Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so soon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I just ordered the 3x3 Appletree kit with the 930 joints and axles and all, so you're saying I might need an even longer shock to get the best use of the arms? Have you clearanced for more droop on your spring plates too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I notched the bottom of the plates 1/8" for a max cv angle of 17* at full droop and left the top of the arms alone. I ended up with 10.5"of wheel travel. I had the joints at 15* with no mods. The notch gained 2* of cv angle and 2 plus inches of droop. I would imagine 22*plus on the cvs would need quite a notch. I don't know when torsion eliminators and coil overs are required.
My stock 22mm bars are too soft, will be procuring larger torsion bars.
The way my shocks are located I am using about 8.5"of travel.
You should probably set wheel travel before determining what travel shocks are needed and how to mount them.
Hoping to have engine cage ironed out before christmas.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ran into something last night on my buggy, it shows somewhat in this pic. I have short torsion bars and single spring plates. It looks like your spring plate has a good amount of twist. I'm contemplating should I install my spring plate inboard of the trailing arm?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Mine has the dual spring plates, no brainer. Is your spring plate all the way into the torsion? Will the spting plate hit the bottom and top stops? I searched the off road gallery for a few pages and the only pic of a single spring plate showed it on the outside of the arm like your pic.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

It's definitely not seated all the way, I've got a good 3/4" or so to go but currently the spring plate is straight. I did see in another post that both heavy washers need to be on the swing arm pivot bolt head side and I have them one on each side, so I imagine moving the inside washer back to the outside might help twist the spring plate mount on the arm a bit.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
It's definitely not seated all the way, I've got a good 3/4" or so to go but currently the spring plate is straight. I did see in another post that both heavy washers need to be on the swing arm pivot bolt head side and I have them one on each side, so I imagine moving the inside washer back to the outside might help twist the spring plate mount on the arm a bit.

Is the spring plate seated fully into the torsion housing? IF not, flip the spring plate to the inside of the arm.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
pullstart wrote:

Is the spring plate seated fully into the torsion housing? IF not, flip the spring plate to the inside of the arm.

No, it's not seated by far. I'll swap the spring plate to the inside and see how it looks.

Thanks guys!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

With single spring plates, the trailing arm tab should be bolted onto the outboard side of the spring plate.

Dual spring plates should be assembled one spring plate inboard, and one outboard of the trailing arm bracket.

cbeck, yours appears

to have a single spring plate, although the blue outboard spring pate may be lost in the blue torsion cap background. Single or dual, it looks in that pic like the tab on the trailing arm is too far outboard.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I never noticed the spring plate angle until I looked closer at that pic. Going to try to make more time after the holidays. Guess that should be the first thing I look at when I dig it back out. I plan on bigger bars and am seriously considering some adjustable spring plates. Reindexing is free but a pain.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

May want to reconsider those adjustable plates, especially for an off-road car. They will not hold up very well to any real abuse.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I never noticed the spring plate angle until I looked closer at that pic. Going to try to make more time after the holidays. Guess that should be the first thing I look at when I dig it back out. I plan on bigger bars and am seriously considering some adjustable spring plates. Reindexing is free but a pain.

Maybe it's the angle of the camera view that makes it look crooked? From reading on here, I know I need to shift my washer outboard on the pivot bolt... I have one on each side of the bushing and I guess they're both supposed to be on the bolt head side.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Correct that both washers are "supposed to be" outboard of the arm. In certain circumstances of alignment, 1 may be moved inboard of the arm.

Regardless of the camera angle in that picture, the angle of the torsion housing end still should be parallel to the spring plate, which the picture shows as not being the case.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck, did you need to trim the spring plate mounts on your trailing arms for more up travel? It appears yours are much more slim than mine.

I do now realize my spring plate is on the wrong side of the trailing arm, that is being redone. But this is the best picture I have showing the shape of my trailing arm / spring plate mount.

Currently I have about 7.5" of travel measured at the axle shaft and I have not yet shaved any part of my spring plate, only cut the stock shock mounts off the frame.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Good eye. I did trim the top of the arms. I think they wanted to rob on the diagonal bar going up and to the rear from what is left of the factory shock mount.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Gotcha. More travel, here I come! Thanks for confirming.

I'm thinking the days of the bottom cast stop are over, I'll end up with limiting straps. One of my castings is cracked right at the outer edge and I think I'll trim it off rather than trying to brace it.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Sorry for all the questions cbeck, just trying to plan more and mistake less... Are your rear shocks heim end or a rubber bushing? The only shock picture I see is of the fronts when you got your beam components. I tell you what, all your pictures documenting the build are helping me a ton!

Also, you mentioned the car moved under it's own power, but did you mention how the suspension rode or reacted to cornering/bumps?

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Heims.
The 22mm long torsions are too soft, even for the street. 30* preload and still not as high as I want. Thinking 25 or 26mm bars are needed.
I can only find a pic of the bottom mount. Hard to see the flat stock going from the end of the boss down to the square tube. I will get a pic of the top mount.

Got to work on the tune when I can drive it more. Pulls smooth and hard from 1500 to 6000 rpm. I think these help.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Sorry for the crappy pics, I lost my camera. I used 1 x .250 tubing for the shock bosses. Glad my headaches are helping somebody. I am more of a beat it and fix it kind of guy. Never been this deep into fabricating before.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

My torsions are short 22mm. I guess I'll have to give them a shot, but I'm assuming for my 4 seater if it is loaded with riders will be pretty squishy. At compression, how much of an angle do you suppose those heims are at? I'm wondering because the initial shocks I wanted to try are off the shelf 1/2 ton Chevy truck shocks that measure 27.75 extended with just over 10" travel.

I think my power department won't be struggling much once that 2.5 subi engine jumps out of the donor and into the buggy. I'm hoping now that this won't take up my summer of driving time!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

With the shock mounts at the same angle as the trailing arm pivot bolt there should not be much angle on the heims. Eshocks.com has some charts on what they reccomend based on what you have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: