Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's wrong with you people?!?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
dobryan wrote:
I have to admit that I do not understand why some folks have had dozens of posts removed and are still allowed to post. I do not get it. 🙁

Because they are knowledgeable and often helpful. Like CV grease, it does the job, but is messy to work with.

Aloha
tp

True. However, at some point, one walks away from the campfire when the occasionally helpful blowhard talks so much that he keeps a half dozen other equally or more helpful people from getting a word in. The half dozen other folks also leave to find a civilized conversation at a different campfire while the occasionally helpful blowhard goes off endlessly to whomever is left listening/suffering.

This...
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Wow. I just got on and read the whole thread from my comment forward. BlueBus, I just have to lay something on you here. I think you should be banned for a time. It's that simple and let me explain why.

You are part of an organization that is based upon conversation. We don't knit afghans. We don't cook vegan food. We don't play chess. We converse. But you deliberately converse in a way that irritates others and this thread makes it clear that you enjoy that role.

Now a reasonable person here to participate in the conversation would respond to consistent messaging over time that they are creating friction by accepting that is true and choosing to change if they valued continuing to be a member of the group. You don't want to change and show respect for others in so doing that. So it's fairly clear to me that you do not value being a member of the group enough to alter your behavior. It's also fairly clear to me that you have absolutely no intention of changing in the future. By hacking on the mods in front of us all, you appear to be calling their bluff and I don't like that. It makes it seem like they are letting an asshat push them around, and that makes me uneasy that nobody's in the wheelhouse. I'd rather they let all of us know there are boundaries.

But the biggest point is that you value something about yourself over the group's well being. I don't mean that in a "kumbayah - let's live in a commune" kind of way, either. I mean it in a way that all organizations from a military squad to an AA meeting, to a recreational shooting club would mean it. We're here to converse, and you value the fun you seem to get from being the disruptive rebel on Samba MORE than you value what the rest of us get from being here.

I gotta say man - there are other ways for you to get your kicks that don't involve pissing in the punchbowl as someone aptly put it. Make your call, and do it on this thread. Either make some conciliatory comments that indicate you care enough about what we're here for, or tell me to pound sand. I want to know if you value this place, or if you're indifferent to the quality of conversation here? Don't start another post about previous situations - I'm asking you as a mere member of Samba what you value more? And importantly, I'm asking you this personally.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
pushkick wrote:
sensor ship is a dangerous thing

Yes, I much prefer the crystal ship

it is being filled with
A thousand girls

My ancestors came to America on the sensor ship. That's why I'm still in the club
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
... Yes, I much prefer the crystal ship

it is being filled with
A thousand girls

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Ohhhhh, now you're talkin'.

One door closes, another Door opens, and way more fun than the boreds and bitters.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Hey, wow! I thought this should have been locked, but now I am starting to see it is quite good to have this all out for everyone to witness!!! Maybe letting the ones who can't keep themselves from stirring things up with rude comments, or just plain idiots SHOULD be able to do that in a thread such as this one. Kind of good to know we can look at this in a completely different light. See peoples true virtues, and make up our minds as to who to ignore. I certainly have gleaned much more from this than I figured I would.

I agree, it is not technically within the boundaries of the forum, but it does have value to the community as a whole.

Thank you KZ and D!!!
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
dobryan wrote:
I have to admit that I do not understand why some folks have had dozens of posts removed and are still allowed to post. I do not get it. 🙁

Because they are knowledgeable and often helpful. Like CV grease, it does the job, but is messy to work with.

Aloha
tp

True. However, at some point, one walks away from the campfire when the occasionally helpful blowhard talks so much that he keeps a half dozen other equally or more helpful people from getting a word in. The half dozen other folks also leave to find a civilized conversation at a different campfire while the occasionally helpful blowhard goes off endlessly to whomever is left listening/suffering.

This...

Yes, this...
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow. I just got on and read the whole thread from my comment forward. BlueBus, I just have to lay something on you here. I think you should be banned for a time. It's that simple and let me explain why.

You are part of an organization that is based upon conversation. We don't knit afghans. We don't cook vegan food. We don't play chess. We converse. But you deliberately converse in a way that irritates others and this thread makes it clear that you enjoy that role.

Now a reasonable person here to participate in the conversation would respond to consistent messaging over time that they are creating friction by accepting that is true and choosing to change if they valued continuing to be a member of the group. You don't want to change and show respect for others in so doing that. So it's fairly clear to me that you do not value being a member of the group enough to alter your behavior. It's also fairly clear to me that you have absolutely no intention of changing in the future. By hacking on the mods in front of us all, you appear to be calling their bluff and I don't like that. It makes it seem like they are letting an asshat push them around, and that makes me uneasy that nobody's in the wheelhouse. I'd rather they let all of us know there are boundaries.

But the biggest point is that you value something about yourself over the group's well being. I don't mean that in a "kumbayah - let's live in a commune" kind of way, either. I mean it in a way that all organizations from a military squad to an AA meeting, to a recreational shooting club would mean it. We're here to converse, and you value the fun you seem to get from being the disruptive rebel on Samba MORE than you value what the rest of us get from being here.

I gotta say man - there are other ways for you to get your kicks that don't involve pissing in the punchbowl as someone aptly put it. Make your call, and do it on this thread. Either make some conciliatory comments that indicate you care enough about what we're here for, or tell me to pound sand. I want to know if you value this place, or if you're indifferent to the quality of conversation here? Don't start another post about previous situations - I'm asking you as a mere member of Samba what you value more? And importantly, I'm asking you this personally.

Doug

And this... Well put Doug.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
just in case you missed it kamzcab86, that is a smiley face at the end of my post you quoted above. As you have said the smiley face is an indication of something said to be funny , so why are you telling me to chill out if indeed the smiley face means it to be taken as funny???? seems you took it the wrong way, even with the smiley face.

OMFG... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Since YOU missed it: Smilies take the place of your face. What you posted in that alleged sarcastic first reply to Dave was this: Rolling Eyes . See what that smiley is doing? It is rolling its eyes. What does rolling ones eyes in real life indicate? You have a penchant for using that smiley, which does NOT, in fact, indicate humor to anyone except yourself. If you don't want me, or anyone else, to take things the wrong way, a) stop posting nonsense outside of helping folks with technical problems, b) if you do post off-topic stuff, stick with straight-talk without your idea of sarcasm, and c) learn to use the correct smiley.

bluebus86 wrote:
if you know... blah, blah, blah, poor me, blah, blah, blah

It is painfully clear that you hear, but do not care to listen. You read, but do not care to comprehend. You dole out garbage towards others, but cannot receive it. You give advice, but decline to accept it, even if it means bettering yourself. You see this forum as needing to revolve around you, but refuse to see that you are one cause of strife in this forum.

Because of the above, I am no longer going to waste my time and energy responding to you, and I highly recommend everyone else do the same.

Doug, well said! Applause
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Hey, wow! I thought this should have been locked, but now I am starting to see it is quite good to have this all out for everyone to witness!!! Maybe letting the ones who can't keep themselves from stirring things up with rude comments, or just plain idiots SHOULD be able to do that in a thread such as this one. Kind of good to know we can look at this in a completely different light. See peoples true virtues, and make up our minds as to who to ignore. I certainly have gleaned much more from this than I figured I would.

I agree, it is not technically within the boundaries of the forum, but it does have value to the community as a whole.

Thank you KZ and D!!!
Couldn't agree more, but I trust by "idiocy" you're referring to the aggressors, not the ones poking a little fun into the stress.

This is a danger with Forums, I find it more productive to specifically call out the people driving others away rather than being vague after a non-aggressive post. That makes a post appear to be directed at the one prior.

The Quote button and direct communication are our friends here.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Let me just say, to all you who have been hitting your head repeatedly against that brick wall, that I know your pain. You know who you are, even if the brick wall doesn't.

However, just something to reflect on...

One definition of mental illness is to do something over and over in the hope of a different result.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

There's a meaning behind that! Something like: You can't teach a brick wall to play catch. It can do something similar, but it's not catch.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Because Everett chooses not to implement a Troll Control strategy, many people have abandoned the Samba.

Trying to explain to a Troll that they should not be a Troll is just feeding the Troll

The ignore feature helps, but it does not prevent others from quoting a Troll, while trying to educate them, which is pointless.

Bottom line, if you see a Troll post, report it, but do not quote it or argue with the Troll.

If enough people would report Troll posts, Everett might eventually figure out it is consuming too much Moderator time to keep this place "sanitary".

Maybe a brief review of what constitutes Trolling will help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
"a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

It is completely beyond me how Everett tolerates the hostile signature file that bluebus is using atm..

I mean WTF is Everett thinking? Does a noBan policy really help anyone?

now back to our regularly scheduled entertainment..
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Because Everett chooses not to implement a Troll Control strategy, many people have abandoned the Samba.

Trying to explain to a Troll that they should not be a Troll is just feeding the Troll

The ignore feature helps, but it does not prevent others from quoting a Troll, while trying to educate them, which is pointless.

Bottom line, if you see a Troll post, report it, but do not quote it or argue with the Troll.

If enough people would report Troll posts, Everett might eventually figure out it is consuming too much Moderator time to keep this place "sanitary".

Maybe a brief review of what constitutes Trolling will help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
"a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

It is completely beyond me how Everett tolerates the hostile signature file that bluebus is using atm..

I mean WTF is Everett thinking? Does a noBan policy really help anyone?

now back to our regularly scheduled entertainment..

"Trying to explain to a Troll that they should not be a Troll is just feeding the Troll"

You have just fed the troll. And so have I. Twisted Evil

Aloha
tp
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

I'm Casey the friendly troll™, and I'm sworn to only use my trolling as a force for good.

Ty Webb: Just be the troll, be the troll, be the troll. You're not being the troll Danny.

Danny Noonan: It's hard when you're talking like that.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Troll's have an inner spring, of the mechanical kind (not the kind from which moistened binks lob scimitars.)

If you call them a troll, that spring gets wound up TIGHT.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

There's definitely a few people I've taken off the Xmas Card list and seeing their posts again in this thread makes me want to shoot that partridge in the pear tree for crapping all over my Vanagon.

I'd like to see a zero tolerance for their repeated self-righteous ignorant attitudes leftover from another generation.
It's not happening though so they are still here.
I just put them on ignore. It's not a perfect answer and doesn't give great satisfaction because it doesn't solve the forum problem of letting them continue again and again.
We all have problems inside our heads and most of us deal with them successfully even though we may not think so at times, but we move on to have good dialogue with strangers we've never met.
The people that cannot have a good dialogue...there's not much worthwhile to say. However, I will not allow their limitations to become my limitations.

There's too many open roads to drive and even though it is really tempting to run over some folks who like to slow you down with the way they act behind the wheel of life I just go around them and they disappear in the mirror.

Enough of this proverbial bullshit-Have a great holiday everyone! Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
We are too busy polluting the Bay Forum....

HAHAHA As a bay owner, this is/was hysterical!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

Doug

people like you should be banned for all time, your personal attacks are forbiden. Of the two choices you offered me, pound sand is my choice. love you baby anyway.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with you people?!? Reply with quote

Thread is finished now.

Several posts were left in place so people can decide whether they need to block certain users.
I realize this is not a perfect solution, for the reasons mentioned above.

Feel free to report or start reporting anything that is out of line if you don't think I am getting a good idea of what people are abusing others.
Or PM or email me directly with comments.

Signature privileges are removed for users who abuse others in their signatures.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: