Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Replacement Luggage Top
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

I can't seem to find one in the great interwebs ... I woke up this morning to find this. And I don't want water to get in and rust my roof out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

ouch. A boat shop can fix that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

Look carefully at the luggage rack, specifically the corners of the actual luggage carrying space. There are holes.

The luggage rack space is designed to drain water through those holes and down to the sheetmetal roof below it, where it then drains out the front and sides of the luggage rack, through the loose "seals" (that don't really seal, and aren't intended to seal).

If you don't believe me, run a garden hose in your luggage rack and see where the water comes out... it flows out neatly from under the fiberglass rack after first flowing over the sheet metal roof.

Westy luggage racks should be removed every few years to clean debris from under the luggage rack. It's the wet debris that can cause rust, not plain water.

Your fears of water and rust are unfounded, because water has been coursing through that space since it rolled out of the factory, by design.

The post above is where I would start. Any boat shop could fix that luggage rack fiberglass easily. Get it repainted, and order new decals from your favorite vendor... and your problem is solved.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:

Awesome ... I never would have thought of that!
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

I’d suggest removing the luggage rack and repairing the damage. Fiberglass repair is deceptively simple, if you have the right materials, and some patience/elbow grease, etc..

While a boat shop can certainly handle that, it will likely be quite expensive. A friend had a local marine shop fix a fiberglass kayak with about half the damage as your luggage rack, and the bill was $400.

Here are a couple of threads covering somewhat similar repairs:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6591875
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7790592
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

Yes, forget my boat shop idea, do it yourself. I was successful with no prior experience. I'm sure a boat shop would have made the repair seamless. You can definitely see my repair. I probably could have spent some more time cleaning it up. I still may...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

busraker wrote:
I can't seem to find one in the great interwebs ... I woke up this morning to find this. And I don't want water to get in and rust my roof out.

Dang, Did a branch land on it? Looks like a bit of damage to the window frame too.

Short-term, it looks like the windshield needs to be replaced. Long-term, repair or replace the luggage rack. There was one on the Seattle CL recently, but now there's a pop-top with no luggage rack. There are two pop-tops with luggage racks in the classifieds for $400 or less, one in CA.

Repair does seem to be a rock-solid approach. The luggage rack can be removed in 10 minutes and a rudimentary fiberglass repair can be completed in a day or so.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

Unless you have done fiberglass repair on curves before, your end tesults will look like the above mention repair.
Your damage is not simple so, take it to a body shop or boat repair shop that repairs fiberglass. The repair will not be inexpensive.

If it where mine I would wait for one to show up in the classifieds, as mention no harm will come to your roof. Have you posted in the classified wanted adds here?
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

huh, I can't find the pop top in CA that you mention...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

The nice thing about fiberglass repairs is that you can do them over later if you are not satisfied. Try the repair yourself first. It is not rocket science. You can go back and make it better later. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The nice thing about fiberglass repairs is that you can do them over later if you are not satisfied. Try the repair yourself first. It is not rocket science. You can go back and make it better later. Very Happy

Yep, you could repair that a thousand times if you didn't quite get it perfect the first 999 times!

Do a search for fiberglass repair. I'm sure there are You Tube videos on it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
Took the words out my mouth.

Unless you can find a replacement cheaper, and the color matches (!), looks like a good time to redo your old, tender, and now-damaged roof -- if you have the time, and space, and inclination. About to redo mine sometime soon myself, likely in the middle of nowhere.

(Edit: after reading the DIY thoughts, which are certainly possible if you're comfortable with trying it, make sure to use the woven-cloth type of fiberglass cloth for structural strength -- the location of the damage needs all the structural help it can get)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

There are two fiberglass products to consider for an at home repair of your luggage rack.

Cloth & Matting.

Use the matting.

It is really easy to work with and it absorbs & holds more resin at any one time to give you quick build up results.

Do go over to you tube , there are plenty of examples of how to repair that hole real easy.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

Is it the same luggage rack for all westys with front luggage?

Craig
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

I believe they're all the same.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
huh, I can't find the pop top in CA that you mention...

Dang. The hinges are in CA, the pop tops are both back east. I misread the locations when I scrolled over on my phone. Sorry about that.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ds=Pop+top

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

I looked for SEVERAL years to find a replacement one. No luck. Anybody that had one for sale only wanted to sell it complete with main pop up section. Or they would not ship it.

I ended up repairing it on my own with advice gained here and some You Tube videos.
I repaired inside and out with fiberglass and then "cleaned" it up shape wise with a little bit of bondo.

It came out pretty good. Have not painted it yet. The white you see is primer.

_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Replacement Luggage Top Reply with quote

Tully Mars wrote:

Nothing like first hand experience (on both finding and then fixing) to answer a question.

Your pics are good inspiration for someone in the same boat.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: