Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Journey Of Joy
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JourneyOfJoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

https://www.gofundme.com/JourneyOfJoy

Hello There,
My name is Malik Wade, i'm 17 and i'm from Southern Ontario Canada. I grew up around Volkswagens, learning how to work on them, driving in them, ever since I was born. My dream has always been to own a Volkswagen Bus. I have pictures i drew ranging from when i was 5 years old up too a few days ago haha. I even remember buying a old 1968-1979 VW Transporter Manual when i was around 5 or 6, bringing it in for show and tell and memorizing parts of the diagrams! Ive obsessed about them ever since i was a young boy and it was my goal to own one as my first car.

Although i realized saying and acting are very different. After working and having enough to buy one i realized that the world is full of suffering and underprivileged people. Because of this realization i donated them to a range of different charities. I also do lots of volunteer work; to local schools, picking up litter around my community, Towards underprivileged families, etc.

Then i had an idea. My idea was to get a group of friends together, travel the USA, Canada, and parts of mexico. Volunteering at schools, food banks, soup kitchens, Salvation Army Stations, Building Washrooms and water stations in Mexico, Helping Out and donating at orphanages, And Spreading Joy around north america (Hopefully To south america as well). But then i thought what could we get there in? And what vehicle is a symbol of Joy, Peace, And thankfulness. Then I instantly thought my childhood dream vehicle, a VW bus.

If you donate a dollar it will be helping me and helping every underprivileged family on the way. I'd be starting a youtube channel to keep everyone informed and show you what i'm doing to make the world a better place. Plus from the day i bought the bus, while i'm making it road worthy and restoring it. Also, so you can see all of the smiles you helped put on peoples faces.

Thank You!
Help spread the word!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

You'll be so swamped with repair work you'll forget about your mission, but good luck. The path to hell is paved with good intentions.
JourneyOfJoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

the bus in the photo is not mine its just being used for reference, also i understand but i wont be travelling tons everyday, maybe every week or half a week id be in a different town supporting families and doing what ever i can do to give back and help families out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

I have a VW in my back 40 that someone with your dreams bought. He would have had better luck working a good paying job to get it fixed up than thinking that would happen by donations.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

I get you want a bus, and I get that you have a passion for it, but I don't think you'll get anywhere by donations. Like the previous poster said, you should start saving money and not rely on others to give you money. It seems like what you're trying to do is really good. Good luck!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

One important thing I learned when I was raising money for my Eagle Scout project is asking for donations out of the blue doesn't really work well. I ended up washing cars, hosting bake sales and doing odd jobs to fund my project. Its a lesson that I never forgot. good luck
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I get you want a bus, and I get that you have a passion for it, but I don't think you'll get anywhere by donations. Like the previous poster said, you should start saving money and not rely on others to give you money. It seems like what you're trying to do is really good. Good luck!

I don't know about that but here's what I see. Wife and I went out for Christmas dinner today and the guys that work the off ramps with card board signs are making a killing, lots of folding money changing hands. The spirit of giving is happening here. Very Happy isn't it funny but most donations are given anonymously, every year Salvation Army finds real gold coins in the kettle and its happened again this year three times already. I know its probably not feasible these days but when I was a kid I showed up at a VW repair shop and emptied trash, washed parts, basically whatever in exchange for the boss teaching me the trade and allowing me to scour through the pile to fix my car.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Who knows, but once Christmas is over I think that spirit drops a lot. I hope this guy gets donations.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Buy a 90s Chevy/Ford van, easier to find cheap & not rusted out, cheaper & easier to get parts for, & more room inside.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Buy a 90s Chevy/Ford van, easier to find cheap & not rusted out, cheaper & easier to get parts for, & more room inside.

Conjures up memories of old Mat Foley, he lived in a van down by the river.
JourneyOfJoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Thank you for all the feedback. i forgot to mention that i recently found a job and have been working overtime to fund this project, im going to use all the money i received from donations for helping community's, also giving back to schools also and a bit of it on the repairs that are bound to happen.
JourneyOfJoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Conjures up memories of old Mat Foley, he lived in a van down by the river.

haha yes!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Seeing as how it's so late in the year, Can this count as our quarterly Gofundme thread for the first quarter of 2017? Rolling Eyes

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

I must be getting old. In my generation, when you wanted something, you went out and worked for it. My generation would of NEVER asked for donations for us to acquire a vehicle. The other difference is that our parents back then didn't just buy us a car either unless they were rich. My first VW was funded after working like a dog for my Dad all summer in horrible heat at 16 YO. I still feel like I got the short end of the stick on the deal as well. Very Happy

The unemployment rate is very low and everyone is hiring right now. IMOP, there's no reason anyone should ask for people to GIVE them money to fund their dream bus/car/vehicle. I think it's simply in bad taste to do so.

P.S., I do donate to good causes that I've fully vested first. There are good things and projects that people with the means should donate to. Helping our vets is a good example.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

This ^^^ Applause

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

^X2^, and TDCTDI's suggestion is spot on as well.
For 1/10th the cost of a bus you could have a nice Astrovan or full size with more room and likely better gas mileage that can keep up with modern traffic, there's also at least one in the wrecking yard of every town you visit and if you need new parts they are dirt cheap on Rockauto.

Everyone's gotta have a dream, but if you are really serious about helping others devote your funds towards the work, not the means of getting there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Why not just do what you want to do and NOT ask for donations. Don't even tell anyone. The rewarding experience is unimaginable. Don't ask me how I know. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey Of Joy Reply with quote

Locked because we are descending into insults here (some posts were removed).

Support him or not, you decide.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: