Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 aftermarket ragtop deletion?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

I have a 64 that I purchased with the aftermarket ragtop that I would like to remove and weld back in the missing roof metal. Is there a specific year range I need to stick to for a donor roof? All I want from the donor roof is the metal piece to fit directly into the missing ragtop piece, not the whole roof clip. So I just need to know if the curvature changes on different years. Thanks in advance
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Make shure you measure the donor roof numbers against what you have ..I got in a jam replacing a roof on one project . There are different roofs for large rear window cars .
Isuggest you put your new piece from gutter to gutter and separate the roof along the front under the rubber
Look here on how to use a spot weld cutter for the front edge ;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...ile+rolled

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Punchbuggy buddy wrote:
I have a 64 that I purchased with the aftermarket ragtop that I would like to remove and weld back in the missing roof metal. Is there a specific year range I need to stick to for a donor roof? All I want from the donor roof is the metal piece to fit directly into the missing ragtop piece, not the whole roof clip. So I just need to know if the curvature changes on different years. Thanks in advance

Sounds like you want to graft in the new sheet metal in the opening of your present roof? In that case, any roof from 1938 to 2003 should suffice. The roof shape hardly changed at all.

But for a much better and probably easier way, Grandpa's solution would be the best. In that case, look for a aug. 57 to aug 64 roof clip.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the help. I guess by doing the whole clip would be less welding and a smoother job. So just the outer skin then by drilling out the spotwelds then right? Not just chopping it off at all the door posts and reattaching it. Can you buy such a part?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Replacing the clip into the window openings, and peeling back the gutter crimp may end up with a cleaner repair with less welding, but to me, it is a much more involved repair. Simply repairing the opening is as simple as placing a slightly larger cut of a roof section over the hole, tracing the overlap, and either butt/flange weld the new section in. Yes, you will have more "filler" finish work, but none of the gutter/window openings need to be touched.

You're not going to find a roof panel new anywhere, and will need it cut from another car. And unless you want to pay an outrageous amount for shipping, preferably find a section you can physically get/pick up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Great thanks. I tend to agree. Much less involved.
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

So I think I may be able to get a '60 roof. I like the idea of replacing the whole clip as I've done a ton of welding already on this car including cutting out lots of spot welds. I've basically replaced the bottom six inches of the entire car plus both front and rear clips. Now my question is how the heck do you uncrimp the gutter lip to get the top layer off?! That looks impossible without destroying it. Grandpa Pete, maybe you can weigh in here as you've done this before. This looks like the hard part to me. I've not tackled this problem yet.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

The big Blue 61-65 Bentley manual has some nice detailed sections on body repair. I would get one of those if you decide to open up the gutters.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Punchbuggy buddy wrote:
how the heck do you uncrimp the gutter lip to get the top layer off?! .

You DON'T ....You cut the old roof off leaving one inch attached to the gutter .
the replacement roof is cut to fit in between gutter to gutter on the sides.
this gives you metal to plug weld to ;all along BOTH gutters . That's what keeps all the body work along the edges .

in the photo you can see the blue gutter was left and the brown roof welded along the inside .
This photo shows you how the front lip spot welds to the inside windshield lip that was left on the car .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

I can see the pros, and cons of doing it that way, but it may be the way to go if you can get an alike roof section from a 60.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Why don't you graft in a factory ragtop?

Geoff
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

That's a great idea except I don't know where I would find a donor roof. Im having enough trouble trying to find just a full roof. The `60 I had in mind I found once I went and looked at it had a hole in it for a sun roof. Crying or Very sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Try placing a wanted ad for the roof section. I found VW enthusiasts less than an hour away I never knew existed when I've place ads for certain things.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Wrecked later beetles with steel sunroofs sell around here as shells for $100- vs. $1000 for a ragtop car. If I had a '64- that's the way I'd go.

I've "needed" a '64 for a decade to complete my model collection- already have the rag; vert and hardtop. Now I need a steel sunroof '64 for my life to be complete.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Wrecked later beetles with steel sunroofs sell around here as shells for $100- vs. $1000 for a ragtop car. If I had a '64- that's the way I'd go.

Hey, I'll give you $250 for one of those $100 complete steel sunroof clips to put in my 64 sunroof car that I got with just a sunroof hole in the roof.

In all seriousness, if the OP wants the car back to an original hard top, have at it. Not everyone is interested in recreating something that may be cooler to them/others if it wasn't original to the car. Being able to work in the world of concours "chalk marking" restorations, non original cars can have quite a bit of their value destroyed by non original items.
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

So I have come across a complete 57 oval roof clip. I know everyone cringe... None the less has anyone removed the entire roof cutting halfway down the windshield pillar and removing everything right back to the engine bay. By this I mean separating the c pillar, top of rear side window completely from the roof structure including the inner rounded structure and removing the rain gutter complete with the roof.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

That's a different size windshield, it won't work.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

I think it can work if you're willing to rework the windshield opening to accept an earlier windshield. Seems like somebody was doing something similar to the windshield opening on a recent thread. It's definitely not just a cut & past sorta' deal.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
1964bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 aftermarket ragtop deletion? Reply with quote

Is the windshield just lower at the top, which was my understanding or is it narrower too? Thicker pillars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: