Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems you've been having with your rebuilds is exactly why I've hesitated getting mine rebuilt.
I have a stock, unopened, transmission with 170k on it and although I really want to get it rebuilt to avoid blowing a 3/4 slider (or something else), the thought that I might make matters worse is a nightmare. Hate to think any builder would cut corners when they charge so much.
I have stockpiled all new aluminum bell housing, main case, and gear carriers for the day but I guess I'm waiting for good news from the transmission gods!

Still hoping for someone to build that all new Syncro transmission for under $6000 Rolling Eyes

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect if you sent your trans off with a new Aluminum housing and it came back with an '85 you wouldn't sit on your hands. What other components inside your un-opened 170k trans are in very nice condition, NLA and worth a lot on the open market? You are wise to be certain of your choices. Maybe open it first and have a look before sending it off. And maybe get that 170k '90 case back too, I coulda had one (or is yours 170km?).

While it comes down to a genuine personal connection with your rebuilder, I honestly thought I had one. At my 2009 rebuild (which had lasted from 136k to 147k miles in 3 years) I bought a Peloquin at full pop and GAVE them my OEM locking diff too. OUTRIGHT, thats probably $1000 of 'profit' alone. I was charged the rebuild cost ($1100?) less a $250 discount = $850. And it died again 18,000 miles later.

Then to discover this stuff years later after going over it with a fine-toothed comb, I'm trying to keep my cool while wondering how a regular guy (or girl) would have reacted. Best of luck to you and while I'm sorry to subject you to my sordid affair but you are perhaps wiser. I hope at lease some members appreciate it.

All of the perspectives (especially pro perspectives) provided have HOPEFULLY made samba members wiser, and I suppose some are just lighting candles and thinking good thoughts (glad it wasn't them) and some are merely entertained. And others are s***ting bricks.

$yncros have become big money and a few places are set up to service those who simply have the cash to get in on the $yncro thing. The rest of us who just want the Van can get taken for a ride.

When it was time for me to ship off my trans I had a major anxiety, I built the crate, but just could NOT close it up! Had to get more info on the various rebuilders, and I didn't have a good concept whether they were going to treat me like a friend or like a wallet. A $yncro wallet. I delayed weeks, finally found a guy who said the most foolish thing I can imagine.

He said "I'll even go over it with you when we see whats inside". I did not ASK this of him, he offerred it. I can't imagine this option is available for many, but it was sure what I needed.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I suspect if you sent your trans off with a new Aluminum housing and it came back with an '85 you wouldn't sit on your hands. What other components inside your un-opened 170k trans are in very nice condition, NLA and worth a lot on the open market? You are wise to be certain of your choices. Maybe open it first and have a look before sending it off. And maybe get that 170k '90 case back too, I coulda had one (or is yours 170km?).

170,000 miles. I definitely will be asking for ALL used parts back. And you're right, I've thought about opening it up and engraving a number on the main gears! Laughing

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This,,,, from July 6. I thought MsTaboo was referring to the quality of Peloquin differentials. It's Quaife, I think that has a reputation for lesser quality. I discounted this post entirely at the time, now it seems prescient.

MsTaboo wrote:
Is the Peloquin TBD having an adverse effect?

Should we call you MadameTaboo? Cool

--------------

Seems like time for an UPDATE.

I'm running the trans now. It's smooth & quiet. Its surprising how much noise was made by the trashed pinion bearing. The noise level creeps up on you. If I'da ridden in another van to compare, Id'a been appalled by the noise of my van. But it's nice now, it rolls down the road like greased lightning. The whole transaxle cooling system is not finalized yet, and I'm still running the break-in fluid (Lucas 85w/90). Will switch to Swepco 201 next.

Having four failures in 70k mi, I decided to be my own contractor and oversee this rebuild (somewhat) and learned a few lessons.

0) Driving style Remember back when you put that big engine in, you thought, how's it possible the trans could survive double the power? "Well I'm not going to drive like a moron, I'll drive the SAME. Normal Vanagon driver - except if I need to merge, I can merge." That's what you said. Now you have to actually DO that - go easy on your over-driven transaxle. Some parts are NLA (= No Longer Available).

1) Crap rebuilds. At 104k in '04, 136k in '07, 147k in '09, 165k in '11 and dead again 174k in '15. Some rebuilders (even with good reputations) have at one point or another, put used parts in a rebuild - CERTAINLY you don't change every part in a rebuild. Thats not a rebuild, that's a new trans. But that's impossible, because many parts are NLA (as new). And some parts are more important than others, to be re-newed. The rebuilder put a used pinion bearing in my trans. A new pinion bearing costs something like $120 retail. All pinion bearings loosen up over the miles, and the rebuilder ground down a used bearing little to 'tighten it" like a "new" one. This saves him $120, cost me (up to) $4500. You NEVER put a USED pinion bearing in a "rebuilt transaxle". It is a CRITICAL component, absolutely essential to control end-play and alignment of the Ring & Pinion. Its early demise ruined all kinds of valuable parts along with it. This is a REPREHENSIBLE thing to do to a customer (me) who only got 18k out of the LAST rebuild, and has a large motor too. Or PERIOD Exclamation A used bearing that's ground down, to tighten, is pretty easy to spot if you're looking for it, but you have to remove the pinion shaft to see it.

2) Contamination I have a Peloquin Torque Bias differential (TBD). It's a fully automatic traction enhancer that has many benefits over an open diff, and many benefits over a locker (but mine has a locker too). I found thru a strange turn of events that a Peloquin differential can gather up, and hold a HUGE amount of metal trash from a previous transmission failure. A normal differential is easy to clean. A Peloquin is NOT a simple disassembly, therefore I think it gets skipped. I propose that the dirty Peloquin differential continues to hold this trash on thru your break-in, and even after your 1st oil change. Sometime later when you "spin it up, maybe off-road" all the planetaries in the un-clean Peloquin let loose a torrent of trash into your fresh transaxle. I think my differential was dirty at the 165k rebuild where the (perhaps 2nd?) cheesy USED Pinion bearing was installed. Add double the HP of a WBX and it all goes downhill fast (9,000 miles). It's reasonable that contamination (and the large engine) caused accelerated failure of the used pinion bearing.

Christopher Schimke wrote:
,,,putting an uncleaned oil cooler back onto an engine that spun a bearing, that is a rookie move/mistake, not a seasoned engine rebuilder's mistake.

Never a DUH moment with these sharp fellas! However,,, I submit that in having this Peloquin diff for 6 years, and being quite interested in them, I have NEVER heard/read of anybody suspecting it can harbor contaminants. Never read of anybody disassembling or cleaning one, never heard of a rebuild shop adding a line-item for this time-consuming operation, nor have I read of anyone even pointing out such an omission/rookie mistake. Im sure someone has though. Seems to have slipped thru the cracks in TheSamba though.

3) Temperature I read that many vanagons in the USA are having transmission problems. More with Syncros. Perhaps more trouble than they are having in Europe - strange huh? Maybe it's not true, or maybe there are (were) a LOT of used pinion bearings in the USA, and a lot of contaminated rebuilds in the USA? Anyway temperature due to oversize engines can be a contributor too, so I added a temperature guage, and a temperature-controlled transmission pump, radiator and filter. I hope it wasn't necessary, but as long as it's reliable system it has to help. I'm interested to watch the temps and the filter.

4) Your special parts. My trans has only been opened by one rebuilder (but now two). Somehow, my '90 van has an '85 transmission case. Hmmm howzzat happen? I suppose a '90s case would have been desirable, especially back in 2004. But now, there are LOTS of parts in a Syncro trans that are NLA, and consequently VALUABLE. Possibly a low miles OEM Ring and Pinion is better than a new one? I'm not sure but may find out. Make sure you have a relationship with your builder, where your special parts are certain to get back in YOUR trans.

5) Your valuable parts If you send your Nose cone off to exchange for a decoupler, make identifiable marks on all the parts or take good pics. There are several components in it that are irreplaceable, and quite valuable. My decoupler was rejected, ( $500 BAM !) and the rejected parts came back all clean. No evidence was preserved, for me to KNOW that these were my parts. No hint was given to me PRIOR what conditions might cause rejection. My nose cone appeared perfect, but was rejected because the press fit of the bearing in the case was no longer "press fit". And secondly, I would expect that to preserve customer satisfaction the parts would be left in an identifiable condition; I mean you're gonna take $500 from the customer - no shell games for $500! Of course it COULD have been my nose cone WAS bad. But for $500,,,,,evidence should have been preserved.

6) $yncro talk Some are driving up the cost of transmission repair, especially Syncros.. Possibly a LOT of bad rebuilds out there can be undermining confidence and increasing the amount people are inclined to accept (or forced) to pay for the next rebuild. Truly, it does cost more, but I think the TALK is doubling it. It shouldn't be double. Some folks benefit from more $$$$ changing hands (like if you're selling, or repairing) and everyone is stuck with the cost increases, including thos who simply HAVE one or want to BUY one. Jump on that bandwagon, get numb to it and talk up the cost like a Louis Vitton handbag and it will cost everyone more, you too. Syncro trans cost is NOT a badge of honor, not a special handbag at Nordstroms. It should NOT cost so much.

Man that's a lot of typing. I hope someone finds useful information in my trans rebuild project (and not too many mistakes). Hope not to throw the conscientious rebuilders under the bus too. All of them know how I was treated was WRONG, and they all will take some blame when one of them is behaving poorly. That was 2011. Lets hope nobody's doing cheesy work like this anymore, and that lessons are learned too. And tricks & methods continue to be developed to keep these over-powered trannies running.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

NOW what's happening?

For those who don't wanna read 12 pages and some forum scuffling:

"Rebuilder A" rebuilt my trans 4 times in 70,000 miles since 2004. Their warranty was 3 years and ?? miles (I think now its 2 years?) and the rebuild (sort of) lasted the years but not the miles. Also, I was in denial back then, like everyone else. I'm sure the trans was making noise within the "x years warranty" ,,,,,but the noises increase incrementally; if you're not a transaxle expert it kinda catches you by surprise.

And I wasn't paying attention either - why would I? I had 100,000 free new miles ahead on this rebuild by the best of the best. Plus the general forum wisdom is the magnet catches and holds ALL THE METAL PARTICLES. It doesn't. The only conclusive magnet is one that has lots of clear space between metal particles. It's like a wastebasket, if it's 1/4-full you can assume that's all the trash. But if it's "full" it tells you that you don't know how much trash is still there all over the floor. Vanagon transaxles are often run for thousands of miles in a horrible, abrasive metal soup, destroying the other parts too.

So I kept having to buy full-pop rebuilds but "A" was kind enough to give $200 - $250 discounts. In 2015 (lasted 9,000 miles) I took it to "Rebuilder B". "B" took it apart with me watching, and we found that "A" had put used parts in critical locations, and we found stuff worn much worse than if rebuilt 9,000 miles ago. A used pinion bearing, for example, the most critical bearing in the trans, was ground down a little on a beltsander and put into my trans to save $100 (saves for them not me). It failed quickly. This is how they treat a guy who paid them (almost) full pop 3 times! Also my van was a 1990 but the case I have is 1985 and "A" was the only company who rebuilt it. So I lost my '90 case somewhere along the line at "A's" shop. Case exchange was not listed in any invoice.

If anyone read this whole thread (too much reading I'm sure) you may notice some forceful Samba members driving the discussion. I understand forum dynamics and discussing real people's businesses with no culpability on the member's part is a problem. It's a slippery slope, extremely unfair, where members can walk away unscathed but the business has mouths to feed. But in any case the result of NOT discussing it there's a long period of time on TheSamba where the members were not getting the information they needed, and the business was not getting the feedback it needed either. Members don't "walk away" in that regard, but they sometimes have to pay thru the nose. I sure did.

I have since found problems with B's methods too. For example he cannot see defects, very important defects. And he cannot see if the trans is clean (before reassembly). Which is neither here nor there because he doesn't clean it anyway. If your trans is full of microscopic metal fines this is CRUCIAL to the health of your new bearings. B does a lot of steps by "feel", doesn't measure endplays, etc. I suppose with skill some of these steps can be skipped. I've since learned that endplays CORRECT are crucial to having the (small) transaxle survive a big motor. Perhaps it's OK to skip them for a stock motor? IDK.

And other things. B does not use any "heat" in assembling or dissembling the trans, which poses a risk of damaging parts upon dissembly or damaging upon reassembly of your new trans. He broke one of my parts on dissembly, and told me "that's just how it goes sometimes". Tom L said he's NEVER broken that part, it practically falls off when removed with heat, and furthermore is a critical component to be very careful with (the "Gear Carrier Housing"). There were many more problems all of them inexcusable. Carrier bearings not pressed in all the way, 1/16" off the land (on each side!). The Weddle mainshaft ballbearing hold-down installed with NO stop-bolt! And Of course, finding thick deposits of metal-filled sludge leftover from "A's 9,000-mile rebuild" that B should have cleaned out.

"B" uses air impact tools on the trans case bolts, little M8 bolts into magnesium that strip all the time. It's a huge risk to blast them in - on 30-year old transmission cases. You don't know if some other builder stressed it over the last 30 years, and you just blast it in with an air tool? You need to FEEL HOW it came up to torque. Did it come up hard or soft? Two of mine were stripped, did B do it or did A do it? Who knows?

I really hate to type stuff like this, but I equally hate cringing for you poor bastards out there with a noisy tranny, and have to make a DECISION. Good LUCK. Should transaxle rebuilders should GET ON TheSamba and ask for your business? Mr Gas operates in the daylight, probably a good bet. Tom Lengyel doesn't WANT to rebuild that many transaxles, but agrees to do a few, and only if he thinks he might enjoy it. Of course Tom will do a fantastic job if he takes the job. There are different styles of working out there, to be respected. And there are other builders. Another guy likes Arizona, German Transaxle, Rancho, Western, GoWesty, Porters Precision and likely many others I don't know about. Keep in mind that my assessments may represent just one strange instance or could be just "wrong".

This (5th) time around I was adamant about no 'halfway' parts in my trans.
B billed me for a $1300 Weddle ring&pinion, but opening it up at Tom Lengyel's SyncroShop (Builder "C" and rebuild #6) we found a $600 R&P from China. I don't know if the Weddle is actually better than the China R&P but the discovery was certainly "illuminating" that I didn't get the parts we discussed. A Weddle certainly looks better under a microscope (comparison photos) but I don't know which will run more miles. I would like to have my $700 back though.

Back when they all had 100,000 miles, lots of YOUR remaining parts were good, but now all your parts are kinda run out, and the low-mile used parts are long gone. Engines are bigger now. Why would there be any good used parts when every wrecked van has 250,000 miles? Only new parts are available now, but are they the quality of OEM VW parts? Need to be VERY wary of used parts, they should have as many or more miles than yours.

I don't think you can rebuild a trans cheaply anymore. That's why I added oil cooling & high-level filtering.

The transaxle business is a difficult subject to discuss on theSamba, ask a few pointed questions and you'll see. And remember there's big engines and driving styles that will have a HUGE effect on longevity of a 60 HP transaxle. One guy spins his tiny bearings at 6,000 RPM, 2,000 higher than the WBX. Another guy thinks he's being nice to it because never revs his 240HP motor, but he's actually lugging it, pounding on the tiny trans with a huge sledgehammer. And so it goes, transaxle blues.

You might be wondering how rebuild #6 is doing? Not good. I ran it in May 2016 and 300 miles later yanked it back out, because I was finding steel particles in the filter. Also, the 1985 case that I so carefully plumbed for oiling had a crack near the differential carrier screwthreads and is total scrap now. The source of the steel was, the decoupler shift fork fell off. The decoupler coupling then rubbed on the low gear bearing, filling my new #6 rebuild with steel particles in its first 300 miles. All my new bearings are pock-marked. So it's apart again. The decoupler that fell apart was a brand new AA decoupler. If I could do it again I'd buy the VanCafe unit. I've seen inside it, it's much higher build quality.

I'm currently running a spare (stock) trans with an oil cooling /filtering system plumbed into the fill & drain. I'm not spinning it fast, and I'm not lugging it. I'm filtering the oil like a madman all wacked out on OCD.

We need a bigger trans - with a granny. Or better rebuild parts. And did I say with granny?

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Man I hate this, I feel sick already. You guys need to know where to send your trans. And customers need to accept that the shop is taking a chance by warrantying YOUR old parts. I'd like to see others discussing this and if not - I said my part - I should stay out of it.

REMEMBER that lots of folks have stickershock, will push the rebuilder to save them money, but in the end, when the trans doesn't last - it's the rebuilders fault. Not the customer who told him to save money THEN sped off with 2x the Horsepower that the van came with. (or 3x the Horsepower that the trans was designed for back in the '70s.) You have a small trans and a big engine, you are partly to blame.

This is a VERY REAL part of rebuilding transmissions.

Nobody has a crystal ball. A Ring& Pinion that has run 250,000 miles cannot pretend it's new just because it has new bearings. The customer asks "is it good?" Rebuilder answers "I can't see any problems, I'd run it". And so it goes even in the best of shops. That's a gamble that the customer SHOULD accept, -OR- buy a new R&P.

If rebuilders agreed to every warranty - that's all they'd ever be doing, and they'd get screwed. But they shouldn't be giving some poor customer used parts when they've already paid 3 times then charge them a 4th time AGAIN (for used junk parts).

Note that if the customers don't share the blame, the conversion engines would just keep "getting bigger and bigger". A very real problem for ALL rebuilders, even the BEST.

This issue is tough on both sides. Without these big conversion engines, enthusiasm for Vanagons would die back some. Consequently the rebuilders have to accept some risk for increase in HP. But it's not ALL on their shoulders. The only thing on their shoulders should be "good work".

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

CRIPES! Another one gone?!! Sorry to hear this Sodo. I drive my all stock Syncro Westy very lightly, shift slowly, don't over lug, don't over rev. My Syncro with the Quattro trans I drive hard with about 200 hp and enjoy every minute of it, lug it or rev it 7k.
Thanks for sharing all your very detailed experiences here, Hopefully the next rebuild will be the one to last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this Sodo. Hopefully gears will be to the rescue with a new transaxle for us soon...
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Convert it to 2wd and never have a problem again??? Rolling Eyes

Jokes aside though, the syncro tax is REAL and i'm sorry to hear you've had all this trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

I have a AA Decoupler. I'd like to hear details of your failure and comparison to the Van-Cafe unit. Wouldn't a VC unit actually be a GW unit?

I thought when I bought it, the general consensus was that AAs was the best aside from a German unit from Syncro Services.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Sodo-so sorry to hear it's happening again.
And we are back to this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665489

I also have heard that the AA decoupler was the preferred design here in North America. I put an AA decoupler in my 16" Joker and was sad when I sold it, wishing I had swapped it out for the Van-Cafe one(Tom Lengyel's?) that's in my Syncro Westy so I would have the better one in the van I'm keeping.
Now I'm wondering if I'm better off having left it alone. (Note, I have over 50k on the V-C decoupler with no problems)

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

MsTab, "it happened" back in June 2016, 300 miles after I got my high-zoot pressure-oiled tranny all bolted in. It's all torn apart currently. I located a hoarded spare trans and quickly bought it and have been driving that trans all over, squirting oil at the 4th gear mesh thru the filler hole.

=========

Be happy with the VanCafe decoupler, it's a FINE unit, I want one. But I have NEVER HEARD of another AA decoupler coming apart However, theSamba is ALMOST my only source of Vanagon info. I suspect this was a rare occurrence.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The AA shift fork is a piece of lasercut flat stock that has about 1/4" of engagement, and visible "wobble" on its shaft. I have a video of this but can't post videos. The shift fork wobbles up and down about 1/8". I suspect due to the wobble, it walked it's e-clip off.

Tom Lengyel's (VanCafe) have a CNC machined shift fork with about 3/4" of engagement on the shaft, there cannot be any wobble, period. The shaft is centerless ground - it's a precision unit. And the e-clip is twice as thick as the AA e-clip.

When I called VanCafe the salesman said it had a "plastic bearing", so I rejected it in favor of the "needled" AA. The VanCafe salesman didn't tell me that all Honda cars use these 'plastic' bearings in their transmissions where power is transferred. Where Vanagons have ball & needle bearings on the shafts, the Hondas use these 'plastic' bearings and they go the distance. It's been proven for many years. 20 years? 30 years, no question they perform. He just said "plastic", and I was thinking of something cut out of a milk jug. I never thought it might be a modern, engineered plastic transmission bearing. Dang.

The bearing (needle bearing is visible in this AA coupler) operates in an environment of "Zero" power, its only purpose is to align one end of the output shaft, so any bearing will survive, even no bearing at all. Which has been proven by GoWesty's decoupler, they've has no bearing at all, for many years. This notion that this plastic bearing could be inadequate for a zero power environment, is nonsensical.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

WOW! this is crazy. another problem? I thought you had all the issues addressed. Ive been following the SODO Adventure. I cant believe with all the research and effort you have in to this and still have problems. I wish you luck in your next rebuild. ive never seen the fork come off any other decoupler! they are loose like you describe but vacuum operated shouldn't tear it apart.
I was asked the other day by Green Syncro how I handle all the syncro warranty issues we see here on thesamba. From all that is posted people think this is always a problem. Since I started my Own trans business after leaving my job in AZ 3 years ago. Sodo has had more 2x more comebacks/ Failures than I have entirely in 3-4 years. Knock on Wood! I am not trying to get more work from this, I have plenty. Knock on Wood! I would like to see every one enjoy their Vans like I Do. Brown Vanagon
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

In regard to the case being swapped out, I'd venture to say unless yours has been painted before it was shipped out its not yours. I know a couple folks last year that needed a trans a.s.a.p while traveling in the PNW and were able to get them really really quick. Now sure maybe they have a stock of rebuilt shop owned tranny's sitting on the shelf, but the words said on one of these occasions was I'm just finishing one up and can have it ready for pickup tomorrow. Which leads me to believe it was someone else's. That or maybe it was a shop owned unit that was being rebuilt. But I see this highly unlikely, given the moral integrity I've experienced with said shop
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Ugh. Sodo this makes me sick to my wallet. So sorry to hear this. However, like syncrojael, thank you for being 100% transparent with all your recent failures for the rest of us to learn from. So many do not write about their "what went wrongs" out of fear of being flamed by cantankerous, know it all members, so the rest of us fall into those same traps.
The real sad part of this story is now Mrgas' lead time probably just went from 2 weeks to 2 months Wink. Glad i got mine done from him 1.5 year ago (still strong).
FWIW I went with the VC decoupler as I have used them in every syncro Ive owned and have never witnessed a problem with them. If a problem did occur 10 out of 10 times it was a vacuum line issue that was easily resolved.
The thread that highly pushed the AA decoupler was also strongarmed by a banned member who tried fiercely to bully you early in this thread. I never put much stock in what that member had to say as I found too much wrong information being touted by him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
The real sad part of this story is now Mrgas' lead time probably just went from 2 weeks to 2 months Wink. Glad i got mine done from him 1.5 year ago (still strong)

That's the problem with the one-man-shop.

The Feast = In busy times the one-man-shop can't get any work done cuz the phone stops progress, increasing the time customers have to wait.

Famine = can't go camping or have a life because you need to be there in case the phone rings. When you finally take a week off in 3 years somebody posts on the internet that you must be making a fortune cuz you never answer your phone.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Sodo, Yikes not again!

I feel your pain as only another Syncro owner that has to keep installing transaxles could know. I do understand that all the used parts we keep putting back in these is a crap shoot. I have also heard that the new parts are not as good of quality as the OEM German parts, so what is a guy to do??? Shocked

I am also sorry your other builder did not have the experience to perform the rebuild correctly. All I can do is cross my fingers (along with lots of others) that the builder that is doing my work has the experience, tools, and cares about the task at hand. I do believe Greg (Mr. Gas) has these qualities. He too is concerned about the quality of parts that he gets and we also re-use many parts that looks to be in good condition. Yes, his wait to build time is double what it was a year ago, and he has trouble getting parts too.

I do not blame the builder if he is honest and straight up with customers. They cannot control all the variables that are a part of a "RE-BUILD", and we have to remember that these are not new transaxles with OEM spec parts anymore. Used is used. Good used is good used but not new. We abuse them with big tires, big motors, and a lead foot trying to keep up with traffic.

I have been on the path to help and save my transaxles now. I have reduced the weight that everyone all believed to be my demise. I drive slower, shift slower, do not rev as high, do not lug the engine, change the oil often, filter and cool the oil, listen for noises, and just pay more attention to everything more. I have even purchased 16" rims and am going with smaller tires to get back closer to the stock revolutions per mile, and lose some of the torque loading on the drivetrain.

Doing all of this stuff makes my van not look like my van anymore! Crying or Very sad But it is unbearable to rebuild the transaxle every year or two. Especially now that parts are more expensive and almost impossible to acquire.

I feel everyone's pain when I hear about transaxle noises, and failures.

I just stepped out and looked at the odometer in the van. This rebuild now has 6,753 miles since installed. I keep an eye on the oil fiters and listen, listen, and listen for anything coming from the tranny. Rolling Eyes It kinda takes the fun out of just taking the van out for a drive sometimes...

So sorry again Sodo. Crying or Very sad

EDIT: by the way, I am running an AA decoupler also. A few years ago it was touted as one of the better ones to purchase. I guess time will tell.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

It is totally possible for the throw out bearing to be making this wow noise.

Stick your ear to the bell housing area.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

These trans threads have been real eye-closers!
From now on I vow to drive with my ears plugged, my eyes narrowed and my brain turned off. For the sake of my own sanity I will no longer read any thread with word "syncro" in it.
If I ever need to replace my Syncro I will not modify the new one in ANY way! Laughing

...Sorry for your troubles guys. I hope it all works out for you in the end-play.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro transmission rebuild every 10-20k miles Reply with quote

Hey Dave:

With a stock engine, no need to worry. I bought my Syncro from the original owner who was a careful owner who had the vehicle well maintained. When Darryl rebuilt the factory original transaxle at 225,000 miles, he saw very little wear. I did this rebuild as preventive maintenance and to add overdrive, 3rd and 4th gears and oiling plates. That's when I added the SVX engine.

I now have 262,000 miles on this rig and so far, so good, with this rebuild. Fingers crossed. Pray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: