Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are your winter upgrade plans?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Steering wheel
New T-Handle shifter
New wheels
New tires
New drums
New 2110 engine
New clutch
New oil filter/cooler
New Prostreet w/freeway flier transmission
New 1 5/8 exhaust

What fit without hassle? The steering wheel and the shifter.

Rear drums were fine, but in front the wheels stick out 3 inches so I'm waiting on blank drums to get rid of the adapters. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625250

I ordered the wrong tranny type (my bad)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626784

And today UPS delivered me a special present: a cracked Steve Tim's stage 2 head on my ship-it-right-back 2110 (Their bad, so much so...)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626980

Oil cooler and filter miss half the fittings (no thread on that Wink )

interesting season. Time to learn all that buddhist zen stuff...

On a positive note: Clonebug, that was wicked run on your 1679 turbo, you've got a sweet setup.
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
neohic wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Build these:

How are these coming along, Joe?

Well, ADHD kicked in and I think they became winter 2015/2016 projects.

The Green Viper is now one body with a completed shortened pan.
The Franken Manx is now two pieces, (cut the lengthened piece out)

And the first of January I took on re-building Loretta for buggybrian. Restored both the hacked out tire well and battery well, glassed the doors back in, filled 367 holes and metal Flaked the entire body inside and out. Custom Roll Cage, Custom Chassis. Brian is coming this weekend to pick it up and take it home for finishing.

Then I will be helping wvbowtieman finish off his Moss Green Manx to take on the ECVW '15 trip.

Once Back from CA, who knows what I will get into, but most likely the Viper.

Nice to see someone got something done on a buggy over this winter. I am yet to pull the body off to retrieve a broken tap so I can continue on base plates for the future cage. Embarassed Trying to find somewhere local to me for DOM too. It's tough living in the sticks. d'oh!

I like to build stuff...
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-E-brake install
-Roll Cage
-Body off and go through entire pan and drivetrain
-replace all the seals on engine (1200cc)
-Make wiring diagram
-Fix Odometer
-New front seats with sliders
-Storage compartment under rear seat and in side pod
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that stuff you did last winter or are you already looking at what will be on next winter's list?

In either case, I applaud your ambition!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singerdude wrote:

On a positive note: Clonebug, that was wicked run on your 1679 turbo, you've got a sweet setup.

Thanks for the positive comment. It's been a long road to get where it is now.

I've been chipping away at the winter upgrade list and it's getting close.

New DRD 40X37.5mm valve turbo heads installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed an external oil cooler with a Mocal Sandwich Thermostat.

Thermo Sandwich...

Cooler hoses...

Pretty tight under the body....

Got some wiring upgraded....

EBC is installed and wired....

Body is reinstalled...

I fired it up and drove it 5 miles to town and back.

No boost involved because I'm just feeling it out to make sure everything is right.

Once I make sure the valves are good and the oil cooler is working properly I'll crank it up a bit.

I have to learn all the new add-ons to my MS-2. Getting the Electronic Boost Controller set up correctly will take a bit but it should be a great improvement.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Was that stuff you did last winter or are you already looking at what will be on next winter's list?

In either case, I applaud your ambition!

Lol- aint that what its al about...the ambition. I just got the buggy so this summer/fall is all about driving it since it is in very decent shape. This winter is about going through it to catalog what is there and what needs attention.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

After seeing cwat's thread I thought I'd bump this one back to the top of the list.

When the cold weather comes, wherever you are, it can be great time to take time for maintenance, repairs, improvements, changes and whatever else floats your boat.

The lack of deadline pressure: No "I gotta get it back on the road by next weekend for the trip to the beach/mtns/car show"itis can give way to license more invasive repairs that disable the car...so what if it's not running by Friday! Or even Friday a month (or two!) from now.

I've got my engine out...re torque, reseal. Found the source of a pesky rattle (pushrod rubbing on tube under load). Cleaned carbon off the heads and pistons.

After the car is running again (February at the rate I'm going) I have some tool attachment points to fabricate for a shovel, fuel cans and a jack, a roof rack to install. Should be wrapped up by the time I feel like freezing my cojones off on my first trip to the beach in the spring.

What are you other Northern Hemisphere folks working on this winter?
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

Very slow but steady progress for me, but still progress. Nothing complete enough to put in my own thread yet.

Since October 2015, I have:

- Replaced short axles with long axles
- New brakes all around, including drums (Type 3 on rear), master and wheel cylinders, shoes, and lines
- Disassembled / reassembled frozen front suspension
- Gathered tons of parts, including a new fuel tank, new wiring harness, engine tins, '68 speedo, early column, and an early steering wheel.

Still have tons of do though.

Recently I cut a small portion out of a new Scat doghouse fan shroud and fabbed a filler piece so the whole thing would clear the body. Had a welder buddy put it all together, and it turned out great. I also modified the shroud to accept flaps so I can run a thermostat. Mock-up pic in primer:

Clearanced and cut up my brand new fuel tank, and my welder buddy is putting it all together as I write this.

Pulled the longblock apart for inspection recently and will be making a couple of changes.

Otherwise, it sits. Tons and tons to do, but hoping to have it going this summer (right).

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

Hard to tell on my smartphone, is the top of the shroud tapered to the rear (facing) side?

I had to modify my shroud to accept the flappers too. Took half a day of careful measuring and drilling. I guess I can understand why the aftermarket tin folks dont bother to cut those holes, with so few folks using the stock t-stat hardware.

I bought a new pulley today..my old aluminum one is fine but wasn't stamped with timing marks. New one from CB Performance has a sand seal and timing marks cut into the rim.

All good winter sports.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

I'm going to update the second of my WI solenoids to get rid of the last elcheapo solenoid and put the good stainless one in.

Hoping to have time to figure out an intercooler again.......wishful thinking more than likely.

Mine is stripped down with the engine out and the heads off.
Have a little issue with the intake valves leaking. Rolling Eyes

Since I put 8500 miles on it this past summer I want to go through it and check everything .
When I looked at everything with the body off I found one nut had come off holding a relay in place and one bolt on the shroud was loose.

I do have a Front disc brake kit coming with Chevy/Porsche wheel pattern.
I'll pick up another set of Weld Draglites for the front so all wheels will match.
I also have all the parts to redo another front beam with adjusters, kingpins and linkpins which I hope to install.

If this cold weather would go away I could go out in the garage and get something done..... Crying or Very sad

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

If my health holds up, I may make several trips this year. Import Nationals at Carlisle PA, about 1500 miles total. Trip to Manx In The Middle in Saint Louis, about 1700 miles total. Trip to Moab Utah, about 3800 miles total. Manx At The Glen, about 1800 miles total. Manx On The Banx, about 1800 miles total. And a few "Local" shows for around 2000 miles total. And a good 2000 miles driving it for work.

I need to do some rear suspension maintenance. I have almost 43,000 miles on the buggy since completion on June 21, 2014. The last time I had it out last week, the rear suspension was squeaking. Also, the D-side torsion bar has taken a little more set than the P-side. The D-side adjustable spring plate is adjusted all the way up and the P-side is all the way down.

So, I will pull it all apart, re-grease the Urethane bushings with Prothane Grease, re-index the D-side torsion bar and have another go at it this Spring.

With all the use, the zippers on my soft surround are pretty worn and the P-side is giving some troubles. The windows are pretty scratched up and from experience, sunscreen lotion stains them. So, I may make a new soft surround for it.

Happy New Year!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Hard to tell on my smartphone, is the top of the shroud tapered to the rear (facing) side?

wythac,

Yes - I cut away a section at the top rearmost section of the shroud. Years ago when I first put the car together, the factory shroud rubbed the body at that part of the shroud - every 'glass body I've seen like mine (Action Products, Portland) that runs a doghouse has the body cut away around the fan shroud, but I didn't want to cut mine. I bought the Scat shroud, hoping the body would clear it, and it didn't. Ideally one of those factory Brazilian low-profile shrouds would've been the best bet, but I couldn't find one. Here's another pic - all you can really see of the work is the line where I reconfigured it - you won't even be able to see it when it's installed in the car.

wythac wrote:

I had to modify my shroud to accept the flappers too. Took half a day of careful measuring and drilling. I guess I can understand why the aftermarket tin folks dont bother to cut those holes, with so few folks using the stock t-stat hardware.

Adapting the thermostat flaps are a bit of a hassle with the aftermarket shroud, but I think it's worth it, even on a buggy. I did it on my bus years ago too:

SmogDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

If I am dreaming big, I would say that I would love to get mine running this winter. Southern California winters being what they are, (short, generally) and given that I have been working, on and off, on this project for nearly five years, I would be ecstatic if I had a roller by spring. With the Curt Leduc swap meet coming this weekend, maybe I will find the +1 rear arms that will make that dream a reality. Actually, these pics are a few months old. There has been some progress since these were taken. I have never been much of a build thread guy. But looking around this site has got me thinking. Maybe I should document this thing. At least then I would have dates on the posts, so I could see how long it has been since I made progress. On second thought........................

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

Great winter projects are completed:

1. Added adjusters to the front beam, which included disassembling beam, cleaning, regreasing, etc.

2. Wired in new "working" turn signals

3. Cleaned up wiring

4. Started on a smart phone holder

Next, clean up some old Jakman rims and get bigger tires for front.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

Finished my engine work last weekend. Going to start on fabrication projects now. Winter projects might need some of Spring to get done.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

Building a mild type 4 engine this winter to replace a tired 1600 type 1. Fixing trans oil leaks and wiring issues too. Hope to have it on the road by May.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

SmogDog; I tell myself all the time "you aren't driving this one to work on Monday"...Nice cage work. Look forward to seeing your build and encourage you to start a build thread. Few offroad builds posted here.

oprn; Nice looking car.

Off to the shop. Time to warm up the woodstove and the welder.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What are your winter upgrade plans? Reply with quote

For my buggy, I need to install new zippers in my soft surround. And since the "glass" is pretty scratched, replace the glass too. (43,000 miles on various trips have taken it's toll). On the rear hatch, I need to replace the bottom seal.

That is pretty much it for my buggy. But I do want to complete my B&N Viper buggy and have it ready for sale in May.

In the interim, I have been inventorying my parts and figuring out what will go on which buggies, (wheels, seats, colors, transaxles, steering columns and so forth). I have started a spreadsheet with title numbers for each chassis that will match each buggy and their respective parts for the build. And then selling the left over parts, and I have already sold 2 bodies/chassis, a couple wheel sets and various other parts.

I have 7 total left to build. 1 will be lowered. 1 will be lifted, a lot. 2 Manxs will be more original stylish. 2 will have a 1 inch body lift and be basic buggies. And the Tow'd will be race prepped with 4 wheel coil over and stretched suspension. All will be flaked.

Then I am done.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: