Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link Pin Help
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scameronh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Link Pin Help Reply with quote

I am putting new link pins on my 1964 356. I am using the Febi Bilstein kit with their dust covers and o-rings. I know that these were not used in the original design, but I am ok with not being perfectly original. I also know that you are to use 10 shims per pin. I have done my measurements and know the order for the shims. The kit actually only came with 32 shims instead of 40 so I am reusing 8 of my old shims. The kit did not come with any assembly diagram.

I did not take apart the front suspension so I am now trying to figure out where the dust cover and o-ring goes and in which direction to put in the dust cover. I think that the dust cover would be the last piece added to the pin before it is put onto the trailing arms and the o-ring going right before that so it fits in the dust cap grove. But this means that the dust cover is clamped between the King pin assembly and the trailing arm and it just does not look right to me.

Any help or diagrams would be appreciated.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Link Pin Help Reply with quote

As I understand it your car should have 8 shims per pin plus the o-ring & dust cover. Earlier cars had 10 shims per pin with no o-ring or dust cover. The o-ring & dust cover take the place of two shims.

If your steering knuckles/link pin carriers have a recess on both sides then it originally used 10 shims w/o the dust cover/o-ring combo. If your steering knuckle/link pin carriers has a recess only on the side where the head of the pin sits & the other side is flush then 8 shims plus o-ring/dust cover combo. You can use either the 10 shim stack or the 8 shim plus o-ring/dust cover combo.

The little tab protruding on the dust cover fits into the groove in the trailing arm. That will tell you which way it faces.

Check the thread below starting at page 116 onward. It goes for several pages on & off discussing link pin shims. Page 117 gives a great tutorial by Jack Staggs on setting them up.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Proj...;start=690
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
scameronh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Link Pin Help Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. The o-rings and square dust caps are for VW. I am going back to the factory and use the original dust caps and seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: