Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

92 jetta crank bolt
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

I am wanting to replace the timing belt on my daughter's '92 Jetta 1.8L gas engine. The bolt that holds the pulley to the crankshaft seems extremely tight and I have not been able to break it loose. Is it possible that it is a left hand thread? Anyone been there/done this?

Thanks in advance. Merv
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

That job does not require that center bolt to be removed. Just the four bolts that hold the pulleys to the sprocket need to be removed, and they may need to have the heads drilled off, as they tend to be soft and round out if the hex bit doesn't fit well or they are stuck.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

PS2375 is correct, the center bolt does not need to come off unless you want/need to replace the crank seal. If you need to, the Down & dirty way is to put a breaker bar on the crank & brace it against the ground or subframe & "bump" the starter to break it loose.

& if the Allen head socket bolts strip, it's not necessary to drill them out. The easiest way to extract those is to buy a Snap on (others will break) T45 torx socket bit & hammer it (I use a 48oz BFH) into the stripped fastener & remove fastener. (It's now a Torx head)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

I doubt the fluid would creep in far enough (to threads) but it can't hurt to apply good quality penetrating fluid to the Allen head bolts. If time permits, apply, wait a day or two. Be mindful of excess fluid and belts. Before attempting Allen head bolt removal, clean Allen head socket with a pic tool and flush out dirt/grease with brake parts cleaner. Dirt in the socket is one main reason these fasteners get rounded out. Well, that and well intended Loctite. Wink

If the job is done right, you won't need to do this, but if you need to turn the engine by hand, turn it clockwise via engine crank pulley bolt. (NOT cam gear bolt).

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

Thanks all!

It is a bit dark under there and it didn't look like the pulley would clear the bolt head but that is indeed good news! I did the timing belt on my '76 Rabbit but that was many moons ago so I didn't recall that part though it is most likely the same.

I have a fresh set off Allen wrenches and did get the ones for the power steering pulley off so... with a bit of care all will be good.

Thanks again, Merv.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

I finally got back at this project. Yes the pulleys do come off without taking the center bolt off. That is the good news.

The bad news is that I found where the antifreeze is leaking. Under the timing belt cover the head gasket is leaking! Is this a common problem? Is it a sign of a warped head or just a failed gasket?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

Cast iron blocks and aluminum heads shift a lot during heating/cooling. It would not surprise me that the headgasket is leaking. The newer metal gaskets do work surprising well. A PG gasket [G60 Corrado] should work if you want to spend that kind of money. The head may be pitted due to corrosion if you are not good with coolant changes.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

If you have good compression numbers, I'd say it is just a HG leak and not a warped head. It takes a lot to warp one of these heads.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

Thanks all, I will give it a compression test and see how it is.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 jetta crank bolt Reply with quote

I got a high of 160psi and a low of 145psi. Not that shabby for an engine with well over 300,000 kms on it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: