Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

From the AP: "AAA projects that 48.7 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more from home this Thanksgiving..."

For us, 153 miles from the Bay Area of California up to my in-laws in Chico, CA.

Brought ourselves (Kathy & I), my sister-in-law, out from New York, my mom, as well our cat, Nikita.

Comfy with the bed down in the back.

Regretfully have not seen any other air-cooled VWs on the road during the 3 hour trip.

Hope you are all safe, warm and happy with family & friends.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mom in the bus she used to drive:

After a rainy night:

The five of us and my mother-in-law, prior to heading back to the Bay:

Last edited by DadaCheese on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I love when this thread gets updated. Safe travels out there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Nice pics, happy Thanksgiving!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I love when this thread gets updated. Safe travels out there!

same here, Happy Thanksgiving

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Happy Winter, everyone.

Was just down in Southern California for New Year's and managed to dig up a couple snapshots of "The Toaster" during 1975 & 1976.

Soccer and Scouting (both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts) were activities that the Toaster was often used for, besides being our family's main car during '75 & '76. In 1976, my dad bought a floor-model blue and white Bay Window.

I don't think these photos, since the bus is not prominently displayed, are quite good enough for the old picture/postcard thread.

My mom at home before a scout meeting:

Cub Scout Outing:

My brother with his team's soccer banner (below).
...that top on The Toaster was used often for camping trips, and when my parents drove us across the country (in the Bay Window), we used it then too.

I'm pleased to find these pictures also to see that yes, the original hub caps were once gray, and that we also used to have the original round mirrors too.

Also while down south, Kathy and I went to the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.
https://petersen.org/

Here's the 1954 that they have on display:

...and if you are a Herbie fan; a couple links to Herbie "Fully Loaded" also at the museum:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1592311.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1592310
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1592309.jpg

...and lastly...
Some friend sent Kathy and myself some T-shirts that they had made via CafePress. There was no note as to who they came from. We put up a post on Facebook to ask the mystery gift sender to come forward, but so far; nothing. ...someone from TheSamba?

Hope everyone has had a great holiday season. Look for me on the 80 this morning; it's always a great day when I use The Toaster for work, even if it is raining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Found these at our local Daiso ($1.50 discount store of primarily Japanese items)

Very cheaply made, out of balsa wood, but only $1.50.
Good perhaps for holding paper, but nothing heavy.

12cm X 5cm X 19.5cm

Might be good for organizing junk on the parcel tray.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
12mm X 5mm X 19.5mm

Do you mean "cm"? That ^^^^^ is barely a tiny matchbox.

Trippy crates.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
DadaCheese wrote:
12mm X 5mm X 19.5mm

Do you mean "cm"? That ^^^^^ is barely a tiny matchbox.

Indeed; CM! ...edited
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Looks like you have tons of fun! Wish my VW was in good enough condition to be used that much. (It will be soon enough) but just an FYI, that painters tape really sticks once it gets wet. It'll rip your paint off. You may want to look into a different solution.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Looks like you have tons of fun! Wish my VW was in good enough condition to be used that much. (It will be soon enough) but just an FYI, that painters tape really sticks once it gets wet. It'll rip your paint off. You may want to look into a different solution.

Thanks for the head's up! Yeah; we typically try to use it only on long dry trips.
...and your restoration work on the 1970 looks fantastic! Wish I had that kind of technical know-how.

----------------------------------------------------------

This afternoon/evening finished the day with some fun VW-related things.

Drove down to Santa Clara, CA for the informal meet-up of "Deutschland Drivers" which is a California Bay Area group of folks that keep in contact on Facebook.

Regretfully due to wet weather, and that some folks had repair challenges that kept them away, this meet-up pretty small.
Actually, it was just Kathy and myself with the Toaster, and Sam with his great 1963 Single Cab.

Started out early to get to Santa Clara, and stopped at Buggy House on the way south to get a new horn.
After 49+ years, ours had stopped working.

Here's the back of it:

Stopped at Buggy House in Hayward, CA which is the only VW parts and repair shop in the Bay Area that I know which is open on Saturdays.
They've always been great to us there.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/buggy-house-hayward-2/

Pulled over to an empty parking lot afterwards and installed the new horn.
Took only a few minutes. Would never be able to do something like that in our Prius.

Then it was off to Swiss Park in Newark, CA.
...we had hoped to have dinner there, but there was to be a crab feed later in the evening, so the restaurant wasn't open. Instead we just enjoyed a drink in the bar.
Spoke to no fewer than three regualrs who came in and said; "Whose VW is that? What year is it?"... and then heard some great stories of individual's former VWs.

Oh, those balsa wood boxes we got at Daiso?
Turns out they fit perfectly in the junk drawer:

Making it out to Santa Clara, we met Sam and got to look at his great 1963 Single Cab, and spoke with him at length about his current project, his 1974 Thing. Great to meet Sam, and have the chance to chat.

Drove up the SF peninsula on the way back, through SF and over the Bay Bridge to get home.
Poured down buckets, which, for Bay Area Californians is something that many drivers aren't so great with.
Home safe, and dry, and The toaster got to tell Kathy's Ghia about the day's trip:

Hope that, regardless of weather, everyone's having the chance to be out and enjoying their spilt-buses.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

We are seriously starting to consider a cross-county, and back, trip in “The Toaster”.
Possibly this year (2017).
NOT set in stone, but we're at the early; “can we do this?” stage of planning.

West Coast (Bay Area of California) to New York via a central-northern route, then dipping down to the Southern U.S. for the return.

There's a great many excellent threads about other long trips that folks have taken, and I also appreciate the many lists of tools and extra parts that folks bring along.

Really; it is just time and money.
We don't have much of either, but we’re tired of thinking; “one day.

Although hot, we'd consider July.
A great deal of the trip would be spent in the car, likely trying to keep most travel segments down to about 300 miles a day.
Per day that would be 6 to 7 hours of driving (300 miles, averaging 57mph = 5.67 hours sans stops or traffic).

At an estimated 3,721 miles to Kathy's sister in NYC, 13 days of travel (without break-downs or lay-overs).

Returning, a more ambitious 4,311 miles (roughly), that's 14 to 15 days of traveling.

Beyond the many things I want to fix on the Toaster prior an attempt like this, and the great likelihood of breaking down (more than once), it's a matter of being frugal as well as having emergency funds at the ready.

We'd likely be primarily camping; sleeping in our tent and/or in the bus. Perhaps an occasional AirBnB, or motel. Perhaps we’d also be fortunate to meet other VW enthusiasts on the way too.

Took a quick look at shows/events for July of this year, and the only thing that may even fit our schedule would possibly be the “Camping at Bald Mountain” in Townshend, Vermont on July 14th. Looks like that’s about 150 miles north of friends of ours in Providence, RI that if we do the trip we’d hope to visit.

Are there other July shows/events in the States that aren't posted yet that folks know about?

So; roughly 8,100 miles. Using a conservative estimate of 15mpg, (our collective average over the past year has been 17mpg), equals 535.5 gallons.
Times a conservatively high $3/gallon for premium, equals $1,606.50 in gas alone.

Again; just at the musing part of this, but Kathy's inspired, and it's always been a dream of mine to accomplish this trip in The Toaster.

Thoughts, advice and naysayer's comments appreciated if tinged with friendly well-meaning VW community spirit.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Just Do It...you will never forget it

Love your thread
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
We'd likely be primarily camping; sleeping in our tent and/or in the bus.

Back in '09/'10 when I did the Floriduh Show Tour, I used a "campgrounds ap" to find any around wherever the night got me. Extremely helpful giving all info needed, i.e. number of sites, hook-ups, hot water, etc. Googoolit! Cool
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Hi there,

Slow down to 55 or 60 mph and you'll get better gas mileage and save a bit of money...

The Vintage Races held at the rural "Road America" race course in beautiful Elkhart Lake, WI in mid-July. Lots of old Vintage street cars of all types and plenty of vintage and historic race cars in use on the race course. A group of VW Bus enthusiasts often convene that weekend to camp nearby and attend the vintage automotive festivities.

We're in the St. Louis, MO area if you end up in our neighborhood...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Thoughts, advice and naysayer's comments appreciated if tinged with friendly well-meaning VW community spirit.

We never attempted such a long trip, but me and my wife went on our honeymoon that way ; planning a destination, without hotel or anything planned. Best.Trip.Ever.

With kids now, we plan to do it again, just like you "one day".

If that "one day" can be tomorrow for you, do it. And definately get enough money stacked in case of emergency.

not doing something is usually the worst regrets you get as you get older.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Thoughts, advice and naysayer's comments

Discover America trips four times in my bus but each time different loops: San Diego to Maine, Florida, DC, stuff like that with Washington, Canada thrown in here and there. Most all miles were on the roads that were there before freeways were invented. For heat I spray myself with a giant windex sprayer filled with water. I like a shower in the evening with mosquito netting if there are mosquitos. Get a super low current miniature clip-on fan with enough cord to plug into the lighter socket for hot nights sleeping. I don't like bustling, lights, or generators. The best places seemed to be just down a random wild lost road for the night using common sense. My camp ground guide is a soft cover guide book. I use http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ to find out if there's some killer thing around like "House On The Rock". Laundromats have a way of making things seem to start all over again. A road atlas, to me, allows you to spread out the map and see. You will not regret doing the trip in the long run but be certain that stuff will happen big-time. A folding shovel and strong long rope are a must. A little garden hose with sprayer can spritz up a gucky bus, fill the water tank, or cool you down for fun. I have a little hydraulic bottle jack and skateboard to pull the engine. Sorry for all the rambling.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
We are seriously starting to consider a cross-county, and back, trip in “The Toaster”.
Possibly this year (2017).
NOT set in stone, but we're at the early; “can we do this?” stage of planning.

West Coast (Bay Area of California) to New York via a central-northern route, then dipping down to the Southern U.S. for the return.

There's a great many excellent threads about other long trips that folks have taken, and I also appreciate the many lists of tools and extra parts that folks bring along.

Really; it is just time and money.
We don't have much of either, but we’re tired of thinking; “one day.

Although hot, we'd consider July.
A great deal of the trip would be spent in the car, likely trying to keep most travel segments down to about 300 miles a day.
Per day that would be 6 to 7 hours of driving (300 miles, averaging 57mph = 5.67 hours sans stops or traffic).

At an estimated 3,721 miles to Kathy's sister in NYC, 13 days of travel (without break-downs or lay-overs).

Returning, a more ambitious 4,311 miles (roughly), that's 14 to 15 days of traveling.

Beyond the many things I want to fix on the Toaster prior an attempt like this, and the great likelihood of breaking down (more than once), it's a matter of being frugal as well as having emergency funds at the ready.

We'd likely be primarily camping; sleeping in our tent and/or in the bus. Perhaps an occasional AirBnB, or motel. Perhaps we’d also be fortunate to meet other VW enthusiasts on the way too.

Took a quick look at shows/events for July of this year, and the only thing that may even fit our schedule would possibly be the “Camping at Bald Mountain” in Townshend, Vermont on July 14th. Looks like that’s about 150 miles north of friends of ours in Providence, RI that if we do the trip we’d hope to visit.

Are there other July shows/events in the States that aren't posted yet that folks know about?

So; roughly 8,100 miles. Using a conservative estimate of 15mpg, (our collective average over the past year has been 17mpg), equals 535.5 gallons.
Times a conservatively high $3/gallon for premium, equals $1,606.50 in gas alone.

Again; just at the musing part of this, but Kathy's inspired, and it's always been a dream of mine to accomplish this trip in The Toaster.

On your SE USA portion of the return trip, I highly recommend a lower route that would take you to Charleston, SC. Just be careful, you might decide to stay in Charleston forever. The history and preservation there is amazing. Truly unforgettable. And I see your route seems to avoid my home state of Alabama like the plague! Lol.

I'm planning to drive my 64 back to its original stomping grounds in Alabama in the early spring with a possible extra leg over to Charleston for a 20th year reunion with academy classmates. Maybe we'll cross paths?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
DadaCheese wrote:
Thoughts, advice and naysayer's comments

Discover America trips four times in my bus but each time different loops: San Diego to Maine, Florida, DC, stuff like that with Washington, Canada thrown in here and there. Most all miles were on the roads that were there before freeways were invented. For heat I spray myself with a giant windex sprayer filled with water. I like a shower in the evening with mosquito netting if there are mosquitos. Get a super low current miniature clip-on fan with enough cord to plug into the lighter socket for hot nights sleeping. I don't like bustling, lights, or generators. The best places seemed to be just down a random wild lost road for the night using common sense. My camp ground guide is a soft cover guide book. I use http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ to find out if there's some killer thing around like "House On The Rock". Laundromats have a way of making things seem to start all over again. A road atlas, to me, allows you to spread out the map and see. You will not regret doing the trip in the long run but be certain that stuff will happen big-time. A folding shovel and strong long rope are a must. A little garden hose with sprayer can spritz up a gucky bus, fill the water tank, or cool you down for fun. I have a little hydraulic bottle jack and skateboard to pull the engine. Sorry for all the rambling.

No, please ramble more. I'm itching to really hit the road and I'm taking notes. And pics. Surely you made pics on these voyages. Tucson to SD and back was a good test, but not quite epic lol
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
BarryL wrote:
...Sorry for all the rambling.
No, please ramble more. I'm itching to really hit the road and I'm taking notes...Tucson to SD and back was a good test, but not quite epic lol
Hi and hey; you're the one about to head out east on a pretty long one!

AS350driver wrote:
And pics. Surely you made pics on these voyages.
It's not my thread. I actually look up to DadaCheese for the latest adventure and hour-to-hour mile-to-mile catch-up on what it's like to travel lately.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Musing about a cross-country trip. Reply with quote

SMALLEST of updates: began conversations with my boss about the possibility of taking a month off to do this.
I work for a non-profit with a three-person IT team, so even my absence from work would need to be planned for in advance, and I may need to take some unpaid time off as I do not currently have enough vacation days to cover a whole month off.

It sounds as if this could be arranged. Kathy's work situation notwithstanding (another factor to be looked into).

--------------------------------------------------------

d-rick wrote:
Just Do It...you will never forget it

Right! Thanks, d-rick. Encouraging!
pyrOman wrote:
Back in '09/'10 when I did the Floriduh Show Tour, I used a "campgrounds ap" to find any around wherever the night got me. Extremely helpful giving all info needed, i.e. number of sites, hook-ups, hot water, etc. Googoolit! Cool

Fantastic. An app like that sounds very useful. Thanks.
BulliBill wrote:
Hi there,
Slow down to 55 or 60 mph and you'll get better gas mileage and save a bit of money...

The Vintage Races held at the rural "Road America" race course in beautiful Elkhart Lake, WI in mid-July. Lots of old Vintage street cars of all types and plenty of vintage and historic race cars in use on the race course. A group of VW Bus enthusiasts often convene that weekend to camp nearby and attend the vintage automotive festivities.

We're in the St. Louis, MO area if you end up in our neighborhood...

Bill, thanks for this... hmm; that might be a good destination, and as I am a cheese fanatic, hitting part of WI might be a great thing. Also, I'd love for Kathy to see the Arch in St. Louis if we figure a route that could go through there. I went through your town once in 1978 when my parents drove our family (five of us) cross-country in a 1977 Blue/White Bay Window to Maryland and back again.
My hope is to keep things at/below about 60mph; our 1600 seems to be good at that speed most of the time.

Enkiel wrote:
We never attempted such a long trip, but me and my wife went on our honeymoon that way ; planning a destination, without hotel or anything planned. Best.Trip.Ever.

Enkie; that's just the kind of encouragement that brings us closer and closer to making this happen.
BarryL wrote:
...Most all miles were on the roads that were there before freeways were invented. For heat I spray myself with a giant windex sprayer filled with water. I like a shower in the evening with mosquito netting if there are mosquitos. Get a super low current miniature clip-on fan with enough cord to plug into the lighter socket for hot nights sleeping. I don't like bustling, lights, or generators. The best places seemed to be just down a random wild lost road for the night using common sense. My camp ground guide is a soft cover guide book. I use http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ to find out if there's some killer thing around like "House On The Rock". Laundromats have a way of making things seem to start all over again. A road atlas, to me, allows you to spread out the map and see. You will not regret doing the trip in the long run but be certain that stuff will happen big-time. A folding shovel and strong long rope are a must. A little garden hose with sprayer can spritz up a gucky bus, fill the water tank, or cool you down for fun. I have a little hydraulic bottle jack and skateboard to pull the engine. Sorry for all the rambling.

BarryL; we've many common thought-patterns. Although I work as an IT professional, I have a love/hate relationship with technology.
Also, raised in a family of backpackers/campers, I agree about generators, etc.
Roadside attractions, off the beaten path and scouring over Triple-A maps are all things that make me both happy and at peace with the world. Great advice. Thanks!
(...for clarification, yes of course we'd still be using gadgets too; the Internet and such)

AS350driver wrote:
On your SE USA portion of the return trip, I highly recommend a lower route that would take you to Charleston, SC. Just be careful, you might decide to stay in Charleston forever. The history and preservation there is amazing. Truly unforgettable. And I see your route seems to avoid my home state of Alabama like the plague! Lol.

I'm planning to drive my 64 back to its original stomping grounds in Alabama in the early spring with a possible extra leg over to Charleston for a 20th year reunion with academy classmates. Maybe we'll cross paths?

AS350driver, we've read great things about Charleston... will need to evaluate. I know that Memphis is high on Kathy's list; that may keep us north and west of Charleston.
We're not Elvis fans, per se, but we do love kitsch, so Graceland is kind of a bucket-list thing for Kathy.
Naturally as this develops, we'd keep everyone in the loop about our destination(s) and route.
When/if possible to meet up with VW enthusiasts along the way would make us very pleased (and even more so if they are split-bus folks).

-----------------------------------------------------------

We're considering
that having a roof rack, as well as a "RoadShower" ( http://www.roadshower.com/ ) would be a couple nice-to-haves for the trip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 47

Jump to: