Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

That's a beautiful car. Thanks for the help on the ignition. Gonna tackle that soon. And great pics to go along with the instructions. Going to be invaluable.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
That's a beautiful car. Thanks for the help on the ignition. Gonna tackle that soon. And great pics to go along with the instructions. Going to be invaluable.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Since my last post, I've been busy with work and doing some work on the Square as well. On my way home from the Custer show, the car was having issues getting home. Experienced no power and a vacuum leak. I checked the cables to see if there was spark coming from them. #1 fired but not #2. I further searched and searched for that leak and came across burn marks on the manifold on the 1/2 side. I pulled the air cleaner to get a better look. still I could get a good visual of what was going on. I put a wrench on the bolt and that's when the carb moved. I removed the carb and found the manifold was cracked at the base of the bolt hole.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled it off and replaced it. Needed to get back at the timing, I decided to hold on this until I could get another set of plug cables and returned from my parents visit in CA. On my return, I got the necessary parts needed with ISPW and proceeded to replace my cables. Got #2 back so I wanted to get the timing done. Timed the engine and took it for a spin and it sputters. I'm taking a break on it as I was frustrated with it.
I decided to tackle a couple different side projects. I got two cylinder jugs to make a pair of cup holders. Picked up some chrome hardware and used some pinch welt to create a custom cup holder for each side of the tunnel. I'm happy with the turnout.

Next up was the spare tire well. Since my car sits low, the well, if put in place would drag. I ended up cutting the well and making a blank of it. Once the welding and grinding was done, it was primed and undercoating applied. Once color matched it will be installed.

I'm looking at getting the timing sorted out this week and hopefully I can get a couple of miles on it then work on another side project.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Very cool cup holders. They look so much more sophisticated compared to my stainless steel cup and hook design that I have in my Notch. Very Happy But then I built that cup holder for 1 specific cup (my very large traveling coffee cup).

That manifold break is a little strange though, as I haven't seen that before (at least on a VW).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

I think it's coming along pretty good.It looks much better than it did when I removed it.

Waiting for the tins to complete the remaining. I had a little trouble getting the small tin pieces out from the shroud you see attached so I didn't want to put the fan and pulley back on in case I need to remove and put those small pieces back in before putting it back together.

Hey Mont3. Is that an Engine Stand from Harbor Freight? And where did you get the adapter to the crank case thing? I'm looking to get a set-up similar as yours. When I pull out my engine to rebuild it, I want to be able to do a test run before it get thrown back into the square.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Really cool cupholders. Nice work!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremydoc wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

I think it's coming along pretty good.It looks much better than it did when I removed it.

Waiting for the tins to complete the remaining. I had a little trouble getting the small tin pieces out from the shroud you see attached so I didn't want to put the fan and pulley back on in case I need to remove and put those small pieces back in before putting it back together.

Hey Mont3. Is that an Engine Stand from Harbor Freight? And where did you get the adapter to the crank case thing? I'm looking to get a set-up similar as yours. When I pull out my engine to rebuild it, I want to be able to do a test run before it get thrown back into the square.

HI jeremydoc, the engine stand is indeed a HF stand. What I did was to search out a bus bell housing for a bus so I could attach the engine to it. I've since made a mod to the mounting plate of the engine stand. I traced the outline of that side of the bell housing, got some 1/4 plate and had it cut n the shape of the housing. Picked up some pipe and had a new mounting plate built specific for the bell housing. As for running an engine on this setup, I would not recommend it. There is movement for tilting the engine even when the pin is in place so the engine tilts a little.

My new mounting plate just got another mod to it just recently. I'm in the process of building a run stand console for the gauge cluster and buttons. What I intend on doing when I want to run my engine is to remove it off the stand an onto a motorcycle stand, attach and lock in the arm, wire the motor and run it. My buddy has this type of set up and it was quick and easy. When done with testing you just remove the arm, remove the bell housing drop the engine down to slide under the car and lift it in place to install. I'll try to post a pic or two of my bracket I'm talking about in the AM. Hope this info helps.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Really cool cupholders. Nice work!

Thanks Joey1320!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Over the past few weeks I had been working on getting my motor dialed in as I was experiencing issues with the car running sluggish, fuel dumps in the carbs and over being unresponsive when trying to accelerate. I performed the following after extensive discussions with a buddy on it.
Carb Rebuild - I found out one of the throttle adjustment rods was damaged and or worn after I had put in place and was tuning it. The wobble was too much for my liking so I pulled the carb and swapped it out. On top of that, the air mix screw when backed out had no effect on the engine idle as from my understanding the should be a slight change in the idling when setting the mix. I was glad I swapped that piece out as the replacement performed as expected. At the end of this project, everything on both carbs were checked and tested and even got a set of working chokes on them. I'll need to make a more permanent wire set up for them as I'm using white wire for the chokes at the moment.
Fuel Pressure - This was interesting. After running the car for a bit and shutting it down, my fuel lines going to the carbs were hard and once again, I could hear fuel being dumped into the carb and manifold. With my buddies recommendation, the 4.5lbs of pressure was reduced to 2lbs by carefully measuring the fuel pump rod and grinding off a fraction of an inch. This left me with a rod processing 2lbs of pressure, still feeding my carbs and eliminating the fuel dumps.
Timing - This still proved to be a challenge to me as I had very dirty plugs, a bad plug wire and the distro shaft not set. After going thru each item and swapping them out to eliminate my tach jumps and sluggish performance, new wires, new plugs and a replacement 009 distro were put in place. The car runs and idles so much better. I'd like to place my 67 distro back in with and see if there is a difference as I haven't made that swap with all the new pieces in. I do need to time and sync the carbs once again. I'm very happy with my partial tuning even though I'm not done with it.

On a side project, My buddy and I have been discussing putting together an 1835 for this square. I've also been putting together my version of a run stand to do engine work while it's out of the car. I have gauges for it as well as a starter. Need to get the switches and gauges in and complete the wiring on it.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

FWIW, I made it so my motor stand just does run-in duty..

Nice to not have to switch out,
You can move right in and out of other operations,
Takes up less room,
Etc.

If you are scared of it tipping over, just push it into the grass first.
Also nice if it leaks.. Embarassed

That stand was made for an iron V8, to no need to worry about strength, right?

IMHO, it's really nice to cool down, strip tins for a head and rocker re-torque, valve adjustment, etc.. Then just fire off again.

Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
FWIW, I made it so my motor stand just does run-in duty..

Nice to not have to switch out,
You can move right in and out of other operations,
Takes up less room,
Etc.

If you are scared of it tipping over, just push it into the grass first.
Also nice if it leaks.. Embarassed

That stand was made for an iron V8, to no need to worry about strength, right?

IMHO, it's really nice to cool down, strip tins for a head and rocker re-torque, valve adjustment, etc.. Then just fire off again.

Wink

Nice and compact setup Clatter. When works done on the motor and transferred over to the motorcycle stand to be mated up to the tranny, I can drop my console arm/stand in place, wire it up and run it from there. If all’s good, pull the whole thing at the bell housing after removing the wiring and slip the motor into place after cooling down.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

The weather has been uncooperative up here. I've been working on my trailer bit the weather caught me and I was unable to primer seal the exposed metal on m the shell top. With minimal space to work in the garage as the trailer is in the way, I began to work on my prototype radio bracket for my Sapphire VIII. I've made my bends. Need to remove the parcel tray to get dimensions and idea on mounting my bracket.

Have some other items ordered to close the loop on my aux lighting. Should be fun. I also learned how to braze aluminum for another upcoming project!

Happy New Year Everyone!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Have been busy with work and other matters so I had to take a break from moving forward with my radio project. Here are a few pics from last week. The remainder of the week is going to be spent getting this radio wired in. I welded my brackets onto the my parcel tray and mounted the faceplate...

Radio installed...

Parcel tray back in it's place. I made some small brackets to mount my speakers. Their location had to be moved from where they show in the pic as my left foot would hit the speaker when working the clutch pedal. These speakers are more outward now and don't impede my footwork on the pedals. I thought the radio would be in the way some but its clear of my leg as well...

The speaker covers got cleaned up and sprayed with a new coat of SEM black and the trim was hit with some Chrome paint. I did a little touch up on it and am happy with them. Installing the speakers and will be working n getting them mounted later today. More to follow.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Radio installed...

Nice work. Do you have any good cassettes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

OOoo! 8-Track!

Three Dog Night's Golden Busquits for only $5.95 or make offer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Dog-Night-Golden-Bis...SwImRYUxDZ

What’s That Noise?!?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Nice tidy job on mounting the player. I still have a Ventures 8-track kicking around here somewhere… I remember popping it in and rocking out to Classical Gas in our old Plymouth Fury wagon.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

HAHAA! I have some old tapes I've collected and interestingly enough I have one of the Ventures. What's holding me up is the wiring. Looking thru service manuals for a diagram on the wiring isn't paying off so I'm at a standstill on it. Moved onto another side project and hope to have it halfway completed today.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I took some time off to head to my parents place in CA as my fathers health is failing. lots going on there and I've realized my presence is greatly needed. Before departing, I had started the rear cargo cover project based on posted pics. I tailored the cover to my liking and what I felt was functional for me. My buddy had called me before this weekend and let me know the 2017 Counts of the Cobblestone Car Show was this weekend. I wasn't prepared for the show but was encouraged to register the car. I had so much going on with my parents and the radio install as well as the cargo cover. I sacrificed some sleep and got the radio installed and running. nice unit indeed. The tape played for about 15 seconds before the tape band jumped the wheel so I have to get that sorted out. The cargo cover is nearly completed but was at a stopping point with it so I ran with what I had.
The day to 'load' the car to the arena I learned I was going into the area full of US muscle. Here was one VW amongst a sea of US muscle. I stood out and attracted alot of attention. I felt the car could hold it's own. Next the cars left were project from the local HotRod Institute, to the right were some really cool old school cars and all around alot of cars with big nuts. So there I was I Holding my own. I had to work the night of the awards but the custom is to place the awards next to the car the evening of being judged. Here's where I stood with it...

This unit was a hit. An educational piece as a lot of folks haven't seen one in a long time. Especially the younger folks couldn't grasp the concept of an AC unit attached like it was on a car. LOL!

Thank you Pedro for the look of what I call one badass sled...

The car took 1st place for Classic Custom Import and Outstanding Import trophy... Not bad for sacrificing my sleep to get the car ready after over a month of collecting dust and scrambling to complete projects. I love this car and so does my son which for the mentioned he was proud of my accomplishment.

Now to get the 8track band back on where it needs to be, finish my cargo cover and move onto completing my trailer. The car was invited to other shows throughout the summer which I'm planning attendance before heading to CA for good to help my sister taking care of my parents. I guess this summer will be my Midwest summer tour before it goes into storage prior to being moved.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Mont, the car is beautiful Congradulations on the win! I think it's awesome you are moving back home to take care of your father.
I know it won't be long before I'm facing that same decision. You mention your son being prowed of you and what you have accomplished with your square. My sone keeps telling meet to injoy my trophies now because when he is done with his car I won't stand a chance. They will be the next generation that will keep this VW hobby alive!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Hey Monte, congrats on the show, a well deserved win for sure. I imagine it would attract a lot of attention, as in addition to being a top quality build, most would not know what it was or would have forgotten that VW made a “station wagon”.

Sorry to hear about your dad’s health issues. I know what that’s like, and I know it’s not easy and requires a fair bit of strength to be there for them. I’m sure they are grateful for all the support.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 68 of 75

Jump to: