Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300 Super 36
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

looks good Smile
explain the struggle to start. My stroked WW dual carb 8.5-1 CR 6 volt bug starts fine.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
looks good Smile
explain the struggle to start. My stroked WW dual carb 8.5-1 CR 6 volt bug starts fine.
cranks over painfully slow. The bone stock 40hp that I just removed , started no problem. Some one suggested a Optima red top 6v battery. I don`t know if it will fit under the stock battery cover.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

how hard is it to turn over by hand ? and did you check the starter draw with a meter?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Type 3 1500S motors were higher compression 1500's, and the starter for that car was bigger than a standard compression 6v type 3 and different from a standard bug or bus 6v.

part number 311 911 021, .6hp vs .5hp. Seems minor, but use a bug starter on a 1500S high compression dome piston type 3 and you will see the difference
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Type 3 1500S motors were higher compression 1500's, and the starter for that car was bigger than a standard compression 6v type 3 and different from a standard bug or bus 6v.

part number 311 911 021, .6hp vs .5hp. Seems minor, but use a bug starter on a 1500S high compression dome piston type 3 and you will see the difference
I could find a needle in a haystack easier than finding that starter.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

You have replaced the starter motor bushing, right?
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
I can`t remember ever changing the bushing. Battery was changed 3 times since 1998. Maybe time for a new one? Last one was May 2009. Bought from the tractor store. Getting close to 8 years.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
looks good Smile
cranks over painfully slow. The bone stock 40hp that I just removed , started no problem. Some one suggested a Optima red top 6v battery. I don`t know if it will fit under the stock battery cover.

It's a little taller but it does fit.
You have to extend or loosen the stock clamp a little if you want to use the stock battery cover and clamp.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
snowbug wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
looks good Smile

It's a little taller but it does fit.
You have to extend or loosen the stock clamp a little if you want to use the stock battery cover and clamp.
Thanks Everett, Need the stock height with cover to fit under the seat. Maybe the Optima can run on it`s side? or maybe I just need a new lead battery.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
tobiasax wrote:
I can`t remember ever changing the bushing. Battery was changed 3 times since 1998. Maybe time for a new one? Last one was May 2009. Bought from the tractor store. Getting close to 8 years.

Then I suggest replacing it before doing further investments. It's a common mistake to invest in batteries and new starter motors when the root cause is a two dollar bushing. The modern sintered bushings are much better than the brass ones by the way.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

I run my optima on its side. Fitted a new earth lead and +'ve lead to the starter to give enough length and added covers over each terminal.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

Nice looking build! I was thinking of trying those type 3 carbs on my 36er, Any special mods that need to be made on these carbs, or where to start out with jetting them would be helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Nice looking build! I was thinking of trying those type 3 carbs on my 36er, Any special mods that need to be made on these carbs, or where to start out with jetting them would be helpful.
Jetting seems close , maybe a bit rich. Intakes are home made. New Exhaust flanges make the perfect carb mount flange. Got rid of the electric fuel cut offs because they were 12 volt. Home built linkage from type 3 bits. No chance to drive around yet as the roads are too salty.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

Here an update. I had to remove the engine and lower the compression. It was too hard to start and too hard to tune as well. Installed 3mm shims and installed the spacers in the push rods. Got to try it today. Engine pulls hard through the gears . Runs cooler. Not too much top end but It does have stock heads . Best part is it starts now.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

I had to change idle jets from 55 to 50. Now there is some adjustment for the idle screws. Thinking I could go smaller still. 45 looks like the smallest I can buy.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Super 36 Reply with quote

Did some more tuning. Mains are 150 and air bleeds are now 130. Feels like the mains could go to 155 or 160 . It now has some hp on the big hyway. Had it doing 75mph. Also changed to old bus distributor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: