Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering shaft universal joint ideas?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
AND..
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Yep... That's 100% true...
To use a stock bearing at the lower tube requires a spring or lock to keep it all seated properly.
There are after market self supporting bearings available.
I personally use a bushing inside the tube and a collar shaft lock when needed.

Just note...if the shaft and box are out of line and fixed length shafts are used even with U joints the main steering shaft needs to be secured from in and out travel as well.
Using a flex or sliding secondary lower shaft helps the issue but the main shaft still needs to locked from in and out potential.

Just noting not arguing...

Way more than one way to configure steering.

I found a section of pipe with the same I.D. and O.D. as the spring that bearing uses at the top of the steering column. I got a 2 piece shaft collar that would clamp to the steering shaft to act as a stop. I put the bearing in each end of the stock '62-'67 steering column. I put the turn signal switch and steering wheel on the column and put the steering wheel on the ground on a packing blanket. I put a couple popsicle stick between the steering wheel and turn signal switch. I pushed down on the steering column to pinch the popsicle sticks in place and then slid the pipe section and shaft collar over the end of the stock steering shaft and then tightened the collar. I slip out the popsicle stick after tightening the collar and I have an instant self contained sheering column with bearings at both ends.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Just note...if the shaft and box are out of line and fixed length shafts are used even with U joints the main steering shaft needs to be secured from in and out travel as well.

How 'bout this set-up? Ya gotta love urethane steering couplers to appreciate it! Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

How 'bout this set-up? Ya gotta love urethane steering couplers to appreciate it! Razz

Well....they might work.... for a little while... Laughing
But.. Think even so.. I bet it feels like driving with a pool noodle..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

CRINGE!!!!! Shocked
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

That'll last all the way to the scene of the crash. Rolling Eyes (with apologies to comedian Ron White)
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

Maybe it's a "safety" feature - Break-Away column??? Shocked Very Happy
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

It's twice as "safe" as a normal column! Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Maybe it's a "safety" feature - Break-Away column??? Shocked Very Happy

At 75mph on a curve... Confused
Jeff
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

surprisingly, despite the lack of proper engineering and attention to detail underneath, the outside of the car looks pretty nice . . . http://www.luxmotorcars.com/1965-Devin-D/Used-ClassicCar/Sacramento-CA/8559361/Details.aspx
For the amount of money that the Devin is being consigned for however, I would be tempted to settle for the low-mileage Porsche 911 turbo and use the extra $20,000 I'd be saving to build my Fiberfab Clodhopper!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
surprisingly, despite the lack of proper engineering and attention to detail underneath, the outside of the car looks pretty nice . . . http://www.luxmotorcars.com/1965-Devin-D/Used-ClassicCar/Sacramento-CA/8559361/Details.aspx
For the amount of money that the Devin is being consigned for however, I would be tempted to settle for the low-mileage Porsche 911 turbo and use the extra $20,000 I'd be saving to build my Fiberfab Clodhopper!

Let me know when you find a good running 911 Turbo for $50K Very Happy

brad
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft universal joint ideas? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Let me know when you find a good running 911 Turbo for $50K Very Happy

brad

The same place selling the Devin has a matching pair of 911 Turbos . . . one for you and one for me! Laughing
http://www.luxmotorcars.com/2001-Porsche-911/Used-Car/Sacramento-CA/8184890/Details.aspx
http://www.luxmotorcars.com/2002-Porsche-911/Used-Car/Sacramento-CA/8448848/Details.aspx

I still think that $69,900 is a lot of money for a kit car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: