Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
I added the euro siren sound effect as a gag, all those guys were waiting in line because there was a full course yellow, but they dropped the yellow right when I pulled up, so I decided to take a few spots.

Makes me wonder if the corner flagman/woman would black flag you for using a siren on a hot track. Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Tristar Eric wrote:
Made a little video from our Thunderhill race called " You got passed by a Van"

This was footage taken from one of my hour and a half sessions.

Enjoy!

Awesome! Very Happy

Some of those other drivers, though, need more "situational awareness"... a few close calls going into turns! Shocked

Ya think? Either that or self driving cars. There's a concept: self driving race cars.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a concept: self driving race cars.

Google that, it exists...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Well in case you missed it, this weekend was the seasons final race for us at Sonoma raceway. We started in a field of 180+ cars against our rivals GoWesty.
We had Christopher from T3techniques send us our secret weapon for the weekend which helped us get over 1.2 G's in the van. Our van ran solid Saturday but we were behind 3 laps to Gowesty due to them only stopping once to our 4 driver changes.
At the end of Saturday they had an issue with their transaxle and were forced to swap it out for a non locking version. This meant they would have slightly slower lap times Sunday. I started Sunday morning with a mission to take back those 3 laps and hopefully add a few. I turned our fastest lap of the weekend in my first session, a 2:12.2 and soon after a couple more 2:12 laps. For comparison, GW was turning 2:30's. We had practiced our pit stops and could easily fuel and driver change in about 3-4 minutes. I have to really say that all of our drivers are top notch and consistent. We only had a couple of incidents. 2 spins, a couple of scrapes, and lost the front bumper.
So, when it finished Sunday at 4:45pm, we were 10th in our class (B), 34th overall out of 180. GoWesty came out winners also, they managed to win their class (C), 36 laps ahead of their next competitor. All in all, I would have to say that we as a group ( both vans ) did very very well. We received many compliments from other racers who all say that they're amazed at how fast we are in Vanagon's.
My thanks to my team, Gowesty, all our sponsors, T3techniques, Burley Motorsports, Tom's Syncro Transaxles, Motorsports Portland ( tires ), Terrawagen! and all those who supported us this year. Thank-you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Congrats! Way to represent!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

So cool to see both teams do well. Also how sponsors have come together to help out the cause.
Secret weapon = cheating. Don't get caught it's not cheating! Rolling Eyes Laughing Very Happy
If you guys can please support these sponsors.

So lets hear the story of losing the front bumper! Who was in the van?

On the team I'm on we all tease the driver that was in the car when something happens till the next race. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Nice work, Eric! Its good to see you guys doing well and representing the Vanagon that we all respect so much for its abilities. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Front bumper loss...

Andrew was driving the last session on Saturday afternoon. He was passing a black 914 on the inside turn 1 after start finish, the 914 driver turned in as andrew attempted the pass. Andrew hit the brakes really hard to avoid, but I imagine at the apex of 1 the back end of the van was a little light and he spun towards the wall. I think the bumper was ripped off by the 914 before he made perpendicular contact of the wall with the front of the van. The end of the spin left the van facing traffic. The whole incident only added 1 minute to his lap time. I was watching the the clock and noticed he was overdue. When he finally passed us in the pits I noticed he was missing the bumper. We actually never found the bumper, this is the second time it's been ripped off during a race.

Seth's spin on Sunday...

Seth was turning some pretty quick laps, he had knocked off 9 seconds from his Saturday lap times. This meant he was carrying way more speed into the chicane ( bus stop ). He came in too hot on one lap, the rear end got light as he turned in, and he spun.

Eric's bus stop side swipe...

Early Sunday in my first session I had a bunch of traffic to try and navigate around. Coming into the bus stop we were 3 wide with me being in the middle.
The Toy story Pizza Planet pickup was on the inside, and I guess he couldn't quite make the turn, so he did a full on side swipe, removing our front turn signal, and adding some scrapes and color to the passenger side of the van.
Lucky for both of us that the turn worker didn't see the contact, so we both stayed out and didn't have to report in for a black flag for contact.

We're now going to try and win our class ( B ). Our engine choice won't get us there. We are on the hunt for a reliable engine that puts down close to 300hp.
We welcome any suggestions. Our other problem is the transaxle, the poor thing can't handle much more power, so we're going to use a Porsche G50 I have laying around.
I'm really happy with the chassis set up. The van really has come a long way in the handling dept. Next step will be to remove some weight up front, and add a little more tire up front in preparation for the added HP.

Stay tuned!

On a side note, the flares have really held up very well !

Eric
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:

On a side note, the flares have really held up very well !

Eric

Race on Sunday.... sell on Monday! I love following your exploits. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

" The G-50 I have laying around" I was wondering if that made it with the Doka sale Cool

What about a mid mounted LS motor, 4l80E coupled to a 9"?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

What about a mid mounted LS motor, 4l80E coupled to a 9"?

Shocked Nice. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

A few pics, because pics always make threads better!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Nice job guys!!
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

The race was a really fun time had by all. I especially enjoyed starting the line up. But it was a bit tough out there with 184 cars and 2 vanagons (!), all fighting for position.

It is a big track, but it was crowded... so it was all about not being hit and taken out of the race. A majority of the first few hours was spent on a yellow caution flag for one thing or another!

It was amazing how well the van handled. Even on the tight turns, even in the "corkscrew", we kept the pedal to the metal and the van just kept on pushing past!

Downhill was fun. The van never did feel top heavy. It really did amaze everyone how the two Vanagons out there, vying for the lead role between one another, just kept gaining speed, as cars were dropping out of the race, hour after hour.

This is a picture, taken by a phone, of our fun rivalry with GoWesty's Westafari van! Here I am on Sunday morning catching up to the back of them on a straightaway, all of us trying to make up for Lucas's big showing the day before.

This is just before passing Westafari for the third time that day!

The stakes were bragging rights, and, boy, we know that is important! But really it is simply good, clean fun. And at the end of the day, it was wonderful just to be together.

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

^^^^^^^👍👍👍👍👍👍👍😍

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

So fun! But one favor...ID these capable Vanagonauts, please?

burleymotorsports wrote:

I know I'm stuck way up here between the coasts, but I do love a nice bit of racing coverage... Cool Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

The young man is Lucas Jr from Go Westy with Burley from Burley Motorsports

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

The wheels,(spacers?), tires and brakes look like a great setup for a Vanagon. What are the specs?

Thanks
M
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

Page 2 of this thread shows the brakes items used. It's basically a bunch of Porsche bits from a 993 twin turbo. Wheels are Porsche 964 Cup II's 17" x7 front and 9" rears.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Vanagon LeMons Race Van Reply with quote

check it out we made it on the 2016 list of the greatest lemons cars!

http://www.roadkill.com/greatest-new-lemons-cars-2016-season/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: