Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heaters
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARK8247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Heaters Reply with quote

Hey guys.
I have a 1971 Super beetle and I am trying to get my heating system set up. I am looking for the heater channel vents and a guy gave me some which he said should fit (but they don't) . The flaps are opened and closed by a cable-lever system similar to the tunnel defrost control. Supposedly, the cable is supposed to run along the channel and up the A pillar where the lever is secured. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this...? Is this even the right vents or is it the ones where the flap is controlled by the lever actually on the vent? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I don't have pics. Ill try to get some.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

Read. Learn.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

MARK8247 wrote:
I have a 1971 Super beetle and I am trying to get my heating system set up. I am looking for the heater channel vents and a guy gave me some which he said should fit (but they don't) ...
You need these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe did sort of a conversion:

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

My '71 super didn't have cable operated vents on the heater channels. Nor any evidence of it ever having them. I had to reach down and open or close them by hand.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

Maddel's first two pictures show the easiest way to go: you just read down and operate the knobs on the floor vents.

His second group of pictures show where I installed a 1969 (I think it was that year) heater/defrost wheel well cable/actuator arrangement. But you need the cables from a '69, as well as the floor vents to do this conversion. These special vents have an "L" shaped arm, instead of the common screw/pinch arrangement that came stock with my bug. The curled (wound) ends of the cables fit around the L-shaped vent connectors.

From the driver side (USA driver, that is), I merely reach under my wheel well and push or pull the actuator to change from heat to defrost. However, I still have to reach over to do the same thing for the right side--although not as far as Cali who has to reach all the way to the floor.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
MARK8247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

Thx for the info guys. I'll go swap out those vents. So stock would have been no cable, but Tim Donahoe was able to do a conversion. I'm new to this sight but I'm gonna see if I can get in touch with him.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

This may be a one year only thing going on here. So the 67 guys are aware that one thing was just that. I have a 72 and 73 neither are interchangeable. I found some at a swap meet they don't fit either 72 or 73. They may fit your car. Oh I could make them fit for sure. Like we all have seen the correct fitting part is always best.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Heaters Reply with quote

The plastic floor vent was added to the heater channel in 1969 but was operated by cables from the chassis tunnel from 1973-up. An older chassis doesn't have the tubing for the front vent cables. Although the plastic vent will fit a 1971 Super sedan heater channel, you need the version with knob-operated flaps. The available reproduction (made by Airhead Parts) has knobs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: