Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just lost someone I Love to Cancer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Got a text message from a cousin last Dec. 9th saying if I wanted to see my Mom I'd better get up there to N.Y. We had just relaunched the boat after a hard yard period and were leaving in two days for the Caribbean...not the time for this to happen.
Left late after work to arrive at midnight and had a good clear conversation with her for about 3 hours before she started fading off into early memories.
I left at 03:30 to get back to the airport to fly back down for work.
About 10am she had passed away. I accepted that and went back to work.
Five days later they had her service and I couldn't get there because I just couldn't get away.
She gave me a great sunrise that day off the Dominican Republic to say everything was going to be alright.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's still not alright, but it's better. It will never be alright.

Crukab, I feel for you. It's a journey we all will make, but it is not the end of our existence.

You know...I had a nice picture posted here for this moment in my life and Wow...it suddenly disappears from my gallery..you have to hand it to the powers that be for their misguided sense of morality. Thanks a lot, really do appreciate it it being deleted.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

3 hours. not a lot but..it is 3 hours. sorry for your loss.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
3 hours. not a lot but..it is 3 hours. sorry for your loss.

Thank you. It is just the cycle of life we all are going to travel. It was a good three hours.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

we lost my mom last saturday( 10/8 ). i got to spend some time with her the last week as i was her main caregiver most of that week. the 3 rounds of chemo she had done in 4 months had taken a toll and then she developed a bloodclot on the brain which led to a series of mini strokes and falls. she went into the hospital for over a week. from there into a nursing home for 5 days. hospice set her up in-home last tuesday and she passed saturday.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your loss LS, some folks say the loss gets better w/ time, not true, the pain is just not as sharp.
I see my Dad every day, his pic is my screen saver, anytime I shut my computer off, I HAVE to sit & wait until his pic is gone, it just helps me for some reason. And the Cancer never leaves any family, my Sister just had surgery for Breast Cancer, she is in the best shape of the four of us, go figure. Evil or Very Mad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about all the heartache people have gone through with their loss of loved ones. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32, never drank or smoked in her life. I was 10 years old and still remember my mom and dad calling my brother and I into their room and explaining to is what was going to happen. She was given 3-5 years, this was 1979 and I still remember that day clearly. She went through absolute hell to try and live as long as possible to see my brother and I grow up. Well, she lasted 15 years and it finally got the best of her in 1995. She was only 47 years old. She missed out on my wedding by 3 years and on seeing her first grandchild by 8 years. Most painful thing I have ever dealt with in my life.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Dad got the news last week he has a kidney tumor. Everything else looks clean so I am off to the urologist with him on Friday to see if we can get it frozen.

Not fun dealing with it but better then dealing with a funeral.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

While I did not personally know here (Cindy Stowell from Jeopardy) Died before taping.
She died from Colon Cancer at the age of 41. A tragic death of a talented lady.
Time to get a Colonoscopy in honor of Cindy. I've known too many people with Colon cancer, don't let it happen to you.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

At four o'clock this morning my brother died from cancer. He was in Hospice at the Boise VA Hospital.

He had lung cancer that had spread to his spine and adrenal glands. He hadn't had use of his legs for two months.

High praise for Saint Luke's Hospice in Boise and The VA Hospice in Boise

Jerry had smoked for forty years and had quit just a year ago.

If you care about yourself or your family DON'T SMOKE !!!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Tom,

Sorry for your loss. It sucks, just sucks.

Lost may dad in 1977. Found out he had lung cancer in December, was dead by March. In those days the Chemo usually killed you before the cancer did.

I know there have been great strides in treatment but, the cure is still a long way away. Hopefully in our lifetime this dreadful disease will be eradicated.

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

My mom died of lung cancer as well, had the same type of thing. She had quit 30 plus years ago. Her friend who never get her ears pierced, told my mom if she quit Smoking "Cold Turkey" she'd get her ears pierced. My mom quit and her friend to this day still wears earrings.
The sad thing is that it was Dad who got my smoking when they were young, my dad quit in his 20's in the early 50's when everyone smoked. And my mom continued on. She just needed a good excuse.
I think my dad is still upset with himself, for losing his wife after 64 years of marriage.
My heart goes out to you. It's been over 3 years, but I always get a good smile out of mom everyday.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Lost a friend's wife to breast cancer this year. I was sad to find out when I called my friend. We have not got together for a year. Terrible that I joke around a lot and had asked him if his wife had left him yet - she always threatened to leave him if he did not change his ways whatever it was.

Dying is a fact of life -everybody must make the trip. I had told my wife that if it were my time to not sell off my tools and guns. All should pass down to my son or nephews if they like to have them. I don't have much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

My dad died Oct 2. Prostate cancer 10 years ago that came back. He failed to have a regular PSA test and finally had one in May. At that point, the cancer had already metastasized and was in his bones and lymph nodes. My sisters and I spent 4 months taking turns being with him and mom. He had no regrets. He was 83 and had lived a good life. Mom is 80, is facing dementia and is going on with life. She moved from their house into assisted living.

A regular PSA test is so easy. A simple blood test. Don't ignore it.

FU#3
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Lost my dad this August ( on my birthday of all days) to a short battle with liver cancer, he didn't have any signs prior to getting sick in April. I'm glad he's not suffering anymore but I miss him every day!, worst is when I start to call him to ask him something and the realize I can't. Getting a little better, but it still bite!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Hey birthdays can be hard. My Dad passed on my wife's birthday, shortly followed by my wife's Dad passing on her brother's wife's birthday. Makes birthdays odd.Cancer will be beat one day in the future though.
, ,
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

We can hope, getting tired of seeing it take people, especially the kids!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I'm losing my dad to colon cancer it has spread to is lungs and liver. The doctors have gave him 3 to 4 months to live. I really hope longer. It does sucks we still had a few cars to fix up on our bucket list. I have enjoyed working on cars with my dad that's why i'm so much into cars since a young kid and going to car shows with him. I summitted one of our cars on garage squad when we found out. I was hoping to get to it next but I guess he won't get to see it done. It's a 57 chevy belair 2dr HT that my parents have owned since the early 70's and i drove to high school in the early 90's. Then we got into vw's and it was parked in our shed ever since. My dad is 72. Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by galencurrington on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Putting a new windshield and trim on my dad's ghia was on his bucket list and i got one side done last time I went home. I home in the next couple weeks to finish the other side.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I lost my mom a couple months ago. She got pancreatic cancer at age 53, totally out of the blue. She was healthy and a wonderful person. I still can't believe it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I have lost so many relatives and friends to cancer that I have given up counting. A friend (lost his wife a year ago to breast cancer) is in remission now with a brain tumor and we went to visit my flying buddy today who has but a few weeks left with us.

There is no one these days untouched in some personal way by this scourge!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: