Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door sagging towards rear
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

Quick question — in the past couple of days, for no apparent reason, my previously fine sliding door has decided to sag towards the rear of the van, and now isn't closing properly without some manual pressure applied to the rear of the door, from the outside, when closing to get it to latch.

Essentially, the sag seems to be mucking with the latch mechanism alignment.

The front roller bearings top/bottom in the upper and lower channels seems fine.

Any idea what would cause this, and how to fix it? Yes I have the Bentley, but I'm finding it challenging to decipher what's causing the issue, and therefore which adjustment to perform. Any more succinct guidance would be much appreciated.

-T
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

watch this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UrduOCJws

you don't need to remove anything if you don't want have new rollers...

at 5:32 - re-assembling the hinge

- loosen the 3 bolts

- lift the door a bit (.25"?) by using a helper hold it and tighten the 2 rear bolts.

- close the door for test... if it's OK tighten the inner bolt and you're done... otherwise adjust again...

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
watch this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UrduOCJws

you don't need to remove anything if you don't want have new rollers...

at 5:32 - re-assembling the hinge

- loosen the 3 bolts

- lift the door a bit (.25"?) by using a helper hold it and tighten the 2 rear bolts.

- close the for test... if it's OK tighten the inner bolt and you're done... otherwise adjust again...

Awesome. It wasn't too clear that there was any room for adjustment in the hinge bolts — I was afraid it was a pretty rigid/precise fit, and that the only way to 'adjust' was to essentially replace the hinge and/or rollers. I'll give it a little tweak and see if that helps.

Thanks!
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

Worked a charm. Fixed, and seems good as new. Thanks again!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

Very Happy

how do I know this? last week I replaced all the rollers on the sliding door... it's very quiet now... I highly recommend it since the rear vertical roller could break if it's too worn and the door will fall off ... and you don't want this to happen on a trip..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615936
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door sagging towards rear Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Very Happy

how do I know this? last week I replaced all the rollers on the sliding door... it's very quiet now... I highly recommend it since the rear vertical roller could break if it's too worn and the door will fall off ... and you don't want this to happen on a trip..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615936

Ack! Good to know. I reckon I'm adding "replace whole hinge assembly preemptively" to my loooong list of maintenance for the springtime.

Thanks!

-T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: