Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Cruise Control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have put together this quick concept for putting a 2003 Legacy Cruise control system into my 1998 forester 2.5 Vanagon.

I know this has been covered before but I was hoping for some input. I was wondering if I was able to use the Small Car VSS signal without any issues?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

I wish I understood more about cruise control. I want to mate Subaru cruise to a 2012 EE-20. Don't have the first clue how though.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

This is my Subaru cruise control install. Uses the unit from a 2003 Outback with a SmallCar V.S.S. No problems with the control unit recognising the V.S.S signal.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/new-project.52257/
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Any vss should work fine.

The easiest way to add cruise is a Rostra aftermarket system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Thats great to hear.. I just polished up the diagram for all to share here in the future

I am going to try this as I already have all the components and dont want to spend 300$ on a rostra.. I will followup with pics of the build when I get around to it.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

So are all the components independent from the cars ECU IN A Subaru? Anyone know if its that way for the newer 2012 and on models?

Cluster Rebuild:

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Today, Probably Not. I have a 2006 Outback and it has one of the worst cruise controls that I've ever driven. Charges Down Hills, slows way down going up on hills then takes off like crazy near the top and will vary 10 or 15 MPH between up hill and down hill when this happens.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Once they went to the drive by wire throttle the cruise was controlled by the engine ecu. Also have a 2006 Outback (AU version of course) and don't have that sort of trouble with the cruise.

I used the Bentley to wire the cruise into the vehicle the same way as the stock cruise where possible.

I do get a surge oscillation on one particular downhill section when I'm on the highway, but this is a 200m section in a 400km trip. So I can put up with that.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

I would love to use the stock 2012 Subaru Cruise control buttons for my EE-20 build, yet I'm using completely different Stand alone engine management, so the stock ECU is not an option. Wish there was a way to make it work though.

Cluster Rebuild:

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

I wouldn't see why you couldn't use the buttons with an older cruise control system.. just a thought.. I could do some digging if you wanted..
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

I actually have the ECU and cruise control buttons from a 2012 EE-20. Adding the buttons to the big horn button on the steering wheel would look really good. IMHO.

If you could look, I would appreciate it. I really have no clue about it, yet I'm willing to try.

Cluster Rebuild:

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

FYI I will be using drive by wire.

Cluster Rebuild:

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Quick update. I have not been able to create a schematic for drive by wire as there is too much ECU tie-in.

Tonight I put together my concept in wire format. I had to use a light switch to emulate the clutch pedal. I just need to find a brave soul to drive my van while I try this out.

dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

I guess most don't have stock Vanagon Cruise Control. It was pretty straight forward hooking up the stock system to the Subaru conversion I did on my Westy. Just needed a Subaru actuator and the VSS off my speedometer and all worked fine.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Just checking to see how this is going. Anything new?

Cluster Rebuild:

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

So... My experiment was a failure. I have regrouped and am trying this again. This time I am using an older setup from a 98 legacy with the vac servo instead of the electric throtle. I have also used both pedal switches as my previous diagram did not have them (they are required). Here is my mocked up pedal switches that I have got in there so far. I have to trim the brackets etc.

I will add the new wiring diagram once I test to see if this works in the next few weeks.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hey all,

Okay So I was able to finally get everything working with my cruise setup. The thing that was holding me back was the wiring for the Cruise Control Sub Switch. The wire colour was different from the schematics I was able to find online. This was a pretty easy setup and seems to work quite well.
Here is the Schematics that I have modified for sharing:

This is for the ’99 Legacy. I took the following parts off the vehicle at the wreckers:
Cruise Control Module – Part # 87022AC051
Cruise Control Sub Switch – Part # 1111000410
Clutch Switch – Part # JA4490
Brake Switch - Part #83311FJ001
Cruise Main Switch – Part #192146061581
Cruise Control Pump – Part # 87052AC030
Cruise Control Servo (With throttle cable and all tubing) – Part # 87012FA040 ( I used the non-electric verson)

I finally got it working and I am happy, it was a long road with this one. Hope someone else can use this. It cost me about $25.00 in parts from the junk yard to get this going. It should be noted that the lamp on the main switch does not turn green when the cruise is activated. I am not sure why but it threw me off for a bit.
This is my switch placement, still have to tidy it up.

**Note this is for a manual transmission setup***
dhaines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Nice work.
I installed the same system onto my van after installing a 98 EJ25.
I used the gowesty speedometer speed sensor to feed the ecu.

The vacuum servo cruise units are independent of the engine ECU which is nice as you can set the cruise speed but then use the throttle to accelerate up hills or pass people. After letting off the throttle, the cruise control will take over again.
It basically thinks that you suddenly went down a hill and ignores what you are doing.

The subaru cruise system can be wired into a vanagon cruise control steering column switch for a factory look.

also, no need to add the mechanical switches to the brake pedals, you can just tie the wiring into the hydraulic brake light switches.

Although, I do like the idea of using the mechanical switch to operate the brake lights instead of the (prone to failure) vanagon hydraulic
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Cruise Control Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.. I didn't know about using the gas pedal going uphill, that's super helpful. I was having some issues with it so I used both stock switches. In retrospect, I would probably have used the brake switch on the master cylinder. I was having issues with it which I though was the brake switch but it ended up being the set/resume wiring. But I guess it works with what I have now.

I was surprised that there was no tach signal input. Thought there would be an over rev limiter but I will just have to pay attention.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: