Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Survivor Restore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Which of these two throttle brackets should I use? Both were from same model carburetor but look different.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/list]

Both are for that carb, the one on the carb needs to rotate CCW 180 degrees so it's vertical and the one in you hand needs to flip end to end so the screw is at the top, it then goes on the shaft too.

X2 on Volkzbitz, worth every penney.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
Send the carb to Tim at Volkzbitz. Money well spent and will remove a HUGE variable when you get the engine back together...

Variable being improperly "rebuilt" carb which throws everything off...

It's really short money and quality work Smile

I've got new bushings so I'm planning on doing it myself..
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Although .012" is within the wear limit it's approaching the upper end of it, at the very least reshim it and get it down lower.

P.S. End play wear limit is .006" according to the factory specs
Rods can float a bit more than .016" - .027" on the journals @ wear limit of .006" rod bearing clearance.

People should note that the upper ends of the specs are not a happy place, they are where the engine can still hold together as they pound themselves to death under the assumption that they were not going to be beloved classics for the next five decades . . .
Colin
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Although .012" is within the wear limit it's approaching the upper end of it, at the very least reshim it and get it down lower.

P.S. End play wear limit is .006" according to the factory specs
Rods can float a bit more than .016" - .027" on the journals @ wear limit of .006" rod bearing clearance.

People should note that the upper ends of the specs are not a happy place, they are where the engine can still hold together as they pound themselves to death under the assumption that they were not going to be beloved classics for the next five decades . . .
Colin

So what you're saying is that my end play is way within tolerance?
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Finally getting back into the bus project. Got my new rebuilt heads on, and beginning to seal that all back together, tomorrow I will get my distributor ready, fuel pump, oil cooler, drop my flywheel off to get turned, buy a new rear main seal, oil cooler gaskets, and intake gaskets.
Went a different direction with the carbs.
today I painted my tins. Theyre not as bright as they look Razz
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I pretty much took some time off from working on the bus for the holidays... But my new plan is so dependent on getting this bus going that I have new inspiration for it.
I am going to be moving into the bus in spring, and traveling a bit. Embarassed
Pretty excited, and ambitious.

Anyway, I have 2 technical questions..
On the rocker studs on the heads, one stud is shorter than the other. And they were kind of bent apart, I was told these heads were recently rebuilt though... The shorter stud is obvious and won't let the bolt fully seat, should I just replace this stud?

Next question, I have my oil cooler ready to torque down, but was clearing out the dust from the oil cooler holes in the case, blowing down into the case, there is resistance on one port (the port with the larger hole, flywheel side.. Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Engine refresh complete. Installing it tomorrow

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Engine bolted in, still busy installing a starter, battery and adjusting carbs.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I can't see a single one of your pictures. Please use thesamba gallery for better help. Thanks
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

maybe he fixed them ,cause I can see them
He will servive. Twisted Evil
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I tried the samba gallery. Wouldn't load sorry.

[/img]
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Working in the snow,that make it a little harder,Good job!
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Working in the snow,that make it a little harder,Good job!

Cant let the weather stop ya! theres been snow on the ground for months now, had to keep working. Tried to do most of the work inside so it was just an install left.

BUS RUNS!
Just a few simple things, valve job, timed the engine, got the electrical working and started it using spray and gas in a cup. The fuel pump is not working properly at all.. It has low pressure and its brand new! I need to take it off and check the rod length, but I was damn careful buying the new one from the guy, he said it was right too. Its a cheap (payed too much) china one, so I think I'll go buy german rebuildable one soon. I was able to test the whole electrical system. 1 headlight is working, all running lights work and 1 brake light works. I got the new tires mounted. They are the General Grabber AT2's and they sit beautifully. I think this bus has about 10 inches of clearance at its lowest point. That will be perfect for the roads here in winter in central Oregon.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Drove the bus from the backyard to the front yard today. The gearbox seems to work, which is a releaf. The clutch feels good too, new everything there. I am impressed with the clearance, yet again. Even with the 14" tires it's got about a foot.

Tomorrow I will fine tune the carbs, get block off plates for the heat risers, redo the exhaust install and get all the lights working, drive it to the gas station with the jerry rigged can, fill up the tank with the outlet blocked, drive back home and plumb the tank into the pump with 2 in line filters.
[/img]
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Drove to the gas station today!!
[/img]
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Everyone can see my images correct?
I drove the bus like 100+ miles this weekend. It ran really strong and I am excited to bring it to work this week and get some rust new pieces fitted and welded in for the battery and cargo area ready for POR15

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
I drove the bus like 100+ miles this weekend. It ran really strong and I am excited to bring it to work this week and get some rust new pieces fitted and welded in for the battery and cargo area ready for POR15

Sweet picture! I bet it feels great to have your bus running strong and working like the horse it is! Make sure to do your break in oil changes religiously.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Also- Anyone need a crusty middle seat? Doing a full camper interior and need to sell it.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

Sweet picture! I bet it feels great to have your bus running strong and working like the horse it is! Make sure to do your break in oil changes religiously.

Totally, I am doing one tomorrow. Break in dual fuel filters religiously too Wink
Yes, it really does feel great. It's not a new engine, but I've pulled my other AE 1600 DP case down to a short, soon to split the case and bring it in to be checked. If it's in good condition, I will have it built into a 1776. Is $1500 a good price for an engine rebuild?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:

Totally, I am doing one tomorrow. Break in dual fuel filters religiously too Wink
Yes, it really does feel great. It's not a new engine, but I've pulled my other AE 1600 DP case down to a short, soon to split the case and bring it in to be checked. If it's in good condition, I will have it built into a 1776. Is $1500 a good price for an engine rebuild?

From my research, $1500 is an excellent price. Id be cautious of the quality, unless you complete the rebuild yourself.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: