Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56' Build - Melinda
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

I'm hoping it's just the picture, but you may want to measure this if you haven't already. In the picture below it appears your front frame head is bent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Yeah, it is just the way I took the picture. Thanks for looking out for me. I have measured everything on the front and back, all is well.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Great! I about had a heart attack for you.

glad all is well...damn pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Wow incredible attention to detail and beautiful work on the paint. Me likey Wink
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

That paint came out awesome. Did you use basecoat/clear or is that single single stage? Thx
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Thanks, I used a urethane sealer, then a base of deltron ppg, and then deltron dcu 2021 urethane clear coat. For a first time painting a car I was amazed. The gun i was using is a devilbiss tekna prolite. I figured if i am doing this myself, i might as well have a good gun. Trust me you will not be disappointed, it is a very forgiving gun to shoot with. I only have just a small section of my hood that i will need to wet sand some orange peel, the rest of the car is basically ready to do a final buff.

Last edited by twokegger on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Also, look what Santa dropped by.... Wink

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Great build, I will be following this one.
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Small update. Finally got around to putting in the brake lights. The Led's are amazing. Pictures do not do them justice.

twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Another small update. Started putting the weather stripping C channel on for the hood. I took all of it off because it had cancer. I thought it would be a nice touch to have it in black, and rivet it on. It should help with moisture because its painted on the back side now too.

FYI forming this is a pretty big pain, just take your time.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Should look good. Did you think about using the the weather stripping that mounts to the hood instead?

Also, your gas tank is in backwards...you may know that and want it that way, but just letting you know in case
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

I was waiting for someone to say that. Just testing you guys. I think I might keep the tank that way so that I can stay on the drivers side. I just put it in there to make the first voyage down the road.

For the Mexican seal, I just do not like the look of them when the hood is open, also I think that the seal is larger and kind of pushes the hood up making a larger "seam".

Thanks for the spot though. Cool
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Had some time this weekend to do a little bit of work on her. I put the front windshield in, that was not fun to say the least. 30 minutes of high stress Shocked .

Also I started on putting the padding in for the headliner that is coming tomorrow. I got the TMI mohair, hopefully it will look good.

updates soon to follow. I am trying to get the car in driving condition to make it to Bugapalooza this year, I hope I can make it, one month from now. The interior will not be complete, but the outside should be fairly close.

One question for yall, I was thinking of blacking out the bumpers with a high gloss black. I want to just go with the euro blade, I think it looks clean that way. Let me know what you think?

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Looking great! I would stick with chrome bumpers since all of your trim is chrome/polished.

Another option, that would be slick, especially with your rims would be to go black on the bumpers and install chrome euro overriders.

At a minimum use chrome/polished hardware to give it that slight offset
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Yeah, I have chrome bumpers but they are not in the greatest of shape. That's why I was asking to see what everyone thought of painting them black. Decisions, decisions... Surprised

anyone Photoshop a black blade no overriders onto the front pic? Cool
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

check out that hood emblem Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

It was a bit expensive, but when i saw it online i had to have it. My favorite Saint Cool .

Well folks, headliners are no joke. They are a big pain to install. I tried and tried to put the one piece oval window in and finally gave up and put the extra piece in. I have it looking pretty good and most of the wrinkles are out.

If you are doing this yourself be patient, you will want to throw things Evil or Very Mad

twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Glad to get the headliner done woohoo!

coxbzh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

it's really magnificient! congratulations.

What do you use to stick the fabric?
twokegger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 56' Build - Melinda Reply with quote

Thanks! I used 3M 90 adhesive. Works really well and you have a pretty good amount of time to work the peices of fabric. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: