Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pedal assembly question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Okay, I have searched Progressive Refinements, and the JT Garwood "Car of the Century" book, and couldn't find what I wanted to know...when did the pedal assembly quit using the little bracket that bolts to the floorpan, that helps hold the clutch pedal shaft stationary?

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

58 gets new pedal assembly that doesnt bolt to pan, also roller pedal gone.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I needed to know...I guess the clutch pedal shaft is a bit longer, to accommodate the little bracket, and the pedal assembly I just re-did, with a new pedal shaft, isn't long enough to reach through the bracket..

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

I am in the process of rebuilding a few pedal assemblies, with a grade 8 bolt on the arm where the hook used to be. It will be like the ones pedalwerks makes, but they only have them for '58 and later Beetles. I am re-bushing them when necessary, blasting and painting all the parts, and using the old pedal shafts with the new bolt welded on by a certified welder. If anyone has any interest in these, please private message me. I don't know the cost just yet, but it does take a while to get them apart, clean them paint them, re-bush them (again, if necessary) and re-assemble them...

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Thanks, that's what I needed to know...I guess the clutch pedal shaft is a bit longer, to accommodate the little bracket, and the pedal assembly I just re-did, with a new pedal shaft, isn't long enough to reach through the bracket..

There is more to the longer clutch pedal shaft than the floor pan bracket. It is also longer to line up with the clutch cable tube which is further toward the center of the tunnel than later chassis.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

yeah, I see the snout sticks a LOT further into the tunnel, than the 58 and later pedal assemblies..trying to find some brass bushing material that I can make the smaller, clutch shaft bushings, as I understand, the bigger, brake shafts ones rarely go bad...but all the pedal assemblies I have disassembled, the smaller one, at the pedal end of the clutch shaft, is either worn beyond hope, or non-existent...and the new ones you buy, the OD is so big that if you press one in, it compresses, and the clutch shaft no longer fits in.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

You try the WW bushes, they make them now?
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Jason, I ordered these that I have from the Samba Classifieds...I don't know if they are Wolfsburg West or not...but I see they only give you ONE of the smaller bushings..I am not sure whether VW put a small bushing on the pedal end of the shaft (both pedal assemblies I have apart don't have one there) and there is one on the clutch hook end, but if they didn't put one on the pedal end, it sure needs one, especially if you are running a big clutch, as I am..I THINK I have found some 19mm OD, 1mm wall, brass tubing I could use as a bushing material, and just drill into it to provide an avenue for the grease to travel, waiting for the company to get back to me, if I have to buy a minimum of 10 feet or something, then of course, that is out of the question..if the OD of the tubing is too small, I can drill and tap the brake pedal sleeve, and use an allen set screw to hold it in place..

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

An adjustable reamer would solve your problem.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
An adjustable reamer would solve your problem.

Yes, it would, and I think it is just what I am going to have to invest in...trying to be as "Frugal" (spelled CHEAP) as I can, but I guess the next time I need to re-do some king and link pins, I'll be set.. Cool looking for an adjustable reamer that might be able to do both the smaller, clutch shaft bushings, and the larger, brake pedal shaft bushings..so far, no luck, and I don't have 200-300 to spend on a whole set of reamers...

Last edited by Dave on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

I see 2 parts attached to the floor, the clutch shaft hanger and the brake pedal travel stop. Are they stacked so the same two bolts are holding both onto the floor? Also, the stop is listed as a brake pedal stop. What stops the clutch pedal from returning to far when released?
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

the clutch pedal bracket, which also acts as a stop, is offset, so that it stacks on top of the brake pedal stop, and uses the same 2 floorpan mounted bolts. I found some 19mm OD, 1MM wall, brass tubing, that I think I can use as a bushing for the clutch pedal shaft, I'll probably know tomorrow when I call them, and since t is an industrial outlet, they may want me to buy in bulk..and 50 feet of this stuff I don't need...I'll attack the brake shaft bushings next...

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Okay, here's a bit of an update- I spoke with the owner of Wolfsburg West, Tony Moore, and asked why the pedal end of the clutch pedal shaft only had one bushing..he said they came that way from the factory, and the floorpan mounted bracket is what holds the pedal end of the shaft stationary.. I am going to be making new clutch pedal shafts for the '57 and earlier pedal assemblies, since they seem to only be available NOS for ridiculous prices..I will be modifying them from the hook style to the grade 8 bolts that will still slip over the cable clevis, and should be able to take a lot more wear and abuse.
I have the high-strength steel bar on order, and already have the grade 8 shoulder bolts...

dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Can you make the shaft longer (to move the clutch pedal away from the brake pedal) like those other guys do to the 58 and up?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
Can you make the shaft longer (to move the clutch pedal away from the brake pedal) like those other guys do to the 58 and up?

There is that pair of brackets that are bolted to the floor pan . . . One bracket is the stop for the brake pedal . . . the other bracket does double-duty as the stop for the clutch pedal and also the support for the clutch shaft.
Extending the clutch shaft would entail moving the one bracket . . . done by something like drilling two more bolt holes, then fabricating and welding another reinforcing/nut plate to the underside of the floor pan.
I've included some photos of my, basically stock, pedal set-up to show you the situation and what would be involved in moving the clutch pedal . . . NOT a simple bolt-in deal like the later pedal assemblies!

Here is my '56 chassis that I replaced the pans . . . I needed to reuse the reinforcing/nut plate from my old pan . . . seen on the left side of this pic . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what the bracket "sandwich" looks like from the top . . . the brake pedal stop plate is on the bottom and very hard to see in the photo.
Notice that I turned-down the diameter of the end of the clutch shaft so I was able to fit the "Oilite" bushing into the bracket to better support the clutch shaft . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Nice work on that oilite bushing! The problem with using the stock bracket alone is that the support area is small, and the bracket will wear a groove into the clutch shaft. My approach was to buy 2 of the WW bushing kits, so that I could install a 2nd clutch shaft bushing. I packed the cells in the WW bushings with a homebrew mixture of graphite powder and high pressure grease.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Yes I see 57 BLITZ, thanks for the reply. This is my first Oval so I'm learning...
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Thanks Zwitterkafer!
You're welcome dsrtfox . . . BTW, still waiting to see pics of yer beautiful baby blue Bug now that ya got the Americans on it! Wink

Dave . . . FWIW, I replaced all the bushing in my pedal assembly with "Oilite" bushings that I purchased from McMaster-Carr . . . and yes, I needed to use an adjustable reamer to fit everything back together.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

Thanks, 57 Blitz !!! I really like the idea of turning down the clutch shaft so you can fit a bushing on the pedal stop/bracket.. do you remember how much you took off the end of the shaft, and the part # of the bushing? I thought about trying to use a second bushing inside the brake shaft tube, but was worried that having three separate places of friction wouldn't be such a good idea...I am liking your solution..
Smile Very Happy

Last edited by Dave on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal assembly question Reply with quote

I'm thinking the bracket was overkill. Why else would it have been removed later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: