Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bucket seat parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

I may be looking for frog hair but the 68-74 seat backs have a formed stiff foam? piece mounted on the top of back of the frame that holds the seat cover away from the frame and shapes the top of the seat back. I have searched for awhile now and can't find anything like it.

Does anyone make parts for these seats other than pads?

The PO just faked up some hokey looking crap out of cheap-ass foam. Rolling Eyes

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Not sure there is anything more than this on those seats:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881775C
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

These are the backs of my seats. The passenger seat (on the right) has the bolster. Feels like stiff-ass foam. The driver seat has only a remnant.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Again. I may be looking for frog hair. These are early bay. (68-73)

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Not exactly that cap piece but maybe a suitable substitute.

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22966695-211-681.html

Just used their foam backs and bottoms a couple of months back to do mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so far so good! Very Happy

Last edited by sodbuster on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

From another thread:

70Crew wrote:
galencurrington wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:
Ok, got my WW padding and my covers ready to install. Since my seats were done at some point in the past - they have foam installed and everything is one big mess. Now my question:

Does any type of padding go onto the backrest frame. The metal bars running from the top towards the bottom or is the cover just sitting on top of the metal?

there is a pad that runs along the top and i've noticed no one makes that part that runs along the top of the bus seats and mine are totally messed up and beyond reusing them. i also notice no one makes the rear seat backing. i think mine had gotten wet so i threw it away. they make it for a bug but not a bus.

Actually, Sewfine is selling these pads now. http://www.sewfineproducts.com/backrest-top-cap-replacements/

But the link no worky, maybe phone them up?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Thanks guys but these pieces actually hold the form of the seat back and aren't just seat foam but more like a real stiff styrofoam type material that forms the rear of the seat backs. It's a cap that attaches to the top of the seat back. I may have to get creative and make one of my own. These stick up about 2.5" above the actual frame. The PO had made a piece out of seat foam. Looked like shit. Made the seat back cover look like it was stretched over of a sack'o weenies.

A driver seat frame is about $150+ shipping. Neutral

Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Those seats look great sodbuster. I've never seen that wing window deadbolt. Where did that come from?

70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Here you go, this shows the sewfine caps for the top of the frame. You are right, the OEM cap was hard rubber. I'm not sure how dense these are but I think they are designed to do the same thing (create structure for the cover to follow).

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/68-72-bucket-seats/
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Holy shit! 125 bones a pair.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:

"Holy shit!" is the Truth! Add another $25. shipping charge from Sewfine, too.
I bought a pair of those seat back top cushions from Sewfine. I was kinda thinkin' they would be similar to
the originals in function, if not appearance. I'll have to admit that what I got looks exactly like what
Sewfine shows on their website, I just wish I had looked a little closer.

They are nowhere as solid as the originals. Its just 4 layers of medium-dense foam strips glued together
with spray adhesive, with a thin fabric/foam strip stuck to the top. I was at the neighborhood
Hobby Lobby the other day, and it seems I could get the stuff there to make my own, with materials
at least as good as Sewfine used, at a cost of less than $10. each. Which includes a big can of spray glue.

It appears from Lil Lulu's photo above that the stock passenger seat back pad is different from the
driver's seat. The tops of the two seats are shaped differently on my '71 bus, and the Sewfine pad was
totally useless on the passenger seat. My pretty old TMI seat covers are identical in shape at the top backrests, and
I'm not sure whether that is an error, or if I have the wrong seats, or if the stock VW pad on the passenger
seat allowed for that.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Lil Lulu wrote:

"Holy shit!" is the Truth! Add another $25. shipping charge from Sewfine, too.
I bought a pair of those seat back top cushions from Sewfine. I was kinda thinkin' they would be similar to
the originals in function, if not appearance. I'll have to admit that what I got looks exactly like what
Sewfine shows on their website, I just wish I had looked a little closer.

They are nowhere as solid as the originals. Its just 4 layers of medium-dense foam strips glued together
with spray adhesive, with a thin fabric/foam strip stuck to the top. I was at the neighborhood
Hobby Lobby the other day, and it seems I could get the stuff there to make my own, with materials
at least as good as Sewfine used, at a cost of less than $10. each. Which includes a big can of spray glue.

It appears from Lil Lulu's photo above that the stock passenger seat back pad is different from the
driver's seat. The tops of the two seats are shaped differently on my '71 bus, and the Sewfine pad was
totally useless on the passenger seat. My pretty old TMI seat covers are identical in shape at the top backrests, and
I'm not sure whether that is an error, or if I have the wrong seats, or if the stock VW pad on the passenger
seat allowed for that.

are you complaining? If you are then send them back and make your own. From what I have seen, Sewfine is the best solution out there on seat restorations for a bus.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
are you complaining?

Clearly I am. I offer my experience as a service to other Bus owners here, who might be led down
the same disappointing path. I wish others would do likewise more often.

Thank you for your suggestions as to possible actions I might take. Notice that I have ventured
no opinion about Sewfine's other products, or their practices in general.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
SGKent wrote:
are you complaining?

Clearly I am. I offer my experience as a service to other Bus owners here, who might be led down
the same disappointing path. I wish others would do likewise more often.

Thank you for your suggestions as to possible actions I might take. Notice that I have ventured
no opinion about Sewfine's other products, or their practices in general.

Do you feel the steel thru the pad? If not it should work Ok. You might be able to find someone who can get a piece of hard rubber and then have them CNC mill it to fit like the original.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
......... I offer my experience as a service to other Bus owners here, who might be led down
the same disappointing path. I wish others would do likewise more often.......

Well I appreciate your feedback, it'll save me some expense and wasted time next seat job, I'll just go ahead and build my own.
Thanks, for posting! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: bucket seat parts Reply with quote

In the end, I was able to very carefully, remove one from another seat I had and got one from Averys. They just explode if you try to force the issue. Had to do some gluey action and gaffers tape magic but they came out ok. I tore up three seats to get two. I’d try to make my own with several layers of semi-rigid foam if I had to do it again. Love my Sewfine seat covers and pads.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: