Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a 195R14 will fit in the walkthru spare tire well?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

It all depends on the width of the tire. Anything past about 7.2" will not fit from what I've seen. Most modern 195R14 or 195R15 are 7.7" - 8" wide. I specifically bought a bias ply tire for my spare so it would fit in the walkthru spare tire well.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

I'm running Yokohama Y356's in LT 195/75 R14 and the spare fits nicely in the walkthrough spare well.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, I dug thru a pile of 14" tires and wheels today and tried them in the walk thru well. I'm trying to decide between 185R14 and 195R15 because of wanting to try a strong sidewalled tire instead of a passenger car tire. A 185R14 just barely squeezed into the well, so I'm pretty sure a 195R14 won't...I'm gonna go with the 185R14
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

I'm running Yokohama Y356's in LT 195/75 R14 and the spare fits nicely in the walkthrough spare well.

Those have a section width of 7" so I could see why they would fit. They are only 26" in diameter which is a bit shorter than original but not by much (.80). I've heard they are a nice tire.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
oakman wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

Those have a section width of 7" so I could see why they would fit. They are only 26" in diameter which is a bit shorter than original but not by much (.80). I've heard they are a nice tire.

Being a bus noob and not doing proper research, I had passenger car tires on there before (Hankook Optimo p195/75 r14) and the sidewalls had some bulge. The spare still fit but it was tight. After switching to the Yokohama's I couldn't believe the difference, and that I had been driving around on sketchy mushy marshmellow tires for a couple years.

The Y356's are 8-ply rated sidewall and load range d. No bulgy sidewall, and the bus drives and handles with much more confidence now.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

I was worse. I knew what I should have been using but was too cheap to replace them until last year. What a difference a proper tire makes in handling and ride feel. I run bus 15" rims with 195R15 tires and will never go back.

It only took me three buses to finally run the right tire. 😃
boetgert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hey Gerrie,

Now that you have the Hankooks mounted, balanced, aired up, could you do us all a favor? Could you jack one up off the ground, and run a fabric tape measure all the way around the inflated tire in the center of the tire and get us the outer measurement is inches (should be something like 79 to 85 inches all the way around). In other words, For each rotation of the axle, how many inches are traveled? Thanks for your great photos and initial impressions! I am very interested in possibly getting a set of these!

Bill Bowman

Bill;
I replied to your PM but just want to post the info here as well.
Measured the spare tire since I got 5 new tires Very Happy

It measured 83 inches around.
How does equate to the stock tires?

Regards
Gerrie
first_corner_fever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

[quote="boetgert"]
BulliBill wrote:

Regards
Gerrie

Hey Guys
Anyone have the answer to Gerrie's question?

I have just fit some Bridgestone R623 195r14. They were recommended highly and have a super clean sidewall. Fit up they look like a lot of tyre but will save my judgement until they are on the car. The circumference is 2100mm or 82.7inches.

Keen to know how this compares to original.

Cheers
Tom
Will post a pic when on the car (and learn how!!)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

I"ll try to find my wife's fabric tape measure and dig out of storage my old 14" rim with a 7.00 x 14" bias ply spare tire with nice tread and then measure it, and post my findings here. The tire is probably not an original German tire, but should give us an idea of the outer diameter of the tires back then for comparison purposes.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

According to the specs here they were 26.80 inches originally:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Okie-dokie.

The tire is unused, no apparent wear at all on the tread surface. It is a SEIBERLING 8 ply rating 7.00 x 14 L.T. tire.

Tubeless load range D
tread 4 ply nylon
sidewall 4 ply nylon
max load single 1550 lbs at 60 psi cold

With the tire in excellent condition and inflated, and with the fabric tape measure wrapped all the way around the tire, in the middle (high point) of the tread width and the tire off the ground, the measurement is 81 1/8 inches per revolution of this tire.

For comparison purposes, I sure hope that helps! I'm not sure why the chart that "Srfndoc" posted says that a 7.00 x 14" tire should be 84.19" in circumference? That is almost 3 inches difference per rotation. Then again, my tire is probably made back in the 60's or early 70's., and as we all know, things were "a little different" back then! Glad to see that the Hankook Vantra 195R 14 8PR tires that Gerrie measured and reviewed are a bit bigger in circumference than my old tire and closer to the chart size of 84 inches in circumference.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

Three tires of the exact same size from three different companies will often have three different measurements. The size cast into the sidewall seems to be just a guideline, and production makes them vary.

Also, you can measure tire circumference by rolling the tire along the ground one full rotation and measuring the distance covered. Just need some chalk/tape/whatever and a regular tape measure.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

BLAST! I just viewed a pic of my tires and am now conscious of the fact they are P185/75 R14... and quite new (2k miles).

Haven't viewed the spare yet, but my curiosity is sparked regarding the 'LT' ride handling difference.

Maybe like srfndoc I'll get the right ones three buses from now!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
BLAST! I just viewed a pic of my tires and am now conscious of the fact they are P185/75 R14... and quite new (2k miles).

Haven't viewed the spare yet, but my curiosity is sparked regarding the 'LT' ride handling difference.

Maybe like srfndoc I'll get the right ones three buses from now!

Those dinky little squishy tires belong on a Honda. Get some good tires, you will not regret it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

first_corner_fever wrote:
boetgert wrote:

Regards
Gerrie

Hey Guys

From the first page of this thread:
Quote:
The type2.com library says the 7.00x14 tire had a diameter of 26.22", +/- .24"

26.22" diameter is a circumference of: 82.37"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boetgert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

In the last week we drove up from Jupiter to Savannah GA (Currently stuck in severe weather and Tornado warnings!)

Anyway, my tire guy had the tires inflated to 45psi when I got the bus back and the bus drove beuatifully but I decided to go by the Bentley book and deflate them to 28 / 32 psi....... That was a big mistake since the steering became VERY heavy and the sidewalls were bulging quite substantially so now I am back to 45psi all the way around.
I will have to see how that performs tomorrow in the rain.

On a side note any bus parts guys in Savannah I might need to figure out how to stop water leaking through the cargo doors Confused

Gerrie
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

boetgert wrote:
In the last week we drove up from Jupiter to Savannah GA (Currently stuck in severe weather and Tornado warnings!)

Anyway, my tire guy had the tires inflated to 45psi when I got the bus back and the bus drove beuatifully but I decided to go by the Bentley book and deflate them to 28 / 32 psi....... That was a big mistake since the steering became VERY heavy and the sidewalls were bulging quite substantially so now I am back to 45psi all the way around.
I will have to see how that performs tomorrow in the rain.

On a side note any bus parts guys in Savannah I might need to figure out how to stop water leaking through the cargo doors Confused

Gerrie

Depending on the load inside your bus, you may want to lower the pressure a bit. Pumped up hard might make them a little slippery in the rain.
first_corner_fever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
first_corner_fever wrote:
boetgert wrote:

Regards
Gerrie

Hey Guys

From the first page of this thread:
Quote:
The type2.com library says the 7.00x14 tire had a diameter of 26.22", +/- .24"

26.22" diameter is a circumference of: 82.37"

Thanks Bill and EverettB - great to know they are on the right path. Shame they don't look as good as plys...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus 14" tires - modern equivalent to 7.00x14 Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of at least four Hankook Vantra RA-18 195R14" D rated radials for my '67 Westy.

Okay, my question is should I order a fifth tire for the spare tire position? Can anyone out there who is currently running that particular tire confirm that this tire (mounted and aired up on a stock 14" Bus wheel) fits into the spare tire well of a non-walk-thru Split-Bus without any fit issues, like fitting down into the well or preventing the 2/3 side of the front seat from resting as it should on the bumpers on the bulkhead wall?

I could keep the smaller and older spare tire that is in there now if needed, but if that Hankook Vantra RA-18 195R14" (not the 185 !) fits fine in the well without issues, then I'll spring for a fifth tire when I order. Thanks for any replies from you Vantra RA-18 owners!!!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: