Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Love the colour, I'm rethinking my pearl white colour also LOL. One thing I noticed on the RHD cars is the lack of a crown on the metal dash over the gauges. Do you know why this was done?

Great build, thanks for sharing, very inspiring!

brad
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Love the colour, I'm rethinking my pearl white colour also LOL. One thing I noticed on the RHD cars is the lack of a crown on the metal dash over the gauges. Do you know why this was done?

Great build, thanks for sharing, very inspiring!

brad

Hi Brad
I thought long and hard about the colour change, as I was aiming for as much originality as possible. But just didn't like it, was going to be emerald green at first but love the way the sea blue changes in different lighting.

With the dash, by the crown I assume you mean the bulge/ridge at the top of the dash? I'm not sure and haven't looked at a LHD closely to observe the differences. I suspect it was simply the easiest way to convert it in a timely way. The percentage of RHD cars would be very low, they start off as LHD and then I guess are pulled out of the line for the dash conversion. They'd want that to happen quickly, it is a PITA from a production standpoint to have those differences. The dash and a reinforcing plate at the pedal assembly are the only 'body' changes I am aware of. The pedal assembly is different but picks up the clutch cable and accelerator cable the same as LHD. Speedo cable is longer but driven off same wheel. Wiring loom is different but run down the same side.
So I suspect it was simply quicker to not have that crown above the gauges and glovebox. The whole dash is a bit rough but is covered by the dash mat.

Sputnick60 (Nicholas) or others may be able to comment further, he did a very accurate RHD conversion looking at all the small points of difference. I recall the support struts in the front trunk area were different. I haven't had to do it so haven't closely looked!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

It's all in the stickies Cool..
Essential Guides for Beginners & Experts..../....Factory RHD Model?

here.... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237917

The body changes are most notably the dash, the steering column exit and the supports on the lip of the cowl between the windscreen and trunk ( hood) lid. This is all noted in either my build thread or the RHD thread.

The RHD dash was made in Osnabrueck up by cutting a LHD dash and swapping the sides. The RHD glovebox lid & opening surround had its own small stampings. It was deemed more economical that way than to have a full stamping made up for such small RHD volumes. The second page to the RHD thread shows the welds in detail. It looks to me that the lip (crown?) was "lost" simply because it was easier to do so.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Well most of the interior is in now. It was made up by Kevin Ferguson and installed by an excellent guy local on the coast, Willem at Platinum Trimming. All looking good except for some adjustment needed on the carpet piece in the 'boot' behind the rear seat.

Door trims not in yet as the door windows have to be set up yet. This was to get it to the point the front and rear windscreens could be installed, which is happening Monday. Then back to Barry's for the last little bits and pieces!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally, I forgot these little pieces for the chrome plating. These were in a baggy from disassembly for the rubber strap that holds the rear seat in place. The rusty bit holds one end of the rubber strap to the seat back. There is one hook for the rear shelf to hold the seat up, is the second hook to hold it down? I can't recall that from the disassembly. Took a lot of photos but not of this apparently. Must have seemed obvious at the time but not so right now, 12 odd years later! Anyone know?

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Hi Angus

Your car looks better all the time, and the colour scheme and upholstery colours compliment each other beautifully.

As to the hooks you show: I've seen some photos showing that the one goes onto the rear parcel shelf and the other just above the tunnel to hold the seat back down. Once you lower the seat-back you'll see precisely where that hook has to be.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Anyone know?
Maybe like this?

or this?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

...or this on my '58...one each side.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

My 68 had them between the side windows similar to Johns above... Thought the hooks were a bit small for use as a clothes/dry cleaning hanger. Shocked So these were also used for the rear seat strap holder??
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Those are the 2 hooks that go on each side up on the head liner. The one that holds the seat looks a just little different.
http://www.karmannghia.com/Rear-Seat-Backrest-Hook/item/151-885-561
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I agree these are the roof hooks. Here is one from my 1966.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! There are four hooks in total, two bigger ones that are pretty useless coat hooks mounted above the chrome pillars. I don't have them with me to photograph, but as shown above on the photos by Bob Norman and John Moxon. I can position those as I still have the old headliner as reference.

Then there are the two hooks for the rear seat which are the same style but smaller. The photo crocteau shows with the strap is exactly how I remember it on my seat, except I don't actually recall the lower one just above the hump. It's in the bag though with the other strap pieces so I guess it must have been. I'll check for holes from the rear side, the front is covered with trim now.

Thanks again for the help, it's these last fiddly bits that have you scratching your head a bit trying to recall.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

These are the hooks for the rear seat retaining strap and tunnel.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1790242
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Thanks ghiagirl.

I actually have the original hooks, I just couldn't remember the lower one.

Saw you are near Portland, one of the nicest parts of the US I've been to. Had some nice days exploring around the Columbia River from Portland out to the ocean.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I've been here a few years now, quite the change from living in So Cal. Yes, the Columbia River is beautiful...just a couple miles from my house. Kind of take it for granted when you see it almost every day.

Your Karmann Ghia is looking fantastic!! I love the Sea Blue color scheme.

Here's the location of the lower hook.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1_63ghia/16.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Back when children were projectiles... Oh, those were the days.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
I've been here a few years now, quite the change from living in So Cal. Yes, the Columbia River is beautiful...just a couple miles from my house. Kind of take it for granted when you see it almost every day.

Your Karmann Ghia is looking fantastic!! I love the Sea Blue color scheme.

Here's the location of the lower hook.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1_63ghia/16.jpg

That picture from the manual confirms the photo that crocteau posted above, so that's good. I'm really happy with the sea blue, it wasn't my original choice but came to it and glad I did!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

It looks great, really like the color scheme.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Back when children were projectiles... Oh, those were the days.

When our kids were small my wife had a Karmann Ghia (not this one). It was our family car believe it or not! It had the capsules fitted but we just found it too small when they progressed to seats. The rear seat is fine for little kids if you don't have to worry about proper seat belts/restraints.

We sold it and my wife cried as she signed the papers transferring ownership. I told her then I'd find another one day, and that turned out to be Phoebe!

In Australia it varies a little from state to state but certainly in my state (Queensland) as an adult if the car didn't originally have seat belts they are not required, but kids must have them. As a '63 model, Phoebe has the seat belt mounts but I think it was the late 60s /early 70s before they were required in the front seats, even later for the back seats. I've had a couple of 54 beetles without seat belts, but I'm fitting front seat belts to Phoebe. And once fitted, they can't be legally removed!

As a kid in the 70s, I can remember my parents driving to Melbourne, about 1800kms, with four kids in the back of the station wagon with the seats folded flat. It was like a giant mobile playpen, no seatbelts!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Front and rear windscreens fitted now. The chrome inserts were tricky to fit, must have been tweaked a little in storage. Anyway they are in and look good!

Still waiting for the side alloy sections to be able to fit the pop-outs. But edging closer!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Hi Angus, Getting closer every day, I see. Those "side alloy" pieces allow for about 4mm of play by means of elongated oval shaped screw holes. May I suggest that if you are going to fit new rubber too that you should do a trial fit with the pop-out mechanism in place before you do the final positioning of those alloy pieces?

What I found with mine is that the new rubber is so stiff that you can't close the pop-out windows. A year later the rubber is still too stiff, and I'm going to have to remove everything and move the allow tracks outwards to enable my pop-outs to close properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: