Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA black plates
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Quote:

a DMV office where one can wait for an hour before one of the helpful people that work for me will assist me. Dont they do know that after 10 years the month sticker becomes faded! Yet they wont mail it to me, instead I have to waste time in their long lines.

In addition to AAA doing this service, I hope you know that you can make appointments ahead of time at your friendly local DMV office and cut the wait down to 15 minutes or so. I only go there to renew my driver license; all registration related matters I do at AAA.

the wait for the appointment is nearly three weeks last time i did that, and even though I had an appointment, did not get seen for thitry minutes past the appointment time. one should not have to pay for aaa membership to expidite dmv service. I dropped aaa a long time ago after they tried to rip me off in an insurance claim.

In what part of our lovely state do you live? I used the Whittier office and had no problems. The trick is like doctors' appointments--schedule them first thing in the morning so there's not this horrific backlog of people ahead of you. As for AAA, I can't vouch for their insurance but for registration and roadside help plus all the discounts you can get at various places, they're hard to beat.

redwood city. line half way around the building before they open is typical.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Quote:

a DMV office where one can wait for an hour before one of the helpful people that work for me will assist me. Dont they do know that after 10 years the month sticker becomes faded! Yet they wont mail it to me, instead I have to waste time in their long lines.

In addition to AAA doing this service, I hope you know that you can make appointments ahead of time at your friendly local DMV office and cut the wait down to 15 minutes or so. I only go there to renew my driver license; all registration related matters I do at AAA.

the wait for the appointment is nearly three weeks last time i did that, and even though I had an appointment, did not get seen for thitry minutes past the appointment time. one should not have to pay for aaa membership to expidite dmv service. I dropped aaa a long time ago after they tried to rip me off in an insurance claim.

In what part of our lovely state do you live? I used the Whittier office and had no problems. The trick is like doctors' appointments--schedule them first thing in the morning so there's not this horrific backlog of people ahead of you. As for AAA, I can't vouch for their insurance but for registration and roadside help plus all the discounts you can get at various places, they're hard to beat.

redwood city. line half way around the building before they open is typical.

Unfortunately the line part sounds very familiar. That's why I limit my visits there to the bare minimum possible.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

I used the DMV website last year to make an appointment for the same day. I had to renew my license, take an eye test, and get a new photo since I hadn't had to do that in the previous 15 years. I was in three lines (I could hardly call them 'lines' since there wasn't anyone ahead of me) and was in and out of the building in only 13 minutes! Dancing And 4 of those minutes were spent waiting for the photo taker to return to his window before serving me.
However, the purpose of the office I went to is for driver license transactions only. There are only four such offices in the state. The one in Stanton is only 5 miles from my home. -----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/fo/Driver_License_Processing_Centers?lang=en
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

I used the DMV website last year to make an appointment for the same day. I had to renew my license, take an eye test, and get a new photo since I hadn't had to do that in the previous 15 years. I was in three lines (I could hardly call them 'lines' since there wasn't anyone ahead of me) and was in and out of the building in only 13 minutes! Dancing And 4 of those minutes were spent waiting for the photo taker to return to his window before serving me.
However, the purpose of the office I went to is for driver license transactions only. There are only four such offices in the state. The one in Stanton is only 5 miles from my home. -----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/fo/Driver_License_Processing_Centers?lang=en

There's one in Lompoc? Nothing in San Diego or even Sacramento, but Lompoc? Unreal. Rolling Eyes
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

There's one in Lompoc? Nothing in San Diego or even Sacramento, but Lompoc? Unreal. Rolling Eyes

I thought that was strange, too. Maybe it's because of all the Airmen at Vandenberg AFB. But then why not one in Oceanside for the Marines at Camp Pendleton?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Thanks I've had that plate since 1980, found while walking along a railroad track near Sylmar Ca.

Still in the area? We used to find all kinds of good stuff along the tracks. Would usually hit the Kwik market on San Fernando and Roxford and take the tracks back up to Polk to get back to school, no cops to harass us during school hours.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Ok, I kicked up this thread some time ago and just read through a lot of responses. Since then, I came across a black and yellow plate of mine I had on the '64 Chevy PU I had in HS and early college before I had a roll over accident in it and it was totaled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I read this on some offshoot site while researching on the DMV site. As I understood it, I cannot reuse an old plate unless it came from the same year of the car's manufacture. Thus, my 1303 being a 1974, I would need a Blue and Yellow plate with an issue date no older than 1974 (or newer). Is that correct? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, however it IS California, so not much does.

H2OSB
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

AFAIK the California blue plates cannot be used for YOM purposes yet, and your truck plates should only have one letter since it's a commercial vehicle and wouldn't work on a passenger car since passenger plates have three letters.

1 letter = commercial
2 letters = trailers
3 letters = passenger

You could get the new legacy plates that the CA DMV offers for your car though, but no YOM for your car yet.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
AFAIK the California blue plates cannot be used for YOM purposes yet, and your truck plates should only have one letter since it's a commercial vehicle and wouldn't work on a passenger car since passenger plates have three letters.

1 letter = commercial
2 letters = trailers
3 letters = passenger

You could get the new legacy plates that the CA DMV offers for your car though, but no YOM for your car yet.

Truedat!

But once I had a '71 crewcab from AZ, when I registered it i
here in CA I got pass car plates for it

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
lonotch wrote:

1 letter = commercial
2 letters = trailers
3 letters = passenger

Truedat!

But once I had a '71 crewcab from AZ, when I registered it i
here in CA I got pass car plates for it

The Toyota T100 truck I inherited from my mom has passenger plates.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

You can get passenger plates on a truck to save on the yearly fees but technically you could get a ticket for anything in the bed of the truck, even a sack of groceries. My brother inlaw has them on a four door frontier with a shell over the bed, there are benefits for having commercial plates, you can park in yellow and loading zones.

A lot of DC's and SC's have passenger plates since either the DMV or the owner registered them as a bus.

German Folks
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

If you really want blue plates for your car you do have a few options,

Find someone selling blue personalized plates, they are transferable and legal.

Order some personalized black legacy plates and have them painted blue, it's illegal but no where on the title/registration would it say what color the plates are, but if you get the generic plates it would stand out that they were altered.

Or just paint the plates you have on the car now, I wouldn't recommend that though.

German Folks
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

You can't buy "new" old California plates. licenseplates.tv used to have them, but it is illegal to make California passenger plates, probably because of the legacy thing. Your best bet for blue plates is to find a matching set at one of the swaps or on eBay.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
You can get passenger plates on a truck to save on the yearly fees but technically you could get a ticket for anything in the bed of the truck, even a sack of groceries. My brother inlaw has them on a four door frontier with a shell over the bed, there are benefits for having commercial plates, you can park in yellow and loading zones.

A lot of DC's and SC's have passenger plates since either the DMV or the owner registered them as a bus.

My truck has a shell as well. I have never been pulled over even with the bed full of stuff. I guess that's legal?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
AFAIK the California blue plates cannot be used for YOM purposes yet

Modified SB 1429 just extended the yom program to vehicles 1980 and older making blue plates available for all aircooled rides!!!

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1429

SECTION 1. Section 5004.1 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:

5004.1. (a) (1) An owner of a vehicle that is a 1980 or older model-year vehicle may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.
(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.
(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars ($20) that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.
(d) If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: