Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

205/65 need spacers?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: 205/65 need spacers? Reply with quote

I just bought a 1962 Beetle that has 6" Fuchs with 215/65 Toyo Eclipse tires. The previous owner lowered the rear by rotating 1 inner spine down and 1 outer spline up giving the car negative camber that I don't care for. I'd like to return it to stock in the rear.

Also, he had to add to spacers to keep the rear tires from rubbing.

MY QUESTION: If I used 205/65s, could I return to stock height and would I need the spacers???

The front is lowered with a four inch narrowed, adjustable beam with 2.5" dropped spindles. It has 4.5" Fuchs with Nankang 135s. I will change those to Firestone 145s.

Would I still have the nice rake the car has now. It looks like on Tire Size Comparison the 215 is only 1/2 inch taller and 0.4 inches wider. Also, the 145s look to be 0.6 inches taller. I can adjust the front up too.

Any suggestions?

Here is a photo of the car as I bought it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 205/65 need spacers??? Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
That 215/65 is a tall and wide tire. Your early car probably has the short axles and you are rubbing on the inside? Even with spacers?
You may be able to answer some of your own questions by doing this. A protractor would be helpful but not mandatory. With the car on level ground use a floor jack and with the jack positioned under the front trans mount begin to jack the car up. What you might want to see is what the tire does on the inboard side. If you get the car's rear jacked up to what you visually desire then measure the rear wheels camber. You can also see where the tire is positioned within the wheel well. Are the rubber bump stops in place?
Depending on why you have a 215/65 tire in back you may elect to use a more popular sized tire, such as 195/65, 185/70, 205/65, 215/60, etc. Any of those three should give you some more clearance. As I recall, some of the fast Cal Look cars run a 205/70 tire on the street because of it being able to drop the rpm's while freeway driving vs the shorter tires.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Dan206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 205/65 need spacers? Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Bill.

I went ahead and ordered BF Goodrich Premier Touring 215/60s.

This is what Ron Flemming has on his 1960 Beetle. I really like the look he has. After talking with him, he told me the rear is lowered the a bit. I may leave mine as is. I'll know after I get the tires mounted.

Thanks again,
Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: