Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I finished the rear cargo door today... then got some more grinding done

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plan is to start tackling the inner panels. I need to fabricate a hemmed seam for the corner window panel edges.

Thinking ahead there are some things I need to add that a deluxe bus has that my bus doesn't:

armrest brackets for the rear seat.
    headliner claw pieces
    fabricate and weld in seat brackets and retainer plates
    rear seat top part mounting nuts
    cut the hole for the dashboard clock

I think I need to remove the strap bracket from the front cargo door. I could be wrong but I don't think the cargo door strap was present on deluxe models.

am i missing anything? any suggestions are appreciated

Maybe a heater log?

Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

exotic plants wrote:

Maybe a heater log?

I'm going to opt not to install the heater log and keep the floor configuration as it is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the interior to start working there. I made quite a mess of it while doing the windows.

I started placing the seat brackets on the floor. I believe a '63 deluxe would have two brackets for the rear seat and four for the middle seat.

I'm going to put two in for the rear seat and then six for the middle seat to accommodate a 3/4 or full length seat. I don't have any seats for it at the moment, but it will keep my options open when I start looking. I'll probably end up making one myself or modifying some 70's bus seats given how expensive they are.

I also separated another inner window panel that I had laying around. This will probably end up on the passenger side 4th window.

It started raining while I was working so I pulled the bus back into the garage... here she is with all the grinding completed on the windows.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Great work.
I look forward to your updates.
Keep it up.
All the best.
Dan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

my latest orders of parts have arrived. I bought one of the inner window panels from grumpys metal. This is one of the nicest reproduction panels I've seen, vw or otherwise. Its nice thick metal, crisp edges and the fit it dead on. I'm very impressed with it. I'm definitely going to look at some more of their products

I did a quick dry fit and my window edges lined up perfectly. I trust that their part is correct and my diligence in getting the window placement damn near perfect paid off.
I also received the window frames and hinges I needed to add to the remaining windows. I got them from WCM. Very nice quality also.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Today I welded in all the pop out window hinges on the drivers side, 4 of them.

I also welded in the rear seat mounts

I then spent a few hours cleaning up the inside of the window welds and sealing them up with paint in preparation for installing the inner window panels.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the interior to start working there. I made quite a mess of it while doing the windows.

I started placing the seat brackets on the floor. I believe a '63 deluxe would have two brackets for the rear seat and four for the middle seat.

I'm going to put two in for the rear seat and then six for the middle seat to accommodate a 3/4 or full length seat. I don't have any seats for it at the moment, but it will keep my options open when I start looking. I'll probably end up making one myself or modifying some 70's bus seats given how expensive they are.

I've got an extra bay window rear seat in brown, if you are interested. You know how to reach me.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Trippy how you made the rears scoopers.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

not so trippy if you want to be able to open and close them?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Thats Exactly why I did them that way.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Thats Exactly why I did them that way.

So in a regular bus where would this piece be? Or is that just so you get to choose which way they open?

I see how you could use it in your situation but weren't those rearmost windows stationary normally?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

the rearmost (4th) windows never came as pop-outs from the factory, only with stationary glass. That piece that grumpy's metal makes provides provisions to install the hinge on either side of both window openings (which is really nice). You could use it anywhere on the bus, or even cut the panel in half to add a 4th window to both sides. it comes etched where to cut it if you were using it for that purpose.

In my case, I'm using it whole to cover the passenger side 3rd and 4th windows rearward of the cargo doors. Its an absolute perfect fit. I will need to add the nut plates and retainers to the rear of the panel.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Wow. Impressive. I vote 15 window. But My favorite is the 13 window with a rag top (not sure if rag tops were original, but I like the mod).
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Wow. Impressive. I vote 15 window. But My favorite is the 13 window with a rag top (not sure if rag tops were original, but I like the mod).

A 13-Window would be a Hardtop Deluxe so if it had a ragtop it would be be a full 21-Window.

An 11-Window could have a ragtop as an original option.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Spent some time today on some little things.

I cut off the small channel on the B pillar that the inner window liner gets welded to from one of my donor B pillars.

The donor B pillar I had is a different shape than the one on my bus....possibly because mine is a walk through model?

Then I did some work on the inner window liner panels. I'm going to have to make a few more of these nut plates and retainers...heres my first shot at one. I know i really don't have to get this part to look like the original, i can make one a lot easier that serves the same purpose but i was having some fun.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I got the hinges on the passenger side welded in today.

next up is getting the panel from grumpy's metal installed.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

where did the hinges come from?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
where did the hinges come from?

West coast metric. They are nice. I got the pop out windows from them too. Good stuff.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

did you get the metal or stainless frame?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
did you get the metal or stainless frame?

the plain steel ones. I intend to paint them to match the body color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 34

Jump to: