Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Split Window Club of America ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
That is Steves list, it matches the copy I have, scroll down and check the tabs you will see one for splits as well as others.

Bill

Correct. I have been updating the registry. I also included other information in the file as well, including a Hoffman registry. Just scroll down to the bottom to find the different tabs. A lot more changes are coming.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2886811&highlight=#2886811

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I see it now, and my old chassis number is still listed. Wonder where it went ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50 Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when are we getting the club back together?
1968 Beetle (11/67)
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (6/86)
WTB Air-Camping roof top mount http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1499947
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see it put back together at some level. No sure reading the posts, is it still intact at some level today? Someone in Canada still keeps records??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you go about resurected or reviving that club? Does anyone own the name or the club logo? In other words are there any legal binds to prevent anyone from using that name? Nowadays you never know, I would hate to see someone put a lot of time and effort into resurrecting it only to have someone say "hey thats mine I am gonna sue!". Call me cynical but I have seen lawsuits for lesser things. Guess what I am asking is, who is / are the founders of the VWSWCoA and would they object or grant permision? Any legal eagles care to comment?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since it was (most likely) a non-profit, "club" type organization, I doubt there is any legal basis for a lawsuit for taking up the name. Unless someone can demonstrate loss of revenue, trademark infringement, defamation, etc, there is little basis for a civil suit.

Nonetheless I would certainly solicit the approval of whatever past members/organizers you could find before proceeding. Many times there are people are still involved in the hobby at some level, but don't participate here (imagine that!!) or even have a presence on the internet. So it is just a matter of chasing a "name trail", making phone calls etc.

I still think the idea of such a club has merit, and would be willing to set up a website etc., once there was some synergy on what it would/could be. My "top three" would be:

1) A gathering point for split owners on the web to include an owner's registry (typical reg stuff, plus pics, names, history known, etc.)

2) An identity point with a new logo, and perhaps some kind of elegant badge made that could be placed on members cars

3) A genesis for a few "driving events" in various places in the country. Once established could be yearly events.

Yes, the pool would be small, and my approach to things like this is starting out, to set expectations very, very low (as well as time investment, etc) and try to build some critical mass. A website logo, merchandise is cool and easy to do, but there has to be something more and a real perceived benefit to membership.

Check out the 356registry (.org) for ideas. They function very well, have active local chapters (with their own sites), easy to read charters and are clear what the clubs purpose is.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50 Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be hard to revive the club, we could find out from the person(s) who has the old club records if there are any trademark or other issues with the name, logo, etc. As far as I know the SWCoA/VWSWCoNA is deunkt and can be revived with no issues, we would be reviving what once was. A website would be necessary for communications, recruiting, information, etc. we could even have a forum added here just for members if it were allowed. The old club was organized nationally by seven regions (including Canada), have a rep for each area that would eventually grow into a team of people to organize and run that area. Incorporation as a non-profit would be necessary for tax and other issues, insurance for shows and such would have to be worked out. We would need to have a constitution & by-laws to govern the club/procedures, we could use the old constitution and by-laws and update them as necessary. It would not be a hard thing to do but will require effort, I started a local VW club by my self in the 90's that still exists and it was alot of fun, I met some really good people that became friends through our association with VW's.
1968 Beetle (11/67)
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (6/86)
WTB Air-Camping roof top mount http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1499947
Adanac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

Jeff was in a serious car accident in 1996 that left him with a bad brain injury but he passed from a heart attack. A great long time friend that will be very missed.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

... Steve Woods and I wrote letters often. He sent me this Split Window Club sticker for one of my bugs, back in the 70s...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

Adanac wrote:
Jeff was in a serious car accident in 1996 that left him with a bad brain injury but he passed from a heart attack. A great long time friend that will be very missed.

This is sad news ........ Before his accident Jeff was also very involved in the local VW club , He lived in the same town that I grew up in and as a collector he has always been a huge inspiration to me.
Adanac and I'm very sorry for your lost of an old friend and Thank you for sharing the news.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

https://www.oklahomacorp.org/volkswagen-split-window-club-of-am
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:
Adanac wrote:

This is sad news ........ Before his accident Jeff was also very involved in the local VW club , He lived in the same town that I grew up in and as a collector he has always been a huge inspiration to me.
Adanac and I'm very sorry for your lost of an old friend and Thank you for sharing the news.

I think the memorial is this weekend Peter. I can pass on the info if you'd like. Some of us from Canada are thinking of coming down.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
empiracer wrote:
Adanac wrote:

I think the memorial is this weekend Peter. I can pass on the info if you'd like. Some of us from Canada are thinking of coming down.

Yes Please
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
https://www.oklahomacorp.org/volkswagen-split-window-club-of-am

I moved to Oklahoma (from NY) in 1993 with my 2 splits... 11/52 and 6/52. Heard pretty soon afterwards that there was another guy in Tulsa who just sold 2 splits.

Finally met Daryl, from Joplin, Missouri, the new owner of a black 1949 standard and a green (I think) 1950 Deluxe.

Sounds like Daryl bought the 2 splits belonging to the the Split Window Club guy.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

Here Peter, from a facebook post.

Just heard some sad news regarding an old MVHS friend from the class of 1967. Jeff Slater passed away on November 14th in WA. DC while on a business trip. Cause of death is unknown at this time. His memorial service will be held December 17th at 2:00 pm at ROCK OF HOPE Church, 7812 224th St. SW, Edmonds. Please share with everyone who knew and loved Jeff.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

... Steve Woods' splits

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

About 10 years ago I picked up a handful of some old newsletters from the club off Terry Shuler. A couple of them even had letters from Steve Wood to Terry. Great stuff.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daftendirekte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

So, I haven't heard of Steve Wood but I just did a sit down with Cliff Crate.

The story he gave me was that Bob Scott started the Split Window Club of America as early as '72 at his (Cliff's) chicken farm in the San Fernando Valley. Bob Scott, Rich Kimball, Jim Thompson, and some 25 other people got together to found the club and it morphed into the Vintage VW Club of America in 1976 or so
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
Jeff used to also restore semaphores. He is very good at it too.
If you see this sticker, it's a Slater semaphore.

Btw empiracer, we should hook up for a cold one soon. I have some info on the subjects we were talking about at the brewery.

As a weird point of side interest, Jeff was a great friend for many years. I stayed at his place often while flying out to attend the Seattle Vintage VW meets. I could go on and on and on about our adventures. I bought my first Oval Beetle from him.

As for his semaphore restorations, he was great. I still have a pair put away that he did for my '55 Oval with orange lenses and a pair of convertible semaphores he restored for a future project I have put away. He showed me how to restore them, and at some point he mentioned that he wanted to have those stickers for the cloth-wrapped windings made with his initials instead of SWF. I have a background in graphic and technical illustration, and long story short, I sketched his logo up, did final artwork of that logo in the above photo and gave it to him and he had them printed up and he installed that sticker on his restored semaphores from that point on.

Jeff was a great guy, a super-enthusiast, and I still miss his company!

Bill Bowman

p.s. Great to hear that Cliff Crate is still alive and kicking. He was (still is?) a lot of fun back in my early days of Volkswagening in the late 70's. He had an amazing collection of old rare VW cars and parts and a head full of knowledge! I hope he is still playing with them!
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: