Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLucky33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

I saw a bug thread about wing seals and the Vibrasil ones not looking as great. I recently got a pair for my splitty, was told first that they were made in the USA, although the box they came in says Volkswagen do Brasil. In literature of the vendor it says German seals are superior, I was sent one bug seal by mistake and noticed that the bug seal was much better quality, tidy edges, grayish in color and just looked nicer. I raised this with the vendor who said no one else had complained about the bus vent seal quality before. I looked at several vendors now, and they either don't say if they are German, OEM, or they say Not Brazilian, like it is a bad thing. The quality of the rubber feels ok, just not OG like. This is long winded, but should I install my Vibrasil seals, or are there better available, and from whom?
Also does anyone know if Vibrasil is just a brand name that might be made in the USA, or am I being sold inferior Brazilian seals?
To be honest I would pay more for it, but it would help to have close up images on the online stores, once you get them it is clear to see the difference.

Sorry for the ramble, got a check strap pin today and I am very happy about that, is that weird?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

... I buy my seal parts from Bughaus.com, advertising, here on thesamba. I ask where the parts are made and Eric always knows... usually, he gets 'em from West Coast Metric... Their stuff fits well, but sometimes is "un naturally shiny" and I don't like that... when I balk, he usually gets me something else, more to my liking...
... have a list if items, I always look for and buy as spares, including original rubber... problem is, time-wise, the further we get from original, the more we'll have to rely on reproduction.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bughaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

Vibrasil is the company who makes most of the seals for VW of Brazil. They are the OEM company and afaik, the only one making the early Bus vent wing seals. Early Beetle vent wing seals are also from Vibrasil as are the Bay bus vent wing seals (though these are usually still stamped with the VW/Audi logo). Late Beetle seals are US-made WCM since VW stopped making them. The Vibrasil seals are not inferior seals though they are sometimes a bit flashy (which is an easy fix), but that being said Genuine VW of Brazil is usually a bit sloppier overall than VW of Germany, or at least VW of Germany from the 50's-70's. We've never had any issues installing the Vibrasil seals however vent wing seals are the most difficult of any seal to install properly so adequate prior inebriation is helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLucky33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

Thanks ZenVW Driver and Eric. That does help me to decide that I will go ahead and use them, just wanted to field whether or not they are good quality compared to any other vendor. If no-one else is making them then they are what is available. It seems I need a time machine to get perfect parts, could be said of many things..

Thanks again.

Meanwhile anyone find better bus Vent Wing Seals, post a reply here.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

That vent seal is a terrible design from factory. Even when these vehicles where new from the assembly line these seals were famous for the trouble the gave.

They would pop out of place if you decided to use your vent wing frequently, they leak, shrink reasonably creating gaps and are terrible to fit.

Caulking compound was available back in those days, I still don't understand why VW never went to caulk this seal and the others in the front door frames, the gaps specially at the lower region are just a collector for water to sit and eventually corrode those channeled sections from inside out.

People today have altered expectations with these old vehicles, apart from the amazing fact of fetching 300k in a auction(see other post), when they came from the line they were inexpensive transportation. They all leaked water, noise and dust even when new. They got the job done but were a far cry from a luxury perfect product.

Welcome to the hobby.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

SOLucky33 wrote:
Thanks ZenVW Driver and Eric. That does help me to decide that I will go ahead and use them, just wanted to field whether or not they are good quality compared to any other vendor. If no-one else is making them then they are what is available. It seems I need a time machine to get perfect parts, could be said of many things..

Thanks again.

Meanwhile anyone find better bus Vent Wing Seals, post a reply here.

I've heard safari window seals are better. Check out page 35 from BulliBill's resto thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=680
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

Safari window inner seals are what you want.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLucky33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Seal - Vibrasil? Reply with quote

These are Vibrasil are a little flashy, but as Bill did I'll just get out a new blade. Thanks for the help all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: