Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cannibalizing a free 1975 Mercedes
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Cannibalizing a free 1975 Mercedes Reply with quote

Maybe this forum might be a better place for this....

A friend at work has a 1975 Mercedes diesel that he said I could have for free.
Something is supposedly wrong with the fuel system, but otherwise the car is in pretty good shape, according to him. He just wants it gone.
It has a Becker Mexico radio in it and that is all I really want. He told me I could have the radio or the whole car, with the emphasis on "whole car".

Here's the question...

Anybody have any ideas of things on it that might be retrofitted to a beetle that might be kind of "factory" appearing, like is done with Porsche stuff?

Dan
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannibalizing a free 1975 Mercedes Reply with quote

Get whatever antenna and power cabling that came along with radio- it may be proprietary.

Maybe take the OG headrests and make a set of accessory units from them- they slightly resemble Kameii units. In the trunk- check for roadside safety equipment, jack and tools with German writing. Interior lights might have some crossover- so check for things like lights in the glove box or map lights under the dash, to name a few.

Under the hood, maybe there's a neat filter, washer fluid pump or horn?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cannibalizing a free 1975 Mercedes Reply with quote

THe big loud Mercedes horn would be cool on a Beetle. Having an old Merc myself, there's not too much crossover stuff that would really work. Tools and little stuff yes. But outside of that I don't think too much would.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cannibalizing a free 1975 Mercedes Reply with quote

Or you could find the issue and repair it. Those old oil burners are pretty rock solid and have a good bit of support.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: