Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

How can I verify what my R&P ratio is when the motor and transmission are still in the car? I had my stock '63 swing axle trans rebuilt with a 4:12:1 R&P and I just want to be sure of what's actually in there.

A search turned up methods such as jacking up the car, turning the engine over 10 revolutions by hand, and then counting tire rotations to figure the ratio. What gear should it be in when doing this? Can anyone clarify this method and give me some examples of how many times the tires should rotate when the motor turns 10 revolutions (in which gear) for the different R&P ratios?

Another post suggested putting the trans in 2nd gear and see how many motor revolutions it takes to turn the tires one complete rotation. It goes on to say that 8 turns indicate a 3.88:1 R&P, 8 1/2 turns is a 4:12:1 ratio and 9 turns is a 4.38:1. When I tried this, I got a full tire rotation with less than 6 revolutions of the motor, so something's not right here.

Does anyone have a reliable, easily-explainable method for checking the R&P ratio? All gear ratios are stock for a '63 swing axle trans: First 3.80:1, Second 2.06:1, Third 1.32:1 and Fourth 0.89:1.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Another post suggested putting the trans in 2nd gear and see how many motor revolutions it takes to turn the tires one complete rotation. It goes on to say that 8 turns indicate a 3.88:1 R&P, 8 1/2 turns is a 4:12:1 ratio and 9 turns is a 4.38:1. When I tried this, I got a full tire rotation with less than 6 revolutions of the motor, so something's not right here.

It indicates your wheel's brake was dragging.
Another way to do this is jack one rear wheel off the ground and repeat the test in 2nd gear. Except this time, count the number of engine revs needed to generate two full turns of the tire in the air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Thanks for the input, but if a brake were dragging, wouldn't it require more motor revolutions for one complete rotation of the tire I marked, not fewer? Instead of 8 or 9, my tire made a full rotation with only 6 revs.

Bruce wrote:
Another way to do this is jack one rear wheel off the ground and repeat the test in 2nd gear. Except this time, count the number of engine revs needed to generate two full turns of the tire in the air.

OK Bruce, I'll give this a try and make sure that the brakes are completely backed off. Will it be the same number of motor revs for two tire rotations now...8 1/2 for a 4.12 & 9 for a 4.38?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Thanks for the input, but if a brake were dragging, wouldn't it require more motor revolutions for one complete rotation of the tire I marked, not fewer? Instead of 8 or 9, my tire made a full rotation with only 6 revs.

You weren't watching the other wheel, were you? The wheel you were watching had the dragging brake. While the brake stopped that wheel, the other one was turning twice as fast. Until the first wheel started turning again.

rcooled wrote:
Bruce wrote:

OK Bruce, I'll give this a try and make sure that the brakes are completely backed off. Will it be the same number of motor revs for two tire rotations now...8 1/2 for a 4.12 & 9 for a 4.38?
Yes. Don't touch the brakes. The dragging brake won't stop the one wheel in the air this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

For all Bugs with a tunnel type transaxle ('61 up) jack 1 rear wheel up off the ground turn the crank pulley until the timing mark of your choice is strait up. Mark the tire that is off the ground so you know where strait up is on it. Chock the car, put it in second gear, and release the e-brake. Turn the engine until the mark on the tire goes one full turn. If the crank is right back at the timing mark it is a 3.88 R&P, if it is 1/4 turn past the timing mark it is a 4.12 R&P, and if it is 1/2 turn past the timing mark it is a 4.37 R&P.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
...jack one rear wheel off the ground and repeat the test in 2nd gear. Except this time, count the number of engine revs needed to generate two full turns of the tire in the air.

EVfun wrote:
Turn the engine until the mark on the tire goes one full turn. If the crank is right back at the timing mark it is a 3.88 R&P, if it is 1/4 turn past the timing mark it is a 4.12 R&P, and if it is 1/2 turn past the timing mark it is a 4.37 R&P.

Thanks guys! Checked twice using the two methods you suggested and verified that the R&P is indeed a 4.12, which is exactly what it's supposed to be.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

For someone who searches in the future... hopefully.

Another method.. ..easy to do while changing the fluid..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
You can just count the ring gear teeth through the rear trasnaxle drain plug..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
To help identify 1961 and newer tunnel transaxle ring and pinion ratios, the ring gear teeth can be counted through the rear transaxle drain plug hole...

35 teeth = 4.38
33 teeth = 4.13
31 teeth = 3.88

Wear safety glasses while counting.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

35 teeth = 4.38
33 teeth = 4.13
31 teeth = 3.88

Yeah, I found this post when I searched. One question: How do you mark a tooth so that you know where the count starts? Not easy when everything's covered in gear oil...
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

35 teeth = 4.38
33 teeth = 4.13
31 teeth = 3.88

Yeah, I found this post when I searched. One question: How do you mark a tooth so that you know where the count starts? Not easy when everything's covered in gear oil...

Its very easy.. Confused
Too easy as a matter of fact.
Drain the transaxle.. by removing the rear drain plug,
Allow to drip. (Jacking up the rear after being drained level helps stop or slow the drips.)
Spray carb or brake cleaner directly in the drain hole at the teeth, let dry.. Mark a single tooth with a grease pencil or paint pen. .. or make a small indention mark with a punch..
Roll and count..

Just dont forget IF you counted the marked tooth first or last..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

It is an excellent method Volkswagnut, but I think mine is a lot easier -- you don't have to drain and replace the gear oil, crawl under the car, or even use a jack stand. It's method is simple math, since 2nd gear is always 2.06:1, and if one side of a differential is held still the other side turns twice as fast. If you suspect you may have an aftermarket 3.44 Ring and Pinion you need to count the crank turns because it will be 3.5 turns to 1 turn of the wheel.

Turns, divided by the gear ratios between the engine and axle, time 2 for the differential turning only one wheel, will equal 1 turn at the wheel.

3.875 R&P if: 4 / 2.06 / 3.875 * 2 = 1
4.124 R&P if: 4.25 / 2.06 / 4.125 * 2 = 1
4.375 R&P if: 4.5 / 2.06 / 4.375 * 2 = 1
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
It is an excellent method Volkswagnut, but I think mine is a lot easier --

I agree...
I never posted the tooth count method as being the easiest or the only way... but it is accurate and yet just one more method that could be used
It was merely added information to this topic in the slim hopes and chance someone in the future searches the forums and adds to an existing similar topic before starting a new one. .
Its nice to have good information in one spot..

If you 100% know the gear ratios of a particular gear..the math is pretty easy to figure crank rotation to wheel rotation.

One persons easy can be anothers difficult or vice-versa. Wink .

Usually and often edited
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

And someone did just 'discover' this thread (in 2017) to benefit from the knowledge contained in it! It's good to know all these techniques for determining final drive gear-ratio! Thanks for that prescient sharing of information!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Checking R&P ratio with transmission in the car Reply with quote

You guys are GREAT ! .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: