Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car radiator bubbling sounds!?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

if im correct, a "closed loop" system would have the radiator cap in the overflow tank, therefore the overflow tank would also be pressurized correct? if so, then no. my cooling system isnt "closed loop" the overflow tank is not pressurized...

will post pics soon, sorry...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Correct, if the overflow tank just has a plastic snap cap, it's not pressurized.
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

sorry, was looking which category to post OT pics here at thesamba when i realized that you cant...

so heres an example of what my cooling system would look like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

note: image not mine, found from local car forum here...
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
UPDATE: problem found! it is infact a bad head gasket! never thought a bad head gasket (the head is also warped) could cause the car to overheat like that!

the reason for the flying radiator cap is: 1. rad cap is broke. 2. rad cap is broke and the excess pressure in the system could not escape therefore waking up "the beast" and scalding me in the process

another update: got a second opinion from another mechanic, he said a bad head gasket would make the car loose power, and would "turn the oil into cappuccino". he told me to replace the radiator and water pump! and also my high idle (did i mention already that the car idled at 1500 or so rpms when hot?) would cause that overheat problem!

so now im confused...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

1. Did you re-fill the system the way I described?
2. Have you had the system pressure tested?

Do #1 and if no better then do #2
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

yes, i filled the system your way. still no luck...

#2: is that where the mechanic would put a hand pump on the radiator, pressurize it and see if pressure drops? yeah that was done and a small leak was found. he replaced the hose that was leaking but didnt do the test afterwards...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

So he found a pressure leak, changed a hose and did not see if that was all?

Well if you don't have a leak then its likely a thermostat, a water pump, or a plugged radiator.
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
So he found a pressure leak, changed a hose and did not see if that was all?

Well if you don't have a leak then its likely a thermostat, a water pump, or a plugged radiator.

im pretty sure that the thermostat works, i dipped it in boiling water when i replaced the thermostat housing and it opened...

would i be able to check the operation of the water pump without taking it off? the radiator is fairly new but the filler is a bit damaged (due to the flying cap)
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Is the damage to the filler preventing an air tight seal?
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Is the damage to the filler preventing an air tight seal?

sorry for the late reply, when the car has been running for awhile i could hear a hissing sound and/or water dripping around the radiator cap.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry for the late reply, when the car has been running for awhile i could hear a hissing sound and/or water dripping around the radiator cap.

That's a big issue. When you lose pressure you dramatically reduce the boiling point of the coolant. It becomes MUCH less efficient. You need to determine if it is the cap that is damaged or the neck. If its the neck and it can't be corrected then the radiator should be replaced.
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:

That's a big issue. When you lose pressure you dramatically reduce the boiling point of the coolant. It becomes MUCH less efficient. You need to determine if it is the cap that is damaged or the neck. If its the neck and it can't be corrected then the radiator should be replaced.

the cap is new, ill look into buying a new radiator. the budget is kinda tight for this car... Ill update if a new radiator doesnt solve the problem. thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: