Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swaybar bushing
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Has anyone swapped the inner (front) bushing of the swaybar for the front suspension?

No longer available fra VW of course, any other source?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Yes. Long ago I swapped mine as they were shot.

At the time I used standard cylindrical urethane ones from Energy suspension components. The sway bar on the early models is 15mm and the later are the 16.5mm.

I had to buy a generic sway bar bushing and widen the inner hole and narrow the outside diameter slightly with a Dremel tool and a sanding drum. They worked well. They needed silicone grease not to squeek.

What I ordered and used were not actually sway bar bushings. They were 5/8" ID generic shock absorber eye bushings. I think it was part # 9.8116G from energy suspension components. In the long run you would be better off with Buna rubber instead of urethane.

If you start with that part # and google....you can find that Energy suspension components has many different parts numbers that are similar.

If memory serves.....you may have to find shock eye bushings that have a 9/16" ID and widen that slightly and a thick enough OD to be slimmed down a little if need be.

Many auto parts stores also sell generic replacement shock eye bushings in normal rubber.

I need to source new ones because after more than a decade...since urethane hardens up a few percent per year.....literally shattered when removed.

I may actually make a few. I do not know what options you have where you are.....but I can order rubber tube from McMaster Carr industrial supply. It is Buna N at 75 duro....sl8ghtly harder than stock.

It can be bought with 5/8" ID.....which is almost perfect....and 1" OD. If I cut it to length I can mount it on a mandrel in a drill press and sand the OD alightly to create the flanges and reduce the OD so it will fit the clamp.

A 6" length is about $6.50.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Could some of these be useful?

http://autobua.no/understell/powerflex/universale-foringer
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Powerflex got one that measures 16mm inside diameter and 25,5mm outside diameter. Length is 50mm. Sounds like a good match?

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/products/Parallel+Bushes-2790/1.html
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Two problems with those:

1. If these are for the front end....they need to be round.....with no flat side so that first one will not work. They will however work on the rear sway bar if they are the correct size

2. That second bushing will not work because it needs to have side flanges or it will walk out of the clamp.

Even a powerflex slope sided shock eye bushing can be made to work with a small amount of sanding.

Google the Powerflex lower shock bushing for a Saab 900 and you will see what I mean.

Our front sway bar bushings are virtually identical to a shock eye bushing. Round, tubular and with a collar on each end.

The other problem I found with urethane is that the OD will have to be very close to perfect in size because the split clamp used on our cars is not rigid enough for the clamping bolt to compress urethane without bending the clamp. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

So the part inside the split clamp is 25mm, or the outside diameter on side flanges?

Is the side flanges ar 25mm, I was thinking of using the round "barrel" type bushing, and Dremel it down in senter so it should fit the split clamp.

This is the exact one I was thinking of, ID 16mm and OD 25,5mm;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PF99-110-Powerflex-SPECI...1985675321
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

hulken wrote:
So the part inside the split clamp is 25mm, or the outside diameter on side flanges?

Is the side flanges ar 25mm, I was thinking of using the round "barrel" type bushing, and Dremel it down in senter so it should fit the split clamp.

This is the exact one I was thinking of, ID 16mm and OD 25,5mm;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PF99-110-Powerflex-SPECI...1985675321

The part # for early cars was 411 411 045 and later cars were 411 411 045 A.

The difference between early and late are the difference in early and late swaybar diameter.

Measurements from an old part:
Total length 40.5mm (1.59")
Side flange diameter: 33.5mm (1.32")
Outer diameter under clamp: 26.3 to 25.9mm (1.02" ro 1.03")
ID: 15.0mm to 15.3mm (0.55" to 0.60")

This is an early one as its part # is 411 411 045

The rubber bushing wrapped around the sway bar itself is the same part # as the one abkve it mounted to the body.

I will post a picture in the am. There are some very important problems that happen with using bushings whose OD is not the correct size.....especially urethane bushings.

At one point in time I wanted all urethane bushings. As I started working with urethane....I realized two very important items.

1. The lifespan of urethane bushings is,very short compared to synthetic rubber normally used. And.....urethane changes fairly rapidly over time gettjng stiffer to the point of causing rough handling or damage.

2. Urethane for suspension bushings....unless you special order....generally has a,minimum durometer (shore hardness) of 75Duro and usually 80-83 Duro. This is actually,several orders of magnitude harder.

The BIG BIG difference between synthetic black rubber like Buna Nitrile or neoprene.....is a commonly unmentioned difference in REBOUND/ELASTICITY.

What does this mean?......well...when you check the durometer or hardness.....you use a calibrated probe to make an indentation in the rubber. How far it dents under a set pressure conforms to a scale of hardness (durometer).

But......what is not measured.....is that when a probe or force of any kind is released that is compreasing either symthetic rubber or urethane......the urethane springs back with much, much higher energy....or rebound. This means that as your suspension compresses the urethane bushings.....not only does it take numerous times the force level to compress it because it has a higher durometer......it reflexes or rebounds with many times the energy.

This wears things out.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

OK...some pictures and measurements:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First the location. You will notice that they do not show the bushing in the bracket above it...and nowhere I can find in the parts book..even in the chassis welded parts section...do they show the top bracket.
Also one thing is clear from my car is that the top bushing ..at least on mine...was not split. It was solid but identical in dimensions to the lower bushing in the clamp that went around the sway bar. The upper bushing was installed with the inner tube bushing inserted through the eye bracket in the body and then swaged at each end permanently.

To replace the bushing, the new upper one will need to be split or I will remove the upper tube bushing and install a clevis pin with a cotter pin and washers so when I remove the sway bar..I simply pull the clevis and the bracket and bushing assembly stays on the bar itself.

part number list

The part and part number...this is for the earlier 15mm bar

The part with dimensions

The part in the split sway bar clamp...and right here you can already see the issue. This bar has been run with Urethane lower sway bar bushings for about 30K miles.

So when clamped together this is one possible fit on the top bushing...the tongue fits in the slot so the clamp cannot slip sideways......WHICH I HAVE HAD HAPPEN AND IT IS VERY DANGEROUS!

This is what is happening at the other end...barely engaged. In reality once both bushings are in this clamp...both ends are barely engaged.

This illustrates he issue. The clamp fit from the factory is not a perfect tongue and groove mesh fit...but these clamps have been stretched by using a urethane bushing in lower bushing position.

This further illustrates how wide apart the parts have been spread.

You need to make sure the OD of the part...if you use urethane....is just large enough as needed...and pay attention over time to see if the clamp is stretching and correct it.

This can be corrected by taking each half of the clamp...mounting between two boards...and squeezing it slightly in a vice to flatten the clamp slightly.

I will say that using urethane bushings definitely makes a slight improvement in handling. You can see how much torsional load is put on the bushings by the fact that it stretches the clamps.

The factory stock bushings are approximately 50-55 durometer. You can get Buna rubber hollow tube...in 75A durometer...which is very similar to basic urethane....but does not have some of the energy rebound issues.

In fact in modern cars like my Golf...when buying performance front suspension bushings like strut mounts on ECS tuning's site....75 Duro high pressure cast rubber mounts are the in between performance level between stock and urethane. Ray
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

To make it easier in the future I have decided to change the mounts. The inner mount will be a universal swaybar mount, the same as I will be using to doublestack the two rear swaybars. I will have to cut away original mount, and make a new mounting plate.

Outer mount is Porsche 944 frount outer swaybarmount

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Nicely done! I will keep wtching this! Please keep us in the loop.

One auggestion. I have used the same method for the front outer links that you did uskng parts from some water cooled VW/Audis
I took it off....because it was far too soft with standard 50-55 duro donut on each side of the control arm...AND a rubber bushing for the sway bar end to go into. It waw more of a flexibility and misaligment issue under load. Very squishie.

But the "type" of outer link is a good idea. The stock outer link "block" of the 411/412 was actually excellent as it was very rigidly linked to the control arm but had enough cushion in the rubber of the block.

My suggestion is to replace the top donut on the outer link....with urethane.. and leave the bottom black rubber. This will give less flexible misalignment....but still give flexibility Ray
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Thank you for the input Ray, will order a sett of poly parts. When going rear double-Stack swaybar, should ai replace the rubbee there too?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

hulken wrote:
Thank you for the input Ray, will order a sett of poly parts. When going rear double-Stack swaybar, should ai replace the rubbee there too?

On the rear.....its a bit different and scarier. I used a thinner than stock poly bushing donut on top kind of like I suggested for front and a thicker standard rubber one on the bottom.

.......it snapped the outer link two months later going around a curve wnd it almost rolled the car. It happened twice so it was not a fluke.

I would say keep the softer black rubber donuts on the outer links in the rear. The double sway bar is an excellent mod. Makes a big difference.....but its a lot of force. The urethane has so much higher loading and less give.....that it can snap the stock outer link.

One thing I was looking at doing for the rear is making an outer link that has a thicker threaded pin. Maybe go to a 12mm pin made of a grade 8 or class 12.9 bolt.....threaded into a piece of round bar stock with a hole drilled through the center to press a standard rubber or urethane shock eye bushing into to connect to the end of the sway bar. The bolt could them be spot welded to the bar stock so it cannot unscrew.

The way I did my rear double sway bar.....I still have modified type one clamps holding the two bars together both inboard or where the upper bar mounts to the cross member and at the outer link ends.
But....since I am only connecting to the ends of one sway bar.....I sliced off the ends of ai think the lower one. I will have to take a picture maybe in the morning and post it. Ray
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

I have a set of Porsche 944 front swaybar links I will be using in the rear, like Bill K sugested over at another forum. They are thicker and more suited when double-stacking swaybars. But I guess I will stay with rubber bushes in the rear, due to your experience.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

hulken wrote:
I have a set of Porsche 944 front swaybar links I will be using in the rear, like Bill K sugested over at another forum. They are thicker and more suited when double-stacking swaybars. But I guess I will stay with rubber bushes in the rear, due to your experience.

I will have ro look at,the 944 parts. If they are thicker than the stock ones....use them.

The problem with the stock 411/412 outer links is that the threaded rod that connects to the trailing wishbone......is too small in diameter.

So.....if you upgrade the stock oiter link with high performance urethane......the jrethane is too stiff and as the sway bars come to maximum angle change in a,corner......they extra compression will snap the link.

So if the 944 links are larger....use them. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

To be more clear.....I will post some pictures shortly of some outer links that will work but need some slight modification to work.....but point the direction to what is needed if you are to use the double sway bar safely.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

So...here is what I have been playing with years ago...and also...to a good extent Bill K is correct about the Porsche 944 link....but a couple of warnings.

By the way..thank you Hulken and Bill K for that information. At least at a glance without measurements the front outer links for a Porsche 944 are virtually identical to the rear of a 411/412.

So the 411/412 parts in question:

Part group # 12

Here is the problem I experienced with upgrading the original type 4 outer links:

Here is a crude sketch of what the outer link looks like looking sideways toward the wheel. The sway bar is pinkish. The blue rubber donuts....were 50-55 durometer Buna-N rubber from the factory.

I replaced them with 70 durometer urethane discs/donuts. This is a big problem on the stock outer links that we will get to soon.

This is what happens when you do cornering in the car and the trailing arm pivots. The linkage pivots on its bushings and creates compression which is normal and how it works. But....it creates very high pressure impingement points shown by the red X's.

Before I snapped one of these links...I had warnings that the urethane bushings were too much. While the handling was AWESOME....about every 2-3 months one of the thick dished steel washers on each side of the bushing donuts needed to be replaced because it was warped... Exclamation Exclamation Question Idea ...should have been a warning bell.

BUT.....what people forget...and what I forgot as well.... Rolling Eyes is that these bushing donuts are being used as SPRINGS and vibration dampers all at one time.

As an elastic spring....urethanes have far, far, far...more compression loading and rebound than Buna, Neoprene or EPDM rubber. This is why they are used as industrial elastomer springs.

For example:
50-55 durometer Buna-N (factory...has between 1500 and 2500 psi compression. The 60 durometer urethane has 4100 psi ...and 70 durometer urethane has 5,000+ psi of compression and rebound.

So...when loaded at an angle and "pinched"....I think I calulated a while back that a 70 durometer, 13mm thick donut can generate something like 20-30,000 psi of resistance.

It bent the pin attached to the tube/collar of the link....and snapped the pin off!

Here is what we need:

The one on the left is from a Mk-2 golf and has a 12mm thread and 10mm pin.
The one in the middle is 411-412 and has an 8mm stud. Other than that they are quite well made.
The part on the right is from an Audi...I think. It is tough as nails and if it had attachments it would be superb. Just here because its in the collection.

The problem with the Golf Mk-2 part is that it is slightly shorter. Too short...until I find the right bushing thickness for it.

You need to have enough length on the linkage that with a nut, lock washer, flange washer and bushing on top of the trailing arm and a bushing and flange washer below the trailing arm...it must be long enough that the sway bar does not contact the trailing arm at any angle.

It "can" work...but the top bushing must be very thin....and to work very thin...it mus be very tough (urethane)....and it leaves little room for angle compression under the washer.

A little more detail.

The Porsche 944 front outer link...stolen from the Pelican parts site.

This looks very promising. It would be nice to know what the thread diameter is.

I would make the busing inside the eye....buna rubber...or it will squeak going over every bump unless you can find a poly-graphite bushing.

If the bushing in the eye is urethane would make the donut bushings Buna-N for some give.

If the bushing in the ye is Buna-N...i would make the top of the trailing arm donut of Buna-N and the lower donut of urethane...probably 60-Duro.

With the proper outer links...the double swaybar modification is one of the most important and high performance handling mods you can make for the 411/412.

With just factory level single swaybar...going through curves the rear of the car tries to do the steering. The double sway bar prevents this. Ray
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

I will order a pair of the Golf 2 links, might be the best Solution for the front swaybar. And the 944 could handle the rear doublestacking.

Type 4 on the left and the 944 on the right.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Swaybar bushing Reply with quote

Ah!.....thats nice to know. So the 944 part is 10mm. That should do a good deal better.

The stock one is fine.....but its just on the fringe of being strong enough. The 944 part should be strong enough. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: