Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

window scrapers
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: window scrapers Reply with quote

What are people doing for window scrapers? Is there a way to put new felt on the old ones?
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: window scraper Reply with quote

good edea,,if you can glue new felt on the original chrome molding,, but on my car, only the outside felt was finish and make glass ratle, if you look your felt,, the 2 inner felt are good,, take the inner felt with the chrome molding on the right side door for to put on the outside lefgth side door,,they are the same,,this is one edea,,cheer,,bb412
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to seeing an actual rubber piece that seals the window on cars. Did the 412/411 have a rubber seal or was it just a felt seal?
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: window scraper Reply with quote

i have see only the felt on the vw beefore 74,,,the rubber start with the rabitt or golf,, afther 75,, but i thing if you can buy the felt kit for the alluminium door for your home and glue that on the vw molding ,,but if you can use a rubber strip it can bee betther,,
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Rear vent water leak Reply with quote

I am having a problem with water leaking to the inside from the side vents.
I had removed some of the foam in the rear side vent so I am not sure if that is the issue. Any help would be apprciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: window scrapers Reply with quote

If you pop out one of those little plastic vsnts....you will notice that they have a seal under the outer chrome trim.

The way they worked when the seals were fresh/new........is that the little bucket dhaped vents had to be pressed in from the outside...fairly hard.. .until the little detents cli ked into place. This compressed the seals and kept the whole thing tight and leak free.

With age they shrink up and leak.

You can do two things that I know of.
1. Run a clean bead of black silicone under the chrome trime and wipe clran and smooth

2. Look in mcmaster carr.....search for foam cord. Tue knly two that fit the bill and are super soft and flexible....are EPDM.....best foam rubber for outdoor....its what your windshield gaskets are made of......or Santoprene. Next best.

They only come in 1/8" smallest cross section. At one time I sealed some of these up with 3/32" cord stock but that was many years ago and I bought jt at a local rubber supply in Dallas.

Carefully stick it down around the perimeter with black weatherstrip glue. Cut to exact length and jlin like an oring. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: