Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rust under widow seals
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: rust under widow seals Reply with quote

I have a 71 sback recently purchased for cheap. Car is from FL and has pretty extensive rust popping out along bottom of side window seals and front w/s. I want to fix it myself as I am a poor farmer, and can't afford pro. I have seached the forum and found an overwhelming amount of info, and I have almost no body experience. I want to fix these areas, some of which have rusted through, and want it to last for a few years. The rest of the car is beautiful and I will not be painting the whole thing, just over the fixed areas. Anyway, I have thought that to fix these areas I may be able cut out sections and pop rivet aluminum panels, then build up from there. I (obviously) know nothing about/have access to welder. I do have donor car but these sections on it aren't much better. Does this sound reasonable or do any of you have a better idea for novice bodyman? Thanks for any help. Rob
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to do it right the first time. I'm about to start removing the fiberglass and pop-riveted sections (P.O. installed) from my Thing, and *attempt* to clean out all the rust that had grown underneath before welding in new sections.

New Millermatic 135s only cost about $550 new. Pop-riveting will only make it more expensive in the long run.

Hope this helps,
- Scott

ON EDIT: Please note that I don't bear any animosity toward the P.O. of my Thing. He was doing what he thought right (and within his skill) to keep his Thing looking good for "a couple more years." Consider me the Ghost of Your Volkswagen's Future. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
rob10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. What is a Millermatic 135? Sounds pretty expensive, whatever it is! Or maybe it's a great deal, depends on what it is. Seriously I have no idea, could you explain? Also, what do you mean about more expensive in the long run, does this mean that I will have to fix it again sooner, or do you think that it would be OK for a few years? Thanks, Rob
CPRcubed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Millermatic 135 is a 110V wire-feed MIG welder (you'll need access to some sort of welder for the repairs). Cheers!
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: rust under widow seals Reply with quote

rob10 wrote:
Anyway, I have thought that to fix these areas I may be able cut out sections and pop rivet aluminum panels, then build up from there.

i wouldn't rivet in aluminium and hide with bondo...how bad is the rust (soft crunchy metal that a screw driver will push through, full of holes, or just extremely bubbled paint/surface rust?)

i would either weld in donor parts for a very solid fix

OR

for a much cheaper temporary fix, use POR-15's metal putty product to sort of build up the rusty areas, bridge small holes (upto about the size of a quarter) and seal the rust from further rusting...i have seen pics on the samba of body worked fixed with this and they initially look pretty good...not sure on durability, but if you buy into POR-15's claims, it should get you by for several years until you can afford a better fix...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
rob10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info and suggestions. The rust is mostly the bubble type although there are a couple spots, maybe quarter size, that are all the way through. That is under the windows. On the top corners of front fenders closest to the w/s I have rust holes all the way through size of maybe golf balls, and adjacent areas of bubbles. On my donor the tops of the channels around side windows appear intact, would it be possible to use these, meaning same size/shape to cut and weld? And if so if I cut them all out what do you think a welder might charge me to weld them in? I am sorry this may be a stupid question but I truly know nothing about welding. Thanks, Rob
rob10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Mark I will be in your area soon, how do you like living in Ft. Collins?
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't say what a welder would charge, but if you are going to be in this area in the near future, i'd be glad to check it out, offer some advice and lend you my MIG for a day or two...i haven't been welding for very long (since last fall), but it is an easy skill to pick up if you aren't a perfectionist and willing to use some filler on solid metal...

Fort Collins is a nice community...good restaraunts, plenty of breweries, fair amount of nightlife, plenty of outdoor activites within a couple hours drive, great weather and DIA is a decent airport...it's a little pricey by my midwest standards, but nothing like cali or the east coast...CO front range is pretty crowded, but it doesn't feel as crowded up here...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
rob10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that would be very cool, I would love to learn more about welding and would really appreciate that. We will be through there in 3-4 weeks. Yeah we will be moving from Daytona Beach area to points unknown@ this point, plan to cruise around and check out Co, Utah, and possibly Wyoming (but have heard Wyoming weather may not be exactly what we are looking for). Bodywise, sounds like thumbs down to the ol alum/rivet idea. I will cut out the donor panels in the meantime and run it by a welder here to get some idea of what it might cost locally these areas on my car by no means must be perfect just weatherproof. Thanks for insight, and Ft. Collins area does sound pretty interesting. Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: