Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

Is anyone using one of these Tri-Mil 2-tip mufflers on a pre-'72 Ghia with the stock towel bar bumpers?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are the tips long enough to keep the rear bumper from getting discolored by the exhaust? Are they about the same length as the stock peashooters?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

i'm using one (ceramic coated) on my 72 Ghia convert, no problem so far.
Is a little laud for my taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

This is a ceramic-coated Tri-Mil on my '64 (on '70 pan). Sturdy and well-built unit that was easy to install. Rear openings of pipes are just about even with the end of the bumpers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Exhaust soot would be mostly influenced by your carb mixture (rich). My engine has dual-throat dual carbs. I had this muffler on the car about 3 years, about 2000 miles total. Did not notice any soot or minor discoloration on the underside of the bumper blade. Didn't drive it at all in 2015. When I next drove it in early 2016, I no longer liked the tinny, "immature" exhaust sound. I replaced the Tri-Mil with an older, reconditioned Berg header and single quiet muffler. Sounds much richer and "refined", and actually also quieter.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Exhaust soot would be mostly influenced by your carb mixture (rich).
I was more concerned with that bluish 'haze' that forms on the chrome if the exhaust outlet is too close. Sounds like it's not an issue with the Tri-Mil.

Rome wrote:
I replaced the Tri-Mil with an older, reconditioned Berg header and single quiet muffler. Sounds much richer and "refined", and actually also quieter.
Thanks for your feedback. Did you notice any difference in engine power after you swapped the exhaust? AC.net says they flow the same as an extractor with a single quiet-pack up to around 90HP. I would've never thought so, but John's advice is usually spot on. I like Berg extractors and have used them before, but the one especially designed for Ghias is no longer being offered. Standard ones work fine but hang really low on a Ghia.

One big concern with using the Tri-Mil is with it being too loud. I've seen the videos on the AC.net site, but it's hard to really tell just how loud those things are from a video. Someone told me that the Tri-Mil is about as loud as a stock muffler without the peashooters attached. I can see how that might get kinda old after a while.

BTW...nice looking car there, Rome.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

Thanks, r. Some quick rust repair work in the rockers done using Photoshop Embarassed .

As to the performance, I did not notice a difference between the TriMil and the Berg header; based on seat of the pants feel. Never had a dyno run to compare- it would not be worth it with the near-stock 1600.

My Berg header and muffler go back about 15 years. Back then I elongated the holes in the header slightly to rotate the Berg muffler that it is horizontal, or tilted ever so slightly upwards. When new I had the header aluminized at a company in Hartford CT. The coating gradually deteriorated, causing rust pockmarks and the coating flaking off. So when I prepped the header last year for reinstallation, I used strips of emery cloth to laboriously sand off the rust, wiped off the pipe, then sprayed it with rust converter. Finally I painted the header with header spray paint. Did same with muffler which was not aluminized, but not rusted badly. It's held up well after this past year, though I probably drove less than 300 miles total Sad .

Before reconditioning the Berg system, I scrounged up a regular generic header to try out on the Ghia. Yes, the lower pipes and the muffler flange simply hung too low. That would unfortunately also be a problem if fitting dual quiet mufflers to the Ghia; just looks like too much "junk" hanging down under the apron.

Even if you did get some minor discoloration under the stock bumpers from the Tri-Mil, it would be quickly removed with chrome polish at the end of the driving season. There was no discoloration on the TriMil pipes either.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tri-Mil 2-tip muffler...will exhaust discolor rear bumper? Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW...nice looking car there, Rome

X2.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: