Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine-block heater plug in
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

does anybody out there plug there cars in at night to keep the case warm? I live in a cold climate, and want to drive my dub to work. It's a little difficult to start some mornings, especially with dual dells popping and farting (no choke). I looked around, and couldn't find anything on the subject, so I didn't know if anybody did it. So thought I would just ask. Thanks
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

Nevada....Cold.....HAHAHAHAHAHA. It was -29C this morning here.

I used to use a block heater when I drove my ACVWs in the winter so they would start when it was -40. I'm older and have a nice warm truck now. The block heater will do nothing to get heat up in your carbs and stop the cold stumbling you experience. Just let it idle for a bit and go.

brad
zbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

Yep. Northern Eastern Nevada. 5500 ft. Not Vegas. Nothing like up there, but we can hit -20C often during the winter. cold enough for me. A motor sure turns easier with warm oil. I also drive a nice warm truck to work that's plugged in. it's real hard on the rings in a diesel to start it cold, So I'm sure it's hard on any engine. I'm sure it would warm up MUCH quicker with warm oil in it,

See!! just today

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

If the oil is warm, the engine will crank over faster---(but, unfortunately, it won't help your carbs.)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1515716
I used one 50 years ago in Minnesota when an old VW was all we had to drive.
zbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
If the oil is warm, the engine will crank over faster---(but, unfortunately, it won't help your carbs.)

yep. I understand that. but it'll hopefully quit spitting sooner, and help the engine life.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was looking for. I have a friend who's telling me that my bug is horrible in the snow. So of course I have to prove him wrong. maybe save some fuel at the same time.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

zbug wrote:
iowegian wrote:

yep. I understand that. but it'll hopefully quit spitting sooner, and help the engine life.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was looking for. I have a friend who's telling me that my bug is horrible in the snow. So of course I have to prove him wrong. maybe save some fuel at the same time.

Studded snow tires on a Beetle---------unstoppable.
You betcha.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

Yes ....those oil pan heaters were life-savers back in the day!! These days, you can buy magnetic block heaters ..(http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kats-engine-heaters-magnetic-heater-200w?cm_vc=-10005) ...perhaps one could be adapted to work on the carburetor area. Just an idea .....
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

A buddy of mine had a van he drove year round. He used to put an interior car heater in the engine compartment to keep the engine warm.

brad
zbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

I have a magnetized ones, but i can't get it to set flush onto anything, the one in the ad seems to look the best
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

show him one of these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/ad34.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/djoul/T2%20Der%20bringt.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/djoul/vw%201300.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/djoul/Wo%20der%20winter%201972.jpg

And finally the snow plow driver ad, my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnEbNgHFco

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

I have come across several of these carburetor jet heaters:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/Jet%20Heater.jpg

Their hard to find but I wouldn't call them rare.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

I've been around VW's my whole life. Having grown up in the Manistee National Forest of Michigan we were known to practice our own version of snowmobiling with a Beetle. We would tackle the two track fire roads as long as we had four or five in the car to lift us out if we got stuck. didn't have to be all guys either, sometimes a girl or two would come along. You couldn't do that with "Merican Iron". VW's were cheap and plentiful. Sad to say; I've probably played a part in ruining more VW bodies than is my share. I'm making up for it now Wink

rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

I used to drive my '63 year round in Fairbanks, AK and used one of these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1794062

Coldest I ever saw was -57°F and I never had a problem starting. Shattered my seats though.
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Nevada....Cold.....HAHAHAHAHAHA. It was -29C this morning here.

I used to use a block heater when I drove my ACVWs in the winter so they would start when it was -40. I'm older and have a nice warm truck now. The block heater will do nothing to get heat up in your carbs and stop the cold stumbling you experience. Just let it idle for a bit and go.

brad

Lastly, Here's a pic of my 1965 Bus here in Southern California, just 90 minutes to the beach.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like the OP i live at high altitude, just short of 7,000 feet. I've had a sump plate heater installed on this bus off and on over the years. When the snow gets this deep the heater is a bit hard to access.

tasb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

rsthj wrote:
I used to drive my '63 year round in Fairbanks, AK and used one of these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1794062

Coldest I ever saw was -57°F and I never had a problem starting. Shattered my seats though.

brrrr, and don't slam the door very hard.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

Installing an interior car warmer under the rear deck lid might be a good idea, as slalombuggy mentioned. They do a pretty good job. On northern Canadian construction sites, they use these warmers to heat the outhouses ....really!
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: engine-block heater plug in Reply with quote

I can also attest to the cold nasty weather here in Northern Nevada although not as nasty as -20 but on occasion it dips around zero here every winter.

One cheap alternative that I used to use was an infrared heat lamp set to come on with a timer. I used to set it under the engine at night and set it to come on about 2 hours before I had to go out and start my bug. Fired right up with hardly and cranking. It also helps to warm up your heat exchangers too!

My baby now resides in the garage so I don't have that issue anymore!
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: