom being as pronounced as the ones shown in Bluedot's old post.

This is how my seats turned out. Covers are from Sewfine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

According to the TMi website 58-60 pads are 1514 and 61-67 pads are 1515. So either you have early seats, VW Heritage have delivered the wrong ones or TMI have package the wrong ones
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

You know, I talked to them a bunch of times, and that was all TMI had to offer.

After installation and 12k miles of use, they're holding up well, look flat and old school like they should be and are pretty comfortable.

I think TMI, while not the most awesome in fit and quality, is a really reasonably priced interior, and that allows me to use my car without too much fear. I even leave the top down at the beach, knowing it will be easier to clean up after the seagulls on vinyl than stayfast canvas!
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. first to rule out one thing, i am sure i dont have the 58-59 seat frames. The difference are suttle but they can be seen in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=120

My seat frames are identical to the ones in these threads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417598&view=next
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7915162

In both cases the seat back, goes straight across at the bottom (image from second thread):

I have been trying to find a picture of a post-68 seat frame+back and i just cant seem to find one. I'm sure i found one a few weeks ago, but i seem to have misplaced the thread.

The closest thing i have found is of this 68 seat back:

from this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7276535
Note the cut corners at the bottom.

It looks like what i have received is late-60-to-70s seat pads, but with the 1515 part no molded in.

bluedot wrote:

After installation and 12k miles of use, they're holding up well, look flat and old school like they should be and are pretty comfortable.

I can see how to force the base pad to fit, but how did you address the backrest with those cut-off corners? The back pad i have is clearly designed to fit a later seat-back frame, with a profile simmilar to the 68 backrest pictured above.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

I am restoring the seats for my 62 Ghia and have just discovered the same problem with the seat back pad at the bottom. The part number is 43-1515-B which according to the TMI web site is for the 61-67. I am sure I have the correct seats for my 62, so my conclusion is that TMI have got this wrong which is massively annoying.
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74:

Sorry this is probably a bit late, but for future reference.

For the 61-65 seats the correct part no. is 1514 not 1515. I spoke at length with TMI. Previously they had stated it should be 1515. They then checked their seat frames and suggested that the 1514 would be a better fit. They are. They told me that they were going to update their website, however these changes will take a while to filter down to the resellers.

So if a website states that you need 1515, it is wrong. It should be 1514.

Hope this helps.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat pads fit 61-67 Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew, I worked out that the 1514 seat back pads should fit so ordered these a while ago. It is still wrong on the TMI website and all of the vendor websites I looked at. I ordered from VW Heritage which does not give any description, just the part number
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: