Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

'63 GhiaLover wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 GhiaLover, please pardon my ignorance. What make, model, and size are the wheels in the picture above? Can you post a side shot of the car with those wheels if available?

Thanks'
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nani85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

'63 GhiaLover wrote:
nani85 wrote:
63' Ghia Lover,

Thanks for the advice, even though I didn't personally ask I have followed this thread for the past 2 yrs and I finally got my car on the road.

Here it is:

My car is a 1968 Karmann Ghia

Front : Stock suspension with dropped spindles and 1/4" spacers, tires 155/60r15
Rear : Short swing axle with 195/70r15

Wheels are 914 alloys.

I love my car, feels smooth on the road.

One more Ghia that hits the road. Happy it all went well with you.

BTW, can you tell me what nice grey is that on your car?

Yes, so far everything is going very well. I still have to add the bumpers but they are being chromed. I also have a few other things I need to add but little by little.

That grey is a combination of the most common grey used by Honda and my friend added 6 drops of purple per 1 gallon of grey paint. I do not know the code for the purple but I can find out.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I like 17" wheels. Don't like the headache or impact on steering geometry it will require.

I thought a compromise might be to use 15" wheels up front, maybe with just drop spindles and stock beam but put 17" wheels in the back.

Anyone have photos with Fuchs or willing to Photoshop? I'm thinking it might look a little off balanced but who knows.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
I like 17" wheels. Don't like the headache or impact on steering geometry it will require.

I thought a compromise might be to use 15" wheels up front, maybe with just drop spindles and stock beam but put 17" wheels in the back.

Anyone have photos with Fuchs or willing to Photoshop? I'm thinking it might look a little off balanced but who knows.

I have seen it done and it has never looked good to me. A fresh pair of 15"s always look right, to me, on these old girls Smile . If you go with the 17"s . Go all they way and do all 4 corners!

The pictures of this ghia are from the samba user named "Jasonscool". If anyone wants to know the specs, just IM me. He told me all of them Very Happy (and he has not been on in about half a year Sad )

EDIT: Here are the specs! It just took me awhile too find them...

The answer was a 4" narrow beam and dropped spindles. Other than that, the car is stock! The car in question is a 1969 karmann ghia with IRS. He also said that is rubs a little bit on full lock and that they fit like a glove!

Also,he said that with the 15's up front with 135s, the ride was garbage compared to the 17s. That is all he told me when I was interested in 17s for my car!

15s up front and 17s in the rear

17s all around

1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)

Last edited by Bloku on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

One of my favorite ghias on the site.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Yes the 15/17 combo looks a bit awkward. The 17s all around is nicely done.

Question re: turning radius. I keep reading that one downside of narrowed beams is that radius increases. Would it be more accurate and clear to say the radius increases because the front stance has widened (in most situations), not because the beam has narrowed?

Need a little geometry education here!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Question re: turning radius. I keep reading that one downside of narrowed beams is that radius increases. Would it be more accurate and clear to say the radius increases because the front stance has widened (in most situations), not because the beam has narrowed?
Need a little geometry education here!

I would say it is not quite as you put it. The turning radius is affected by the angle the wheels can point through. In a case with just a stock wheel and a narrowed beam, the inner edge will strike the inner guard at a lesser angle than with the stock beam and so the pointing angle is lessened and so a bigger radius. Adding a wider than stock rim reduces that angle more so and thus an even wider turning radius.

Basically the lock to lock range is reduced because the wheel fouls on the inner guard as a consequence the "pivot" brought closer to the centre line of the vehicle without moving the inner guard as well. The front stance has narrowed not widened.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Ok, so I am going to attempt the 17" Fachs all around with my 68 KG. Front end being 4" narrowed with drop spindles. Rear is where I am a bit worried...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't 68s have the long axle? Would I be required to convert to short axle? If so, does that effect the spring plate length? Do you guys recommend lowered/adjustable spring plates?

Thanks guys!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

A 68 is long/long so you will probably need to go with 60-66 short axles.
As far as spring plates... I would keep the stock in place until you have all the rest of the parts (wheels/tires) installed. Then find out where you want the rear to sit and get lowered spring plates that meet that need. I have adjustable spring plates and they caused me other tire clearance issues.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hi. Looking for a bit of feedback on a tire selection choice. Car is my friends '74 Ghia 'vert and is a daily driver, in need of tires.
Been looking at the current crop of 165/80R15's and don't like the choices. The top tier 165 seems to be the Nexen SB 802 and next would be the Nankang. Some people seem to be disliking the Nankang and the Nexen isn't even on Nexentiresusa website anymore. Price in SoCal ranges from about $55-$80 ea, and no damn tire warranty!
My logic has steered me towards the Nexen CP 672 in a 195/65R15 size. This Ghia's wheel are 4.5" steel. This tire has a 70k wear out warranty, 2 year road hazard, and free tow/tire change for 36 months. It is UTOG 500AA, HR speed rated. Ive been quoted approx. $65-$70 ea for this tire from a Nexen dealer. With this tire about an inch wider I know it will fir the stock ride height ghia. Does this seem logical vs referring a friend to a product with no warranty. Seems foolish to pay the same or more for this with no warranty.
Here is that tire's link:
https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/passenger-tires/cp672
Thanks, Bill.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Thanks c21darrel.

Question... How do you prevent the axel boot from being smashed and destroyed (were old needing replacement anyway) when lifting the car? Shouldn't the zbar or a bumper prevent that? Not at home, cant look at it for a better description.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Thanks c21darrel.

Question... How do you prevent the axel boot from being smashed and destroyed (were old needing replacement anyway) when lifting the car? Shouldn't the zbar or a bumper prevent that? Not at home, cant look at it for a better description.

You can insert the square end of a 1/2" drive extension between the bottom of the spring plate and the stop and this will keep the axle from "drooping". You do this during the jacking up of the car.
I suppose if the trans mounts were old and sagging this could allow the whole trans to sit lower thus putting the axle boot smack on the frame horn.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Thanks c21darrel.

Just a thought , are the boot bolts at 12 O'clock or 3/9 O'clock? They should be at 3 or 9 . When they are at 12 they cant handle the stress and will crack sooner than normal.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if these were the original boots... The boot bolts are at about 12. Is that the proper install position?
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hello again to all the people in the ghia section! Today I come with a question that I just can't seem to find the proper answer to... my tire fitment question. I currently have my ghia lowered up front and it has 175/55s up front and I am really starting to dislike the hard ride of the short profile tires and also the looks of the tire as well. Ghia's were made with HUGE tires to fill up the fenders (and to act almost as a suspension component), so with that dinky little tire up there, it is wrong in almost every way there is Laughing

I am looking for the perfect size of tire that gives me the following goals, without rubbing, on a 1971 ghia with a stock width beam and dropped spindles:

- No thinner than a 6.5" (16.5 cm) width (about stock)
- Taller than 23.5" (57.7 cm)
- Mounted on EMPI, 5" wide, 4 lug, sprintstars with a 4.3" backspace (10.9 cm)

Right now, I think I might be going with a 165/70 tire up front to give me about the height and width I am looking for, but the problem is if it will rub or not. I do not like the look of narrow beams so that is not an option, but I have rolled the inner lip, so not even these relatively wide tires rub

What size tire do you guys think/know will work on my application?

Here is a picture of how the current wheel and tire is in relation to the fender well (ignore my paint Razz )

Thanks!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:

- No thinner than a 6.5" (16.5 cm) width (about stock)

- Taller than 23.5" (57.7 cm)
- Mounted on EMPI, 5" wide, 4 lug, sprintstars with a 4.3" backspace (10.9 cm)

Right now, I think I might be going with a 165/70 tire up front to give me about the height and width I am looking for, but the problem is if it will rub or not. I do not like the look of narrow beams so that is not an option, but I have rolled the inner lip, so not even these relatively wide tires rub

What size tire do you guys think/know will work on my application?

The 165/70-15 should be roughly 24" tall -

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=155-80r15-165-70r15

bnc
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

For those of you knowledgeable in the subject... Wondering if these will fit my 68 KG with short axles.

7x17" ET55 5-130mm Porsche Factory 996/Boxster Rims

Thank you in advance!
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

17x7 2in narrowed and adjustable beam, 2.5in dropped spindles and 195/40r17 had to tap in the inner lip of the guards and limit the steering stops a bit, no rubbing
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Nice stance... Love the 17" Fuchs, but those are ET40 if I'm ot mistaken. Which direction does that push the ones I posted (ET55)?? I get confused... Would that be even less room between the tire and the fender, or does that push it more inward giving me more clearance but less turning radius??

BTW, that is a 4" narrowed adjustable beam right??
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

yes the offset is 40. this pushes the wheel out 15mm further than your 55. and no its a 2 in narrowed beam not a 4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: