Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Star Adjusters
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Star Adjusters Reply with quote

Can anyone ID the location or year of these? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter but....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Star Adjusters Reply with quote

Mine had one long and one short (both solid brass) per backing plate.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Star Adjusters Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
Mine had one long and one short (both solid brass) per backing plate.

The more I think about it I think it was one tall and one medium (third from left in photo) I don't recall which was leading shoe and which was trailing.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Adjusters Reply with quote

From Progressive Refinements: Feb '56: Brake shoe adjusting nut shortened from 29.5 mm to 21.0 mm.

Newer replacements are far shorter. Without periodic maintenance, perhaps the longer ones were more prone to sticking and/or difficult adjustments.

I doubt that different lengths were supplied on the same car. More likely is that some of the long ones were replaced over the years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: